Olive Oil Replacement

Options
2»

Replies

• elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i like cooking potatoes in the microwave until they're soft and then crisping them in a non stick pan with a little bit of spray oil (or just less oil in general).
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nothing replaces a really good extra Virgin olive oil. Plus you need that healthy fat to get all the nutrients out of your vegetables.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to sacrifice the taste just use less olive oil as people have said. i find that if i put all the veg / protein in a small ziplock bag and add a bit of olive oil and shake / massage / mix it up really well that i can get everything coated pretty well with not a lot of oil.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a 'Misto' bottle that I fill myself and pump and spray olive oil. It's a way to evenly distribute little oil without propellants. Just be sure to decompress the pressure after use so as to not clog the inside of the sprayer.

I have had two Mistos and I loved them but they both stopped working. I keep saying I am going to buy another one but I just can't make myself do it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I currently am using 1 tbsp for cooking certain things and I hate that it's 120 calories. 1/2 goes to potatoes and 1/2 goes to asparagus. I cut up red potatoes in cubes, put some olive oil on, seasoning and wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill. Same for the asparagus. (Aluminum packet cooking is my favorite thing ever!) My entire meal is still 430 calories which is still really good for where I need to be at (1.5 red potatoes, 4 oz boneless and skinless tilapia, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 4 ounces asparagus). But I'm just curious if anyone has found any good Olive Oil replacements that are lower in calories or just overall healthier?

Thanks!

Moisture for aluminum packet cooking.....ice cubes. I still use a little oil and seasoning for flavor, then I top it with an ice cube or 2 and wrap up.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    For those suggesting olive oil spray - just remember it is still oil and still has calories. So if you end up spraying as much oil on as you would have poured out of the bottle, it's still gonna be 120 calories.

I second the "put it in a ziploc bag with less oil and shake to combine" method, really helps coat everything while using less!
  • bray149
    bray149 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Another thumbs up to prepping in a Ziploc bag. Your oil goes a lot further. You can use a third of the amount and get plenty of coverage. So that gets you down to 40 calories for the oil.
  • bkj261
    bkj261 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil spray. You use FAR less oil that way.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hello!

I currently am using 1 tbsp for cooking certain things and I hate that it's 120 calories. 1/2 goes to potatoes and 1/2 goes to asparagus. I cut up red potatoes in cubes, put some olive oil on, seasoning and wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill. Same for the asparagus. (Aluminum packet cooking is my favorite thing ever!) My entire meal is still 430 calories which is still really good for where I need to be at (1.5 red potatoes, 4 oz boneless and skinless tilapia, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 4 ounces asparagus). But I'm just curious if anyone has found any good Olive Oil replacements that are lower in calories or just overall healthier?

Thanks!

Moisture for aluminum packet cooking.....ice cubes. I still use a little oil and seasoning for flavor, then I top it with an ice cube or 2 and wrap up.

I don't know why but this made me laugh. Why is an ice cube better than a splash of water? Is this like that belief that hot water in the ice cube tray freezes faster?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Well, hello there, fellow traveler in this world of calorie control.
    I currently am using 1 tbsp for cooking certain things and I hate that it's 120 calories. [...] But I'm just curious if anyone has found any good Olive Oil replacements that are lower in calories or just overall healthier?
    It is hard to find anything as nutritious as olive oil. You should shoot to get 30-50% of your calories from high quality fats (olive oil, butter, nuts, cheese, ...). You will stay satisfied for longer and it's just plain good for you.

Butter has fewer calories than olive oil per tbs (and, boy, it tastes good). People think olive oil is better for you, however.
    My entire meal is still 430 calories which is still really good for where I need to be at (1.5 red potatoes, 4 oz boneless and skinless tilapia, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 4 ounces asparagus).
    Sounds great. What's the problem? You can mix it up by sauteing, baking, or steaming (in a bamboo steamer). Use other meats, etc. You could put the protein on a bed of greens, replacing the potatoes with feta cheese and using the olive oil in a vinaigrette. You can reduce the carbs, just don't leave out the fat!

I note that white potato is that is hard to eat plain. For this reason, I eat sweet potato more often.

Bon appetit!
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What about coconut oil i love baking with it
  • JoyNoelleG
    JoyNoelleG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been measuring everything out and I use olive oil. You would be surprised how much a teaspoon is and how far it goes, I was. Sometimes I am tempted to just drizzle and coat the pan but you really don't need to.