Your definition of HIIT

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
It came up in another thread that everybody said what HIIT wasn't, but nobody said what it was.
And since we know that in the fitness world (and even more specifically MFP world) people make up individual definitions for everything (actual definitions be damned) let's hear your definition of HIIT.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A series of high intensity exercise intervals elevating heart rate to 80 to 90% of max with short active recovery periods in between. Preceeded by a warm up and followed by an active cool down. Can be sprints, bike sprints, elliptical or barbell complexes or other activities that create similar conditions Possibly I am wrong and would welcome learning more.

• ChristabelMB
    ChristabelMB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Short intense work out, followed by short rest, repeated over a number of times. For example I would consider running for 2 minutes then walking for 30 seconds to be a hiit workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A series of short work periods with longer recovery periods. Work periods should be in between 95 and 98% Max Heart Rate with recovery between 50 and 70%. Work periods would generally be around 20 seconds with recovery of up to 120 seconds.

The aim is improving VO2MAX and it's complementary to base aerobic training and threshold training.

Optimally during the latter part of a training cycle prior to taper for competition.

I would generally expect a long warm up to prepare for the physiological demands. I'd generally aim to warm up for 15 minutes

Fwiw marketeers in general are third up against the wall come the time of the glorious revolution. Those that describe standard circuit training as HIIT may get ushered up the queue.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    10 second sprint/50 second walk, wash/rinse/repeat for 20 minutes (does not include 3 minute warmup/cool-down)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My definition would be very short duration maximal effort (or very close to maximal effort) bursts followed by longer recovery periods. The bursts should be of anaerobic intensity.

Would be wary of using HR as a measure as there is too much lag. I do a 30 second maximal effort power test from time to time on a power meter bike and my HR only gets to about 150bpm - way short of my max HR.

Things I wouldn't class as HIIT:
    • Anything that resembles fast paced circuit training.
    • Anything where the high intensity interval isn't very short duration (seconds) and all out (or very close to all out) effort.

Sorry @ChristabelMB to pick you out but wouldn't consider your example as HIIT at all - it's just interval training.
    For example I would consider running for 2 minutes then walking for 30 seconds to be a hiit workout.
    Doesn't make it poor training style but It would have to be short sprint (not run), longer recovery to be HIIT.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Generally, the recovery period should be longer than the work period, Although the Tabata Protocol violates this rule. The Tabata Protocol also runs for a total of only 4 minutes.

But yes, the general rule is... Warmup/Cooldown Min 5 mins each(or HR based) 10-30 seconds work followed by a programmed rest period that is at least as long as the work period.

It can be done with HR as a measure, but due to the lag, the recovery periods will of necessity be longer.

• mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Not what I thought HIIT was. I've been doing more interval training, I guess. Doing 20-45 seconds with 1o-15 sec recovery.

So is tabata not HIIT, then? Those are 20 sec of intensity, 10 sec rest.

Genuinely curious. I think there is a lot out there labeled as HIIT that does not fit the definition. Still, great workouts, though.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    Interesting. Not what I thought HIIT was. I've been doing more interval training, I guess. Doing 20-45 seconds with 1o-15 sec recovery.

So is tabata not HIIT, then? Those are 20 sec of intensity, 10 sec rest.

Genuinely curious. I think there is a lot out there labeled as HIIT that does not fit the definition. Still, great workouts, though.

Tabata is kind of a special exception. Because of the recovery periods what it actually works out to be is 4 minutes of near max HR/Aerobic training.

The problem is most people who are doing "tabata" aren't doing Tabata.

Pushups, burpees, air squats. Not Tabata, even if you do them 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest.

Rowing, sprinting, Spin bike. Tabata.

Kettlebell swings/snatch/cleans..... Maybe Tabata, Maybe not.
  • mom2kateRH
    Options
    I have so much to learn! I guess I have been doing HIIT then. I jog for 5-10 minutes, then Sprint 20 sec, walk 10sec repeat for total of 8 times. Cool down jog.

But I've also been doing exercises labeled HIIT that I guess are more circuit training or interval.

But, at the end of the day, I'm fitter and stronger, no matter what it's called! Variety is good, right?
  • mom2kateRH
    Options
    And, sorry stanmann, I see you specifically addressed tabata in an earlier post. My (zero calorie) coffee has not kicked in yet
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    I have so much to learn! I guess I have been doing HIIT then. I jog for 5-10 minutes, then Sprint 20 sec, walk 10sec repeat for total of 8 times. Cool down jog.

But I've also been doing exercises labeled HIIT that I guess are more circuit training or interval.

But, at the end of the day, I'm fitter and stronger, no matter what it's called! Variety is good, right?

I would sprint faster, and rest longer. If you can do high enough intensity sprints for 20 seconds, there should be no way you'd be ready to go again in 10seconds....
  • mmapags
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My definition would be very short duration maximal effort (or very close to maximal effort) bursts followed by longer recovery periods. The bursts should be of anaerobic intensity.

