Opinion on stronglifts 5x5 modification

Options

Hi, let me start by saying I have been enjoying stronglifts and use the app 3x a week. I have been using MFP for 210 days now and have lost a wopping 105 lbs. Currently weigh in at 225 lb and still in a defect (1lb a week target) for another15-25lbs.

I have had quite a bit of stalling on strongslifts for the past few weeks. I perform the core workouts with weighted situps, weighted crunches, and skull crushers 1 day and assisted chinups, weighted situps, and curls on the other.

With the summer upon us and for the sake of Variety I have been considering playing around with a slight modification to SL. I was considering Sticking with the program but making it an ABCD. A-streghth, B-stregnth, C-hypertrophy, D-hypertrophy. Keep program exact as written on AB(90% 1rm) and Switch CD to 4x10(70% 1rm).

I only have 3 days a week to lift and want to keep gaining stregnth but want to also do more muscle building. I want to start filling out my asthetic( I have been looking at other programs but have not found 1 that strikes my fancy(welcome to recommend one). I want to continue with core compound lifts, so they have to be in whatever program I perform.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure of the benefits of batardizing SL to add volume which includes hypertrophy sets/reps ranges when you are still planning on losing weight and not eating in a surplus. Kind of backwards training and won't make you stronger or build muscles.

I would consider dropping a set or two so you can continue adding weight to the bar.

Even something along the lines of 6x4 or 8x3 would allow you to gain strength for a short period of time.

Regardless your novice program has ran out at least when you're eating in a deficit. You could even bump up to closer to maintenance and continue your progression as well.

*edit to ask how many deloads have you preformed on SL?

• denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just 1 deloads only on squat, overhead, and bench.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    denato1 wrote: »

I'd suggest deload one more time. Microplate your OHP/bench as well if you haven't already.

From there yout can make adjustments I suggested previously. You should be near the weight goal by the time your stalling again in which you will be slowly upping calories which should also stretch out the program a touch longer before you change programs.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with your question but I just wanted to say congratulations on the amazing progress!! I am doing a slightly different variation of SL two times a week with accessories added and two 2 hour long Body Pump classes at my gym. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I'd suggest deload one more time. Microplate your OHP/bench as well if you haven't already.

From there yout can make adjustments I suggested previously. You should be near the weight goal by the time your stalling again in which you will be slowly upping calories which should also stretch out the program a touch longer before you change programs.

I agree with getting microplates. They can help extend the program for quite a while.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If you use the app it helps because it makes suggestions about deloading?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You probably will continue to stall as long as you are in a calorie deficit. That's ok. At this point you are more interested in keeping the muscle than gaining it. You can expect to stall or even lose weight on the bar while you are in a deficit. Don't worry. Keep lifting. Check out your macros to make sure you'll got them right, too much of one and not enough of the others will impair your recovery. Aim for slightly less than 1g/lb bodyweight protein (0.8 g/lb is good too) 2g/lb of carbs (ish) and the rest fat. Make sure you get at least the minimum fat though. I think it's around 40-50g/day.

I don't mind the change in reps/weight for hypertrophy so long as you are training within 3 reps of failure and keep the exercise structure the same. You could try small plates, but I don't think it will make a difference, it's the calories that you need to gain strength. You might also try not doing the supplementary exercises for a few weeks. Given your deficit you may not be recovering in time for your next workout. The supplementary exercises could be increasing your fatigue.

Once you transition to maintenance or surplus you'll get some strength gains, but I'd say back off on the supplementary exercises.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It seems overly complicated, tbh...

I'm doing StrongLifts right now and losing weight and it just gets to a point where it sucks. I think if you're losing weight it's just going to suck and that's pretty much it. It might as well suck in a simple way and not a complicated way.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm doing StrongLifts right now and losing weight and it just gets to a point where it sucks. I think if you're losing weight it's just going to suck and that's pretty much it. It might as well suck in a simple way and not a complicated way.

This made me laugh. I never thought SLs sucked, though. I loved it. I did it as written for about 6 months, then I added in exercises to help me to a real pull-up (because doing a pull-up was a personal goal). I got micro-plates off Amazon when I stalled out. I ended up doing SLs for 14 months before moving on to an intermediate program.

ETA: Oh, my opinion on OP's modification is YNDTFP.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. I never thought SLs sucked, though. I loved it. I did it as written for about 6 months, then I added in exercises to help me to a real pull-up (because doing a pull-up was a personal goal). I got micro-plates off Amazon when I stalled out. I ended up doing SLs for 14 months before moving on to an intermediate program.

I think his point is that what sucks is the fact that you will inevitably stall on weightlifting during a calorie deficit. Not specifically SL. But at least SL is a simple, straightforward routine.
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2017
    Options

I think his point is that what sucks is the fact that you will inevitably stall on weightlifting during a calorie deficit. Not specifically SL. But at least SL is a simple, straightforward routine.

Actually you will inevitably stall on any program whether deficit or surplus. It's the nature of weight training.

Obviously with a novice program such as SL it will happen sooner than later in a deficit unless smart adjustments are made or find another program :).

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

ditto on fractional plates if you haven't bought any.