richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    You look.around 10-12% in your profile pic
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Besides spending all that money on DEXA. The best way is just how you've described, your own investigation, with multiple methods. If some online calculators (involving tape measurements I'm assuming) have put you in a range, and you've had a look at some photos of others at the same height weight, and a good look in the mirror. Then your guess is going to be pretty accurate.

Looking around on the internet at other photos of 12% and the measurement I've been taking I would probably say between 11-13%

12% is between 11% and 13% ... just saying.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    joeybrid wrote: »
    Post a pic in this thread and I can tell you pretty close to what percent you are. keep in mind ~4% bf is stored inside your body around your organs.

use my profile pic
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Post a pic in this thread and I can tell you pretty close to what percent you are. keep in mind ~4% bf is stored inside your body around your organs.

use my profile pic

Probably 11% +- You have definition but now you just need to add mass to make it "pop" more.
  • dalerst
    Options

use my profile pic

Probably 11% +- You have definition but now you just need to add mass to make it "pop" more.

That's the stage I'm at now. Just in to my third week of bulking hoping to gain 10lb by December then do a cut in the new year.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

use my profile pic

That's the stage I'm at now. Just in to my third week of bulking hoping to gain 10lb by December then do a cut in the new year.

I highly highly recommend you go by the mirror/pictures and not set an arbitrary goal. Especially when in a gaining phase!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm guessing you're 11.2758%

Seriously, for those who think they can look at a picture and get the %BF anywhere near true value, what are you basing that on?

This?

acu41txvikq4.jpg

Do you think that someone ran a DEXA or immersion test on each person in that image and then got their permission to create the graphic? Or, is it more likely that someone just pulled a bunch of pics off Google images and guessed the %BF of each person?

Then, in discussion forums all over the internet (yes, bodybuilding.com I'm looking at you) people load up pictures, in various states of lighting, clothing, posing, tanning, hydration, bloating, and flexing and we all squint a bit and compare their pics to this graphic (or similar) and proclaim the result to the nearest whole percent.

This behavior is basically making a guesstimate, in non-ideal and non-controlled conditions, by comparing against a guesstimate, in non-ideal and non-controlled conditions and it gets worse with every echo-chamber, BS spinning iteration.

OP - if you need this information, don't mess about - go get tested by the best way you can afford. If it's just "out of interest" who cares? Is the %BF number your primary goal - If not, measure your primary goal (strength, aesthetics, waistline, whatever).
  • dalerst
    Options
    I'm guessing you're 11.2758%

Seriously, for those who think they can look at a picture and get the %BF anywhere near true value, what are you basing that on?

This?

acu41txvikq4.jpg

Do you think that someone ran a DEXA or immersion test on each person in that image and then got their permission to create the graphic? Or, is it more likely that someone just pulled a bunch of pics off Google images and guessed the %BF of each person?

Then, in discussion forums all over the internet (yes, bodybuilding.com I'm looking at you) people load up pictures, in various states of lighting, clothing, posing, tanning, hydration, bloating, and flexing and we all squint a bit and compare their pics to this graphic (or similar) and proclaim the result to the nearest whole percent.

This behavior is basically making a guesstimate, in non-ideal and non-controlled conditions, by comparing against a guesstimate, in non-ideal and non-controlled conditions and it gets worse with every echo-chamber, BS spinning iteration.

OP - if you need this information, don't mess about - go get tested by the best way you can afford. If it's just "out of interest" who cares? Is the %BF number your primary goal - If not, measure your primary goal (strength, aesthetics, waistline, whatever).

Body fat is not my final goal, strength and a decent look. My only reason for asking is because not say to start bulking when you get to 10% ish. I have no ambition to pay money to have it measured.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    But, the "get to 10% BF" is based as much on eyeballed guesstimate as everything else - I assume that that figure came from bodybuilding.com or T-nation.com or some other such forum and has the same issues as my comments above.

My take on the whole how lean before bulk concept is you need to be able to stand your "look" when at the peak of the bulk, so if an individual is only just happy with fat levels at the start they are going to feel like a whale by the end. So, it makes sense to start the bulk at a pretty low %BF.

There is an argument that nutrient partitioning also means that lean individuals will preferentially gain muscle on a bulk- but I suspect that there is much more complexity/subtlety to that concept that a simple low BF = more muscle (otherwise fitness competitors returning to cal surplus after a show would see their best gains immediately, but that does not seem to be the observation, in fact quite the opposite - most seem to be primed for fat rather than muscle gain.
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I want to figure out how to post a picture because I'd like to hear an honest idea of what people think my Bf%would be.

Edit, I changed my profile picture, only way I could think to do it. My guess is 15 or 16 percent, but I'm not great at guessing.
  • Hunterjackrogers
    Hunterjackrogers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself