Less than a 1000cal diet while working out!!!

Options
Hello All! I'm going on my 2nd week of my fitness and weight plan. Last week, I kept my caloric intake below 1000, but I worked out tremendously! ( Alternating between 90 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of strength training) I lost 4 pounds this week, 190 to 186. I'm 5'9, 28, athletic built, no medical problems, just stopped the depo shot and trying to get my body back in order. Am I not eating enough to lose 26 lbs in 3-4 months? Help!!

Replies

• AKAmplished_Pearl
    AKAmplished_Pearl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    By eating more, won't I gain more?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your total daily calorie intake is. As long as you're below that, you should lose weight. What is your total?
  • AKAmplished_Pearl
    Options
    Right now it's set at 1000 calories, but it automatically set it at 1300.
  • silvervega
    silvervega Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lyntoria3 wrote: »

Well if you are trying to just lose weight it is hard to build muscle while in a calorie deficit, but you can at least eat in a way that you don't lose as much muscles along with the fat.
    It is recommended to reduce you calories 20% from what your total maintenance to lose around 2 lbs a week. There are some calculators online to get your daily need. MFP does it automatically when u chose either to lose 1 or 2 lbs per week. btw I believe there is a rule or advice to not go under 1200 a day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    silvervega wrote: »

Well if you are trying to just lose weight it is hard to build muscle while in a calorie deficit, but you can at least eat in a way that you don't lose as much muscles along with the fat.
    It is recommended to reduce you calories 20% from what your total maintenance to lose around 2 lbs a week. There are some calculators online to get your daily need. MFP does it automatically when u chose either to lose 1 or 2 lbs per week.

This would only work if your total maintenance (I assume you mean TDEE) is around 5000 calories. MFP makes its calculation based on the assumption that a 500-calorie daily deficit will result in a one-pound per week loss. It's not based on a % of maintenance calories.
  • silvervega
    silvervega Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

It is recommended to reduce you calories 20% from what your total maintenance to lose around 2 lbs a week. There are some calculators online to get your daily need. MFP does it automatically when u chose either to lose 1 or 2 lbs per week.

This would only work if your total maintenance (I assume you mean TDEE) is around 5000 calories. MFP makes its calculation based on the assumption that a 500-calorie daily deficit will result in a one-pound per week loss. It's not based on a % of maintenance calories.

Well, it is true that MFP doesnt base on the %, since 1000 calories deficit goes above 20% If you are smaller than X weight; and no, you don't need to be 5k calories maintenance. 20% applies if you want to keep as much muscle as possible while in a deficit. The smaller you are the slower you weight will come off. I should have said that my first part was based on Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book. I rather lose 1 lbs(80-90% fat,10% lean mass) a week than 2 or more lbs with(40-50% Lean mass,60-50fat).
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    People on a very low-calorie diet for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, and diarrhea. Gallstones are the most common serious side effect of very low-calorie diets. People that lose weight quickly tend to regain it. Crash diets never work. If you must do this, take a multivitamin in case you miss nutrients on such little food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Well, it is true that MFP doesnt base on the %, since 1000 calories deficit goes above 20% If you are smaller than X weight; and no, you don't need to be 5k calories maintenance. 20% applies if you want to keep as much muscle as possible while in a deficit. The smaller you are the slower you weight will come off. I should have said that my first part was based on Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book. I rather lose 1 lbs(80-90% fat,10% lean mass) a week than 2 or more lbs with(40-50% Lean mass,60-50fat).

You said
    if you are trying to just lose weight it is hard to build muscle while in a calorie deficit, but you can at least eat in a way that you don't lose as much muscles along with the fat.
    It is recommended to reduce you calories 20% from what your total maintenance to lose around 2 lbs a week.

My point, which you don't seem to have understood, is that a 2 lb a week loss requires a 1000 kcal a day deficit (roughly). 1000 kcal is 20% of 5000 kcal. Hence, to achieve a 2 lb a week loss by eating at maintenance less 20%, your maintenance level would have to 5000 kcal. If your maintenance level is only, say, 3000 kcal, maintenance less 20% is 2400 kcal, which is only a deficit of 600 kcal, and you will only lose a little over a pound a week. For a small, older, and/or inactive person, especially a woman, who might have a maintenance level of 2000 kcal or even less, a 20% cut from maintenance would product a deficit of 400 kcal or less, and thus an average weekly weight loss of less than a pound.
  • AKAmplished_Pearl
    Options
    Working out hard core on those calories wasn't bad at all. I'm determined to drop the fat, add muscle, but look slimmer. The depo shot really messed my body up and I just want it back. I'll up my caloric intake to 1200, but it is hard to eat that much. I haven't had a period in a year(sorry T.M.I) and I'm upset at myself for allowing my weight to get out of control. I'll map out a plan and stick to it.