Eating in the heat.

Options
Carolyn2017mfp
Carolyn2017mfp Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone else lost their appetite during the hot weather or is it just me.
I'm trying to stay consistent and eat according to my calories and macros but for the past 2 days I've not hit them. Should I make myself eat or go with the flow ....

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We're having a heat wave at the moment...yes, heat will typically blunt my appetite but I'm indoors most of the day, so there really hasn't been any impact.

ETA: I do typically just eat lighter and cooler in the summer...lots of grilled fish, salads, fruit, cold pasta dishes, etc, etc...I save things like casseroles, stews, etc for the winter. Maybe just look at what you're eating and whether it fits with the season.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm trying to get my calories in, but even my smoothie suddenly takes 2 hours to drink because I figured I should probably force some food in.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I try for cool things fruit, salads sandwiches light stuff
  • Carolyn2017mfp
    Carolyn2017mfp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here. I'm in England so it's a heatwave here.
    I couldn't eat my dinner last night so I just made a banana milkshake. I can manage breakfast lunch and snacks but my evening meal I don't feel hungry.
  • HeyShaunie
    HeyShaunie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely haven't had an appetite since this heat wave hit in AZ, but I'm tolerating salads and cold fruits and veggies!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Yesterday the temperature in my area reached 120F (about 44C?), and today is over 95F at 9:30AM so we may get to 122F. It is more than a heat wave, it is a heat tsunami...

Food is not something that I have been craving either (neither is cooking), and since I am in maintenance as long as I get 1200 cals of nutritious food, I am happy. I can always catch up later.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When it's too hot for me to want to cook or eat, I usually eat a bunch of gazpacho.

It's the perfect summer food (for me, anyway).
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm still sticking to my calorie allowance, it's just that a much higher proportion of my calories now comes from ice cream.

For any UK readers - my best food discovery of the year is Oppo ice cream. Delicious, but less than half of the calories of regular ice cream. Pricey (though often on special offer) but worth it. Salted caramel is my favourite flavour, closely followed by chocolate & hazelnut. It's available in Waitrose and I think a few other stores.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When it's too hot for me to want to cook or eat, I usually eat a bunch of gazpacho.

Ah, yes...cold soups. I do a nice cucumber one as well.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Ah, yes...cold soups. I do a nice cucumber one as well.

Oh yes, or a good Korean cold noodle soup.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook more in the winter.... & assemble meals in the summer.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    A few of my coworkers were discussing this the other day. I live in Vegas and today will hit 114. Do I not want to eat? No but I do find myself eating lots of cucumbers and salads during the day. When I get home, all bets are off. I eat, well
  • mjlfit83
    mjlfit83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drop things like strawberries and shredded coconut, mixed berries, lemon pieces amd mint, etc., in to ice cube trays, top up with water then drop them in a glass of water when I am thristy, if not simply take one out a crunch in to them.
    Water intake and fruit all in one!
    Living in Australia we get heatwaves of +45C. Forget the snakes and spiders, even the ambient air wants to kill you! :D
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Down here in Alabama, we eat mater sandwiches in the summer. :smile: But yeah, my appetite is thrown off by the heat and mugginess. Especially on run days. I do *not* get rungry in the summer!
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We eat cheese and crackers with salami and fruits in the summer when it's too hot to eat anything else. It seems to do the trick and then maybe a freeze pop or ice cream after
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I second gazpacho!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Eat something cool and refreshing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The heat just makes me want burgers and beer. :disappointed:
  • Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    Same. It's hot af where I'm at, and I'm consistently way under goal. The only thing I want to eat lately is fruit.
  • JosephPulaski
    JosephPulaski Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry all the time. Rain or shine. Heat or ice.