How do i do this???

Options
Hi everyone. I am wondering if I can get some advice please.

I would like to do some exercise to along with my healthy eating to assist with losing body fat and building some muscle. Would it be more beneficial to follow a strength training program with dumbbells or start something like the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred instead.

The dumbbell routine would have me completing a full body routine 3x per week beginning with 5kg dumbbells and progressing weights as I get stronger. Upper and lower body squats, rows, overhead presses etc.

The 30 Day Shred involves more cardio to burn body fat and includes weights but is it really a muscle building routine?? I cant see myself being able to use such heavy weights with some of the moves.

Or could I combine the two and do my dumbbells 3x per week and the 30 Day Shred 2x days per week?? Or would this be overkill?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would do the dumbbell full body routine. However, I will warn you that your 5 kg dumbbell weight should be surpassed on most lifts within a very short period of time if you are actually following a progressive program. I'm talking within a couple of workouts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you are just getting into exercise, start with the dumbbells 3x week for a month. Then gradually add in 30DS as you are up to it.
  • katielily84
    katielily84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do the one you enjoy and when you get bored mix it up.

The most important thing in the beginning is just to get moving and get into the habit. If you are starting from a low base then any new movement is going to be good for you. In my experience, for girls it's always worth getting some cardio in (and you feel awesome after...If not during). My other half however can laze around for days, pop down the gym and come back looking like a tire thats been inflated, and being able to eat a million calories without putting anything on. So I'd say commit to 3 times a week but pick your battle based on how you feel.
    And don't worry to much about not keeping up in the beginning. Doing a few reps with the right for is more important than thrashing your way through the whole thing.

Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 day shred and then learned some powerlifting. You can progress with 30 day shred by increasing the weight of your dumbbells over time. A full body lifting routine will increase your strength faster and keep you from losing too much muscle. I lost muscle (especially in my booty and legs) even doing workouts like 30 day shred. I had to lift heavy and progressively to build it back up.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I started with dumbbell 3xs a week and light cardio and started losing fat within 3 weeks. It's been over a year now and I have maintained doing this routine regularly.