Would be wary of using HR as a measure as there is too much lag. I do a 30 second maximal effort power test from time to time on a power meter bike and my HR only gets to about 150bpm - way short of my max HR.

• Anything where the high intensity interval isn't very short duration (seconds) and all out (or very close to all out) effort.

Sorry @ChristabelMB to pick you out but wouldn't consider your example as HIIT at all - it's just interval training.
    For example I would consider running for 2 minutes then walking for 30 seconds to be a hiit workout.
    Doesn't make it poor training style but It would have to be short sprint (not run), longer recovery to be HIIT.

So then barbell complexes, 5 exercises, 6 reps, probably a couple of minutes, followed by about a 2 minute recovery, would you consider these HIIT? They are very high intensity (done right) but a little longer duration.
    Sounds like you would consider my sprints HIIT? Warm up, 120 yard sprint (never timed it but I'm guessing 20 seconds or so), walk back, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, go again. 5 or 6 cycles. Cool Down.

Really trying to understand the key characteristics that make something HIIT or not. Thanks for your input as well as some of the other good insights posted here.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

So then barbell complexes, 5 exercises, 6 reps, probably a couple of minutes, followed by about a 2 minute recovery, would you consider these HIIT? They are very high intensity (done right) but a little longer duration.
    Sounds like you would consider my sprints HIIT? Warm up, 120 yard sprint (never timed it but I'm guessing 20 seconds or so), walk back, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, go again. 5 or 6 cycles. Cool Down.

Really trying to understand the key characteristics that make something HIIT or not. Thanks for your input as well as some of the other good insights posted here.

Barbell complexes fall into the category of Classic HIT not HIIT.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@mmapags
    No I wouldn't call your weights routine HIIT.
    Yes I would call all out sprints and recovery HIIT.

HIIT is just one protocol of training. Whether something is HIIT or not doesn't make it good or bad or even appropriate for an individual.
    True HIIT really isn't appropriate for everyone - which is a separate issue, it's dreadfully over-hyped and suggested to people who would be better advised to build their base fitness first.

Personally I never do HIIT but I do a lot of interval training and also do maximal effort training over very varied durations appropriate to my (high) fitness levels and goals.
  • stanmann571
    edited June 2017
    Options

HIIT is just one protocol of training. Whether something is HIIT or not doesn't make it good or bad or even appropriate for an individual.
    True HIIT really isn't appropriate for everyone - which is a separate issue, it's dreadfully over-hyped and suggested to people who would be better advised to build their base fitness first.

THIS!!

It's great however, for those that it is appropriate for.

ie, those who need to get a measurable boost in their V02 Max in a very short 4-6 week period.
  • mmapags
    Options

Ok. Not sure what that means. High Intensity Training? I didn't mention above its 5 sets. Not that changes the definition of what it is.
  • mmapags
    Options

@mmapags
    No I wouldn't call your weights routine HIIT.
    Yes I would call all out sprints and recovery HIIT.

Personally I never do HIIT but I do a lot of interval training and also do maximal effort training over very varied durations appropriate to my (high) fitness levels and goals.

OK, great! Thanks for providing more definition. I get the VO2 max reasons for doing HIIT. One of the other key reasons people (me :) ) like it is for it's EPOC. If we would call the barbell complexes interval training (you didn't, I'm just guessing here), is there a similar EPOC effect? I think this is one of the key reasons those that aren't training specifically for aerobic improvement gravitate towards HIIT. They are time efficient and create a great afterburn for 24 hours or so.

Just want to say I really appreciate those that are chiming in and helping to bring clarity. Many of us will benefit from this understanding.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Ok. Not sure what that means. High Intensity Training? I didn't mention above its 5 sets. Not that changes the definition of what it is.

High intensity Training, yes.

It's an entirely different thing from HIIT.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Really trying to understand the key characteristics that make something HIIT or not.

I don't think there is any real debate about the interval training side of HIIT, but clearly there is a diversity of view on what the High Intensity aspect means. That's where we get to understanding the physiological value of the activity.

In the realms of high anaerobic range effort there are improvements in maximal oxygen uptake. That physiological improvement is not enduring, hence using it as a periodised activity just prior to competition.

The term is much misused. There is nothing wrong with aerobic interval training, but that has an impact on aerobic stamina, rather than VO2MAX.

Just noted your further comment about EPOC, again a reason that marketeers are up against the wall...

The effect of EPOC is negligible. EPOC from true HIIT is about twice that of aerobic generated EPOC, but 5% of a big number still beats 10% of a small number.

Personally if I run 5km I'll get about 20 calories from EPOC. If I do a sprint interval session I'll get about 10 calories from EPOC because during that session the sprint component will cover about 1.6km. the warm up and cool down will give me 20 calories.