Competition!

Options
I've been doing a quick/clean bulk for a few months. I am 19 days out from my cut (prep), and 12 weeks out from there. I am super excited! I've managed to put on 10 LBs of muscle over the past few months... killing myself in the gym daily. I'm fatigued and it's only going to get more challenging from here but it'll be worth it when I step on that stage!!!! :smiley:

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a quick/clean bulk for a few months. I am 19 days out from my cut (prep), and 12 weeks out from there. I am super excited! I've managed to put on 10 LBs of muscle over the past few months... killing myself in the gym daily. I'm fatigued and it's only going to get more challenging from here but it'll be worth it when I step on that stage!!!! :smiley:

10 lbs of muscle in a few months?? Or you gained 10 lbs during your bulk..?
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I was going to ask the same thing. 10 pounds in a few months seems nearly impossible naturally.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I was going to ask the same thing. 10 pounds [of muscle mass] in a few months seems nearly impossible naturally.

Ditto.

I also want to know how the OP measured it.

The only 2 methods that can reliably distinguish between LBM (lean body mass) and fat are DXA scans and hydrostatic testing.

However, it's impossible for any commercially available method to distinguish between LBM (lean body mass) and muscle.

Muscle is a part of LBM and so is bone and other non-fatty tissue including the water in it. How much LBM is comprised of actual muscle is anyone' s guess.

Only DXA can seperately measure bone mass and density (that's what it was designed to do) but it cannot differentiate between muscle and other non-fatty (lean) tissue either.

So, when someone says they gained X pounds of muscle, they cannot possibly know that because all that can be meadured is LBM vs body fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you're fatigued from a "bulk", you're doing it wrong imo. You should have been eating in a surplus and giving yourself plenty of opportunity to rest in between training hard.

Good luck for prep if you're already feeling fatigued.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    - Fatigued from a bulk
    - 10lbs of muscle in a few months
    - Gym daily
    - Starting a prep when fatigued

There is so much wrong here.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Would love to see some progress pics if you don't mind posting them :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    good luck! hope your fatigue goes away. Keep your eye on the price
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Good luck! Would love to see some progress pics if you don't mind posting them :)

Thank you! :smile:

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    blakejohn wrote: »
    good luck! hope your fatigue goes away. Keep your eye on the price

Thank you! :smile:
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud... Okay let me be super-specific.

10 LBs overall, excuse me for using the word "muscle" here. Measurements based upon hand-held, calipers, overall appearance (progress photos every day for 3 months), the way my clothing feels on me, the progression in my weight lifting. Ya.. I know it's not 100% accurate, so sorry for the miscommunication. By "fatigued" I mean overall fatigued about the anticipation. Physically I feel better than ever, mentally I'm fatigued, so much to do... I've got all appointments booked but my show is still 14 weeks out. I can't wait for it to get here :smile: I have been eating in surplus for 3-5 months and lifting daily and very little cardio. I was a running and a dancer and that all came to a screeching halt to maintain the muscle I had and build a little more. I am going for bikini for my first show so I don't have to get massive or extremely cut. After this show I am going to take a good solid year to bulk and prep for figure. I have an excellent coach and am super happy with my progress over the past few months.

Alright then, that makes more sense. Good luck and have fun!!
    Let us know how it turns out.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    For crying out loud... Okay let me be super-specific.

10 LBs overall, excuse me for using the word "muscle" here. Measurements based upon hand-held, calipers, overall appearance (progress photos every day for 3 months), the way my clothing feels on me, the progression in my weight lifting. Ya.. I know it's not 100% accurate, so sorry for the miscommunication. By "fatigued" I mean overall fatigued about the anticipation. Physically I feel better than ever, mentally I'm fatigued, so much to do... I've got all appointments booked but my show is still 14 weeks out. I can't wait for it to get here :smile: I have been eating in surplus for 3-5 months and lifting daily and very little cardio. I was a running and a dancer and that all came to a screeching halt to maintain the muscle I had and build a little more. I am going for bikini for my first show so I don't have to get massive or extremely cut. After this show I am going to take a good solid year to bulk and prep for figure. I have an excellent coach and am super happy with my progress over the past few months.

Alright then, that makes more sense. Good luck and have fun!!
    Let us know how it turns out.

Yes.. thank you!
    I'm so excited!