Now what?

Options
So I am really happy with my current plan and I have seen more progress physically than I have in the whole previous year.

But...I lift at home. Barbell and bench. That's it. So now I am at a point where I cannot lift the barbell over my head to do a back squat. When the hubs and I workout together he can lift it up for me but when we don't...I am not sure what to do. I have tried putting it on the bench and lifting it from there but I don't really have the leverage in need to not strain my back.

So...how do I continue to progress without adding weight? Should I keep set the same but add more reps, add more sets, change tempo? Advice appreciated.

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Get a squat rack or get a completely new routine unfortunately. Definitely stop doing back squats without a rack.

I went through this for a while. Good way to get hurt. Switch to front squats or maybe do a dumbbell program or something. Search Craigslist and eventually you'll find a relatively cheap rack. It's totally worth the investment.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't have a rack.. (and we don't have room for one) I don't even attempt back squats. I do zerchers (I deadlift the weight up then scoop my arms under), goblet, use dumbbells, landmine, Bulgarian or single leg squats. I also incorporate pause squats and bands to make it more challenging. Is it ideal? Not really. But I still get the job done.
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A pair of squat stands might be the solution. They should not take too much space.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    So I am really happy with my current plan and I have seen more progress physically than I have in the whole previous year.

But...I lift at home. Barbell and bench. That's it. So now I am at a point where I cannot lift the barbell over my head to do a back squat. When the hubs and I workout together he can lift it up for me but when we don't...I am not sure what to do. I have tried putting it on the bench and lifting it from there but I don't really have the leverage in need to not strain my back.

So...how do I continue to progress without adding weight? Should I keep set the same but add more reps, add more sets, change tempo? Advice appreciated.

Have you tried doing front squats? Place the bar across the front of your shoulders, OR you can squat with dumbells in your hands.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position and use dumbells though I'm not convinced they are as effective.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've just got a set of stands pretty cheap which canine used for benching as well.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the stands, but at ~$400 they are not an option.

I should also clarify: I can actually get the bar over my head when I can get it up to my shoulders. It is that I cannot move the bar from the top of my hips (l deadlift the bar to standing) to the front of my shoulders. I tried the front squat suggestion today but I had the same problem- I can't get the bar to my shoulders. The hubs, like above, suggested I use dumbells but I can't lift the individual dumbells to my shoulders so - ugh. When I can get the bar to my shoulders I can even press it up, I just don't have the strength to move it to my shouldners.

So, all of that to say: where do I go from here? I don't want to switch programs cuz it really is working for me and I like it. But since I can't increase weight right now I don't k kw how to progress.... more reps, sets, both? Thoughts?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't have a rack.. (and we don't have room for one) I don't even attempt back squats. I do zerchers (I deadlift the weight up then scoop my arms under), goblet, use dumbbells, landmine, Bulgarian or single leg squats. I also incorporate pause squats and bands to make it more challenging. Is it ideal? Not really. But I still get the job done.

That is what I would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpy4ADmlo1E
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Even though this suggestion is for two exercises - lifting the bar over your head onto your back for a squat is partially the movement for a shoulder press. Work light weights and develop your shoulder strength. I would not increase the current weight you're pushing over your head for your squats...instead maybe lower down to a weight you can carefully and able to push over your head and to set on your trap/back area. Develop better shoulder strength and you can lift more weight over your head for your squats.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to learn to clean the bar into the rack position. If you can press it above your head you should be able to clean the bar into the front rack. Google how to do cleans and see if that helps. Also buy a squat rack because you should seen reach a point where you can squat far more than you can press over your head.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the stands, but at ~$400 they are not an option.

I should also clarify: I can actually get the bar over my head when I can get it up to my shoulders. It is that I cannot move the bar from the top of my hips (l deadlift the bar to standing) to the front of my shoulders. I tried the front squat suggestion today but I had the same problem- I can't get the bar to my shoulders. The hubs, like above, suggested I use dumbells but I can't lift the individual dumbells to my shoulders so - ugh. When I can get the bar to my shoulders I can even press it up, I just don't have the strength to move it to my shouldners.

So, all of that to say: where do I go from here? I don't want to switch programs cuz it really is working for me and I like it. But since I can't increase weight right now I don't k kw how to progress.... more reps, sets, both? Thoughts?

To progress, you want to make sure it is getting more challenging. If increasing weight isn't an option, you could increase your reps, sets, time under tension, decrease rests, add bands, you can incorporate rest pauses, holds etc.

ETA: You can get stands but honesty I would still be wary of lifting alone doing back squats with no safety bar or spotter.. I have seen quite a few injuries with people going too heavy and falling under the bar. That is just my opinion though
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you can get squat stands for much less than $400 look on gumtree or ebay for squat rack or stands eventually one will come up near where you live.

In mean time do either front squats or Overhead squats you will need to decrease the weight for both compared to your back squat
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    conseanery wrote: »
    Even though this suggestion is for two exercises - lifting the bar over your head onto your back for a squat is partially the movement for a shoulder press. Work light weights and develop your shoulder strength. I would not increase the current weight you're pushing over your head for your squats...instead maybe lower down to a weight you can carefully and able to push over your head and to set on your trap/back area. Develop better shoulder strength and you can lift more weight over your head for your squats.

Agreed. This is what I did when I just had a barbell and a cheap bench.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Have you considered investing in a trap bar? This is what I've done, rather than risk injury by squatting at home without a safety rack.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    DB squats and variations? It would seem a cheaper, easier, and safer solution. You can always invest in a set of straps if grip becomes a concern. It doesn't sound like you are squatting very heavy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd just do front squats...clean it and front squat.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Try hack squats (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html). Safe to do without safety bars/a spotter. You can also try front squats with lighter weights as other posters mentioned.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sounds like you need to learn to clean the bar into the rack position. If you can press it above your head you should be able to clean the bar into the front rack. Google how to do cleans and see if that helps. Also buy a squat rack because you should seen reach a point where you can squat far more than you can press over your head.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Once you get the hang of the clean, I'm pretty sure that you'll likely be able to blast up just as much weight as you can realistically front squat. After that, if you learn to jerk, you could always then drop the bar onto your shoulders, behind the neck push press style.

ETA: you could also do Steinborn squats, which is how people squatted before racks were a thing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Join a gym??
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian Split Squat is probably the best option.

I workout at home too and I only have a barbell, and a pull-up bar, same problems as you do.

I found the best option for squats was to do Bulgarian Split Squats. You only use about 1/2 the weight as a back squat, but since you are using only one leg, they are a little bit less than twice as hard. You raise a light weight barbell into back squat position, put your rear leg on a bench or chair or something and do a one-legged squat. Google them. Depending on the location of your front leg, you can make them more or less quad or glute/ham dominant. Front foot more forward for quad dominant further back for glute/ham dominant. They are really, really tough. The only drawback is that you don't get the upper body/core strengthening as much since your upper body isn't quite working as hard, but you can compensate for that by doing overhead presses.

OR, you can learn to Power Clean or Clean the bar to front squat. This is a good movement all by itself. I just don't fancy the front squat, but I do love the Power Clean.