Too much Vit A and Vit C??

Options
thecat9
thecat9 Posts: 2 Member
Hi all,

I'm new and I've gone over my Vitamin A and C goal by about 700% most days so far. I eat a lot of veg.

Is there such thing as too many vitamins?!

Thanks

Replies

• Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For vitamin C, I know you're absolutely fine. I go over mine by 500% usually. For vitamin A, you CAN actually have too much, and your skin can start to turn orange, but you may want to do further research on it. I know the RDV of vitamin C is the amount necessary to avoid scurvy, so it's good to get plenty more. The RDV of vitamin A may be the amount necessary to avoid whatever a vitamin A deficiency is (is it rickets? Idk). So if that's true, then you can eat more and be fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's not such a thing as too many vitamins from eating a lot of veg.

You could conceivably cause some adversity by eating a lot of veg plus consuming a lot of supplements.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Extra vitamin C does nothing for you as your body can't store it. You pee out the surplus.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Extra vitamin C does nothing for you as your body can't store it. You pee out the surplus.

Also generally true for Vit A, but only when you get it in its carotenoid precursor form from fruits & veg. You can intake dangerous levels of you overdo it as supplements.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    No danger when from food. The danger can happen when you start popping individual pills. A multivitamin will not hurt you since it usually contains the very minimum daily requirements.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not an issue from vegetables. You can OD on Vit A from supplements or (rare) something like polar bear liver (don't eat it, I'm sure that won't be an issue), but you make Vit A from carotenoids in vegetables and won't make more than you need, excess will be disposed of.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Also generally true for Vit A, but only when you get it in its carotenoid precursor form from fruits & veg. You can intake dangerous levels of you overdo it as supplements.

I've also heard of people overdoing it by drinking LOTS of vegetable juice for a long time.