Advice

Options
I'm currently 12stone ( 5ft 11 female)- I want to shed a little weight and get some muscle! What calorie intake should I be? Currently working out with a couple of runs a week ( 2x 3 -4 miles) and some weights.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What did this site tell you when you entered your stats?
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Follow the calorie intake the site gives you. Decide if you want to bulk, cut, or re-comp first. From your description, it sounds like you want to do a re-comp which will be eating very close to maintenance. Eat 1 g/bw of protein, 0.3-0.5 g/bw of fat and fill in the rest with carbs. You may also want to look into a beginner progressive lifting program if you want to build any muscle. Here is a link for all of the best beginner lifting programs
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    enter your stats into this site and set your goal to lose 1 lb/week and get plenty of protein and follow a structured lifting program.
  • tndorenez20
    tndorenez20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try carb cycling along with the requirements the site gives you. It's where you do high carb on some days and switch to low carbs on another it keeps the body changing and you won't get use to it. It's the best way to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try carb cycling along with the requirements the site gives you. It's where you do high carb on some days and switch to low carbs on another it keeps the body changing and you won't get use to it. It's the best way to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time

That is false. Carb cycling is not more beneficial at fat loss or muscle gain. If anything, you carb cycle for personal preference (especially if you like high carb on lifting days and low carb on rest days). And don't get me wrong, that method works for some people, fat loss and muscle gains come from overall calorie levels and lifting program.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Ignore this OP.