picking days for working specific areas

Options
marinagraber
marinagraber Posts: 49 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you determine which days and how long to focus on certain areas of the body? (Leg day, etc) I want to add this into my regular exercise but am unsure how. And remember I am at 280 pounds so my major focus does need to be on cardio. So far I have been using 3 pound weights with a 30 minute walking video. Leaving my house to join a gym is not an option. And I am not looking to add a bunch of muscle so I don't want to necessary use heavier weights just to focus on certain areas a little more.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Forget the body part splits for now. Focus on a full body strength program 3x a week. Compound lifts like squats, deadlift(or other hinge movement), press, overhead press, row, vertical pull, lunge.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you are best to get on a structured lifting plan and follow that...there are other threads here that have a bunch of recommended programs...plus if you are serious about starting to lift you will probably want to look into getting weights heavier than 3 lbs (or join a gym where you'll have access to them)..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I don't want to necessary use heavier weights just to focus on certain areas a little more.

If you're hoping to shrink those areas with the weights, unfortunately they won't. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth".

For a simple strength program you can do at home, there's the Nerd Fitness beginner's program, which is done every 2-3 days. You can skip the jumping jacks part of it. :+1:

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I picked how I workout based on gym schedule and pool schedule. Gym is available Mon-Thurs, pool is tues-friday. So, I do full body lifting mon/wed and swim laps tues-thurs or Fri. I find full body compound lifting to work best, added accessories if you want.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How do you determine which days and how long to focus on certain areas of the body? (Leg day, etc) I want to add this into my regular exercise but am unsure how. And remember I am at 280 pounds so my major focus does need to be on cardio. So far I have been using 3 pound weights with a 30 minute walking video. Leaving my house to join a gym is not an option. And I am not looking to add a bunch of muscle so I don't want to necessary use heavier weights just to focus on certain areas a little more.

IMO, you'd be better off doing a 2-3x per week full body program rather than a body part split. Also, doing isolation work with 3 Lb weights isn't going to do much at all...and you aren't/can't going to spot reduce certain areas by doing isolation workouts.

If you can't go to the gym, you'd be better served by doing a body weight program and doing full body.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you want to do body part splits?
    I'm in the full body 3x week camp. I do weights Mon/Wed/Friday.
    Find a good beginner strength program and follow it. I started in my home as well and then when I maxed out my dumbbells (as I have neither the room nor the money for a home gym) I started going to the gym.

I'm not sure why leaving your house to join a gym is not an option BUT if it's just out of fear or discomfort know that working out in your home for a month or so first will help you feel more secure in a gym because you will have a more firm grasp on your routine and form. That way you don't walk in there, look around and go, "Well crap, now what do I do?" Which a lot of people are afraid of.
  • marinagraber
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you want to do body part splits?
    I'm in the full body 3x week camp. I do weights Mon/Wed/Friday.
    Find a good beginner strength program and follow it. I started in my home as well and then when I maxed out my dumbbells (as I have neither the room nor the money for a home gym) I started going to the gym.

I'm not sure why leaving your house to join a gym is not an option BUT if it's just out of fear or discomfort know that working out in your home for a month or so first will help you feel more secure in a gym because you will have a more firm grasp on your routine and form. That way you don't walk in there, look around and go, "Well crap, now what do I do?" Which a lot of people are afraid of.

I am not able to go to a gym because there isn't one within 30 miles of me. I was a member for a while when we did have one but I can say there were times that I was intimidated.
  • marinagraber
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I have a total care 15 year old daughter and I want to build more strength to be able to continue carrying her as she grows but I can not do any workout/weights that will make me sore and unable to carry her.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here are 2 good full body workouts that you can do at home.

Start slow and easy, don't worry if you can't do the whole work out, do what you can. Maybe start with completing one set, then as you improve you can work up to 3.
    Adapt so you can build the moves up to the way they are shown.

Here is the body weight one mentioned up thread. I agree just march in place or do step ups instead of jumping jacks, keep the arms moving though.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Here is one that will go well with your dumbbells. Again, change high impact moves to low. (HasFit has a good selection of routines that you could do at home)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

I did both these programmes and really benifited from them.

Cheers, h.

Edit to add links (on my phone)