Calories burned

Options
How many calories should I aim to burn in a workout? Is there a certain number or goal? Or do you just exercise until your tired & cant go anymore. I have just recently started walking on the treadmil. I walk at 3.0 speed for 30 minutes & burn about 220 calories according to the treadmil (I know they aren't fully accurate). That's all I do is 30 minutes of cardio. Should I be doing more?? I'm male, 5'8'' , 279.2lbs

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    That's a good start.

You can slowly start building up time, speed, incline and progress as you feel you can.

If you feel like you could do more, you can always do a few strength training exercises as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week is the least amount necessary that is known to produce a measurable benefit in cardiovascular fitness. If you want to do 30 minutes of cardio several days a week, that's good. Is there a "too much"? Not really. I usually do 60 minutes but only 2-3 days each week, but on weekends I can log several hours of various activities. Everyone is different and everyone goes through different personal practices with it. Just move it.
  • theron12
    theron12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals are. My goal for the year is to burn 300,000 calories on the bicycle, so I aim for 1,000 calories per day. But if you were training for a race you might be putting in more effort.