How do y'll keep the exercise FUN?

Options
Hey everybody, I hope y'll are doing fantastic.

I am struggling with creating a exercise plan, I have always hated exercise and I still do, 1 min of exercise seems to take just as long as 8 hours of work. Okay maybe that's a little overdone hahaha but I just don't enjoy it.

Now I could lower my calorie levels what I don't have any problems with, but exercising is not just to lose the weight it is also to be more healthy right? So I really need to get into it. I do some jogging in place and I have an exercise ball and resistance bands. I also have some walking dvd's.

The jogging in place is just to get some quick steps but not sure if it is really effective and if I can count it as exercise. I wish I had some friends who would do exercise so we could go together but my friends are not into exercise either and they don't even want to consider it haha

How do y'll keep the exercise FUN? :D

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not everything in life is fun - sometimes you just have to do it. Get a variety of workout dvd's and find something a little more interesting than jogging in place - that will drive me nuts. Rather go jog in the park or do something else.
    And stop trying to find friends to do this - it is your body and your health - you need to do it yourself.....

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Pokemon Go has been a great motivator for me over the last year. I also love to get out on my bike when the weather allows it.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm not always that enthusiastic about exercising (particularly when it means running at 5am) but I reassure myself that (a) it's good for me and (b) I'll feel better afterwards. It's always true no matter how tired and grumpy I was to start with.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Try different exercises until you find something that you enjoy. It won't always be fun, but if you find something you enjoy it will be easier than doing something you hate.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Fast-paced music helps me! I like to sing along and get really into it while I'm doing cardio. It makes the time go by waaayyy faster and helps me look forward to working out. My exercise time has become "me time" and is a lot more fun than when I was trying to do it without entertainment. Another option is to watch your favorite TV show while jogging or walking. Of course, this is easier if you have a treadmill.

Maybe you should look into a form of exercise that you find to be fun instead of making yourself do exercises that you dread? Swimming, dancing, biking, hiking, etc?

Cheers to you for finding ways to get your routine going. Making it fun is a great way to ensure that you'll keep doing it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Mix it up...

Get outside.

Pokémon Go is fun too.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy doing. If you don't know what you like to do, try joining a gym for a trial basis (no commitments). Check out classes, machines, you name it. I try to mix it up - I run (inside and outside), use an elliptical, bike, and use weights. If you like music - play music. If you like TV - watch something while you're working out. Make it fun!
  • HunnyBunnyKagome
    HunnyBunnyKagome Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dance routines are a part of my work, but they're also a hobby of mine with great cardio benefits. I've learned that activities with friends are always better than alone. I try to have exercise buddies when I can. It really helps out especially when I do weight training. Music and television are other motivators when I have to do it alone.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing/mixed martial arts is loads of fun for me, and useful too. Check YouTube for some sample workouts.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love fitness classes. I take 4 a week in addition to my cardio/weight lifting schedule. Why not find a couple classes you like?!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Find a cheap gym that offers group classes. My gym is $15 a month. I do Zumba (great music) and BodyPump (instructor-lead barbell and free weight workout). I have to concentrate, so the time goes by faster than if I was working out at home in my boring living room. Check out the Couch to 5K program. It's free! You can print out the schedule from the computer, and install the app on your phone. I found it fun to see how I could advance from jogging 2 minutes at the beginning to 8 minutes to 20 minutes. These are good cardio goals, and you can definitely log the exercise. Find a running store and see if they have a running program. My local place has an 8 week program for women. You might meet some running buddies and improve your fitness all at once!
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My favourite is riding my horse where I get most of my cardio. All other exercise I do is to make me a better rider. So I do weight/interval training and yoga. I found a friend who wanted to check out my trainer so we go twice a week. It is in her home gym so no big public gym full of people which I found kinda depressing. Just the two of us and our trainer. Ditto with yoga. Tried many different instructors until I found my current one. Again a good friend loves this class too so we always go together. Also a small class - no more than 8 people but usually about 6. I don't like exercise but I really enjoy the benefits. Good luck.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of different approaches. For my daily, reliable exercise, I try to make it as high intensity as I can stand, since I would rather be completely miserable for 15 minutes than mostly bored for an hour. What I do is HIIT cycling, and at the end of 15 minutes I am dripping with sweat. High intensity exercise is better than lower intensity for most purposes having to do with weight loss anyway.

Then I also do Bollywood Zumba, for fun, and dancing around like an idiot, also for fun. And I try to make time to walk at the park. I would consider these medium and low intensity activities.

In addition, I lift weights, as heavy as my poor sad useless tendons will handle it, which means I have to progress slower than I would like. Again, I would rather lift heavy for a shorter period of time than spend hours doing something I don't enjoy. The challenge of new personal records keeps it interesting.

Without any more equipment than you have now, you could do bodyweight squats and push-ups and crunches. You could do Zumba videos and other fitness videos. You could do high intensity intervals of jumping exercises. There are a lot of options available. If it's not fun, go harder and shorter. There's no virtue in making yourself miserable for hours when hitting it hard for 15 minutes would do just as much for you.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My favourite is riding my horse where I get most of my cardio. All other exercise I do is to make me a better rider. So I do weight/interval training and yoga. I found a friend who wanted to check out my trainer so we go twice a week. It is in her home gym so no big public gym full of people which I found kinda depressing. Just the two of us and our trainer. Ditto with yoga. Tried many different instructors until I found my current one. Again a good friend loves this class too so we always go together. Also a small class - no more than 8 people but usually about 6. I don't like exercise but I really enjoy the benefits. Good luck.

This sounds familiar. I also ride and I LOVE cross-training! I have found that my aerial arts classes increase my upper body and core strength so I am becoming a better rider. And I lift weights to make me stronger for the aerial arts training!

I agree with everyone who said find something you like to do! Working out for the sake of working out can get old, but if you find an activity you enjoy you are more likely to keep doing it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I workout with friends and we do circuits and change them everytime we workout
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I found something I like, so that I'm likely to do it.

I know it sounds simplistic, but it really is that simple.