Can you gain weight/build muscle training at home like you would at home?

Options
May seem like a silly question but Has people had success training at home? Currently a gym membership is a luxury that we can't afford. During a attic clear out I've come accross some weight plates, weight bar and tricep bar. Am now planning a work routine with the equipment that I now have, I know some of the exercises i might be limited with but would it still be possible to see results training at home?

Replies

• miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're good to go with a bar and plates. Work on compound movements and you'll see your physique change.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You can definitely train at home with good results. Pick a program and follow it. If you are new to lifting, take videos of yourself so that you can check your form and/or get feedback from others on your form.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes.

For Squats you'll need a rack or mount of some sort or you'll be limited in weight
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You can build lean mass at home, with or without weights. There are a lot of beginner strength and hypertrophy training programs. Progressive overload to produce a stimulus for growth and a sufficient eating plan are the basic foundations of getting gains.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it at home. The building the equipment is housed in does not have magical properties. It's what you do and how you do it, not the where.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I only do strength training at home and it is solely bodyweight exercise because I simply don't have room for equipment. Gains are slower probably, but I have definitely made them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Build your own squat rack/cage out of wood, and likely buy more weights as the need arises - you can do everything but lat pull-downs. But pullups can take care of that, albeit perhaps more weight than desired.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I use dumbbells, an exercise ball, and body weight exercises (e.g., push-ups, plank), and I jog a few times a week in my neighborhood. I download weightlifting videos when I want to change up my routine. I only visit a gym on the rare occasions when I'm staying in a hotel.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Build your own squat rack/cage out of wood, and likely buy more weights as the need arises - you can do everything but lat pull-downs. But pullups can take care of that, albeit perhaps more weight than desired.

I did a DIY Power-rack/Squat cage that turned into a pullup/monkey bars contraption... Unfortunately I didn't properly level/square it, so it didn't last but a couple years
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I've put on muscle, slowly but surely, with solely bodyweight. Started with some free weights last week, but I would suppose equipment is key for bulk.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I've never done anything but classes and swimming at a gym. I have a spare bedroom with a full rack, barbell set, and bench. I did 6 months of Stronglifts and now I'm doing Strong Curves. I've had to make some adaptations and buy a few extra pieces of equipment for SC, but I don't need a gym to build muscle. I've been gym membership free for a year.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've only ever trained at home with dumbbells that use plates like this

startset.jpg

and resistance bands. I have definitely made strength gains. It takes proper form, real effort, consistency, and a good program.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with turning your basement into a mini gym. That's actually my dream.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've done that! I don't lift heavy, but I'm doing dumbbells, stability ball, tubes and bands, got a cardio step...

Eventually, perhaps. For now, I'm using a book and noticing some strength gains.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I did a DIY Power-rack/Squat cage that turned into a pullup/monkey bars contraption... Unfortunately I didn't properly level/square it, so it didn't last but a couple years

And the first pullup when you build it too tall and close to ceiling.

Which I didn't at least, after seeing video of others not so careful.
  • stanmann571
    Options

And the first pullup when you build it too tall and close to ceiling.

Which I didn't at least, after seeing video of others not so careful.

Oh, I built it outside. It lasted almost 4 years...
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of equipment on CL or offer up real cheep. Some Planet Fitness gyms are $10 bucks a month. There is no reason we can't workout anyplace and as long as we are using resistance training muscle will be built.
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My old training partner placed fifth in his class at the Nabba Mr Universe back in the 70's,only ever trained at home in a garden shed.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can totally get results at home. The two bests exercises for you will be chinups and deadlifts.