(Silly?) Hypothetical question about muscle mass and stagnation

Options
Hi,

So I'm wondering - let's say you go from couch to lifting 50 lbs doing X exercise everyday.
Let's say you gain Y amount of muscle from doing this.

If you never add weight, and continue doing the exact same exercise you did to get you to Y, will your muscle remain the same? Or will it deteriorate or get bigger, and why?

Thanks!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No one will be able to answer this.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Why? I would have thought that the answer was that you would (by and large) stay the same?
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Not with that attitude they won't! :)
    But seriously, why do you say that?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would at a point, the muscle would not respond to the stimuli of the weight any more, so no further gain would be met. However, if you were to change the stimuli (more weight) then you would progress again
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Is that a falcon or a hawk?
  • feathernaut
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Is that a falcon or a hawk?

A hawk, I think.

I would at a point, the muscle would not respond to the stimuli of the weight any more, so no further gain would be met. However, if you were to change the stimuli (more weight) then you would progress again

That would have been my guess as well. Thanks.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Let's say you grow to be an adult, and walk around a certain amount and your muscles grow to a certain point, and you continue walking around doing the same thing.... then your muscles stay the same. Because the stimulus (weight, volume, frequency) is the same, the response (muscle size, ability to recover, endurance) will be the same.

Change weight, volume, frequency (input) or sleep, caloric intake (recovery & response) and muscle size will change.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question! I always thought if you didn't change your workout you'd stall and plateau, but now I wonder if your muscles will start to shrink.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My wife is a coach, she says the muscles will stay the same, possibly you'll would see a slight loss of muscle because they will adapt to the work.
  • feathernaut
    Options
    Thanks CJ! I appreciate you asking her!