Hey guys before I go any further I would like to give you guys my stats:

18 years old
5'6" (kinda short Ik lol)
133 lbs

1RM's:
Bench - 160
Squat - 245
Deadlift - 275

I've been lifting consistently for a year and I know none of these numbers are anything amazing. I'm currently eating at a deficit in order to cut a little fat before starting a lean bulk.

This past year my goals were primarily aesthetics and hypertrophy but now I realized I should focus more on strength but I do not want to totally ignore aesthetics. I was wondering which program would I be better off starting after this mini cut.
Wendler's 5/3/1 or Candito's 6 Week Strength? Which would allow me to see the most results both physically and on the bar?
Or do you guys think I will see better strength and hypertrophy gains on another program?

I'm trying to make the most strength gains while maintaining a lean physique.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 can work fine, but with it's progression scheme, it's more of a long term thing. That said, if you pick up the new book 5/3/1 Forever, you'll have literally thousands of potential template combinations to play with over the years.

IMO, the original 5/3/1 is pretty dated and terrible.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys before I go any further I would like to give you guys my stats:

18 years old
    5'6" (kinda short Ik lol)
    133 lbs

1RM's:
    Bench - 160
    Squat - 245
    Deadlift - 275

I've been lifting consistently for a year and I know none of these numbers are anything amazing. I'm currently eating at a deficit in order to cut a little fat before starting a lean bulk.

This past year my goals were primarily aesthetics and hypertrophy but now I realized I should focus more on strength but I do not want to totally ignore aesthetics. I was wondering which program would I be better off starting after this mini cut.
    Wendler's 5/3/1 or Candito's 6 Week Strength? Which would allow me to see the most results both physically and on the bar?
    Or do you guys think I will see better strength and hypertrophy gains on another program?

I'm trying to make the most strength gains while maintaining a lean physique.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Why do you think you have to work on either aesthetic and hypertrophy or strength? You can work on all three at the same time. That is why there are programs like PHUL. There are days that are lower rep/higher weight strength work and days that are higher rep, lower weight hypertrophy work.

Don't get my wrong, 5/3/1 is a great program if your is pure strength gains and I enjoy the format, but if you want something a bit more rounded, PHUL is a great program to get into as well. After PHUL, if you need more volume, than you can move onto PHAT or PH3.