Any Marathoners?

Options
I am a marathoner/ultra-marathoner. Completed my last ultra in February and haven't run since.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Time to get back out there! :)

Check out the long distance runners group.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    26ann wrote: »
    I am a marathoner/ultra-marathoner. Completed my last ultra in February and haven't run since.

How come?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

How come?

Seconded on why? I marathon and I can't imagine just not running for 4-5 months after an event unless there was a massive injury
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Time to become an Ironman then. Only running must get old. Plus, running a marathon after swimming 2.4 miles and cycling 112 miles will build character.
  • MonicaAnn50
    MonicaAnn50 Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

How come?

Seconded on why? I marathon and I can't imagine just not running for 4-5 months after an event unless there was a massive injury

How come?

How come?

How come?
    Fortunately, I suffered no major injuries. Prior to the ultra in February, I had run two simultaneous marathons (one in late Dec. & one in early Jan.). I think I was just tired upon the completion of the one in February. Friends were talking about training for a 100 miler and I couldn't imagine keeping the rigorous training up. So I just checked out for awhile. But, ready to start back.
  • lisaconklin957
    lisaconklin957 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. Strange enough, I also completed an ultra marathon in February and haven't done much since. I also moved across the country a few weeks ago so was super busy selling my house and starting a new job and all that. Great excuses :)

My moving truck actually arrives tomorrow with my food scale, bathroom scale, treadmill and bike. Back on the wagon! We can do it!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm a marathon runner, though I feel like I haven't got one totally right in 4 tries so far. But I'll be back at Rochester in September to prove that the course won't defeat me a second time, and back at Boston next April because I'm so old they pretty much just let me in if I complete a marathon in the qualifying window.

Don't know if I'll ever be up to running an ultra, or how many more marathons I have left in me.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hai! Running is my jam. It's off season here on my little tropical island so I'm in maintenance mode.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel after completing an ultra. Training for something like that running can stop becoming fun. You are always running to a plan, you have to do X and get in Y miles. It can feel like a chore.

Get back out there but just run for the enjoyment of running. Don't pick a distance or a time, just run and when you feel like it turn around and go home.

Try to get out every other day. Find different routes, explore places you haven't been before. Leave the watch at home, don't worry about pace or time etc.

The mojo will come back and you will sign up for something else very soon :)
  • MonicaAnn50
    Options
    Yes, you got it. I appreciate the encouragement!
    I have since gotten out there and have run for 30 minutes. It's a start. :)

FatMoojor wrote: »
    I know how you feel after completing an ultra. Training for something like that running can stop becoming fun. You are always running to a plan, you have to do X and get in Y miles. It can feel like a chore.

Get back out there but just run for the enjoyment of running. Don't pick a distance or a time, just run and when you feel like it turn around and go home.

Try to get out every other day. Find different routes, explore places you haven't been before. Leave the watch at home, don't worry about pace or time etc.

The mojo will come back and you will sign up for something else very soon
  • MonicaAnn50
    Options
    I'm with ya. Strange enough, I also completed an ultra marathon in February and haven't done much since. I also moved across the country a few weeks ago so was super busy selling my house and starting a new job and all that. Great excuses :)

My moving truck actually arrives tomorrow with my food scale, bathroom scale, treadmill and bike. Back on the wagon! We can do it!

I have since put back on my running shoes. How about you?
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually run a marathon before (18-20 miles is my max mileage in a day), but I'm an endurance athlete and run pretty consistently daily, and log decent mileage. As others have said, I can't imagine taking off 4-5 months from running. It's the jelly to my PB.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have run 3 marathons. My next will be Boston next April. Like MobyCarp - I'm old so I don't have to be that fast. In my head, I would like to do ultras, but the reality is I struggle with long runs so I doubt I'll get beyond 26.2. The trails around here are also pretty technical, so I don't do much running on them. Steep rocks are hard enough to hike, doing them at speed in the dark - no thanks.

I do understand getting burnt out doing 3 big races in 3 months. That's a lot of time to be focused on one thing and the amount of time marathon and ultra training takes is no joke. I hope you can find the enjoyment again. Do you have any groups near you that do social runs? Or friends who aren't training for a big event who just like to run?