Long term frustration

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
edited July 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I have been logging and maintaining for 5 years. I had lost 38 pounds. Around a year ago I did some traveling and gained 5 pounds (I'm 160 now, which is a fine weight for me: BMI 23, I'm 5'10"). But I like it better at 150-155 range. I often would gain 5 pounds after traveling, even though I logged, but it would always come back down within a week. Over the 5 years it was taking longer and longer to get back down.

I have not been able to get back from 160 to 155. I am, frankly, puzzled. My calories are set down to a 500 calorie deficit and HAVE been for a year. I hit those goals. I walk an hour a day - and that definitely helps. I log everything.

I'm not gaining but I am not losing. I am going to up my exercise, redouble my logging meticulousness (maybe my portions have slipped upwards?). I'm going to look at my macros again - I know I can't lose no matter what if my carbs are over 40% and we have been eating a fair amount of rice. Fortunately, we are going towards paleo now for health reasons for both my husband and son.

Anything else I might be missing? It could just be slowing metabolism. I am almost 60. I first gained weight slowly when my metabolism slowed at 40. Don't want to do that again!

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Definitely frustrating! Many of your MFP friends are following this discussion because if you can't get back to your ultimate goal --- what does that say for the rest of us! Will be reading and following this.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Age is, indeed, a factor in TDEE calculation. The TDEE for a 60 year old with your stats is about 100 calories less/day than a 50 year old.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    If you have had a 500 calorie deficit for a year and you haven't lost weight, then you haven't actually had a calorie deficit.

Even though you've tightened up your logging, I would look there again with a kitchen scale. While our bodies do slow down as we age, it just means we are less active so we need less food. It doesn't mean out metabolism slows down and so we need less food while doing the same activity. That would mean we become more efficient as we age, and we know that's not right.

Perhaps you are over estimating the number of calories burned on exercise. You could choose to not eat back your exercise.

Yes, it does (bold section). Otherwise, your advice is on point. In addition, we need fewer calories when we become less active, at any age.
    Age is, indeed, a factor in TDEE calculation. The TDEE for a 60 year old with your stats is about 100 calories less/day than a 50 year old.
    ^^This is true. It is well-established info. MFP took away 50 calories on my birthday this year, and it wasn't even a "decade" age!

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    If you have had a 500 calorie deficit for a year and you haven't lost weight, then you haven't actually had a calorie deficit.

Even though you've tightened up your logging, I would look there again with a kitchen scale. While our bodies do slow down as we age, it just means we are less active so we need less food. It doesn't mean out metabolism slows down and so we need less food while doing the same activity. That would mean we become more efficient as we age, and we know that's not right.

Perhaps you are over estimating the number of calories burned on exercise. You could choose to not eat back your exercise.

Yes, it does (bold section). Otherwise, your advice is on point. In addition, we need fewer calories when we become less active, at any age.
    ^^This is true. It is well-established info. MFP took away 50 calories on my birthday this year, and it wasn't even a "decade" age!

Perhaps the way I'd written that didn't come through. What I meant to say was It doesn't mean that since our metabolism slows down therefore we need less food while doing the same activity.

That still doesn't come out right. What I mean is that a slowing metabolism isn't the problem.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You might need to change up your workout routine as well. Your body will get used to what you are eating and your physical activity load. Try to change it up and see if that helps. My wife was set in her ways with her workout videos and she hit a plateau for almost six months. She worked out with me and lost 6 pounds in her first month. Muscle confusion and changing up is always a good thing.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You might need to change up your workout routine as well. Your body will get used to what you are eating and your physical activity load. Try to change it up and see if that helps. My wife was set in her ways with her workout videos and she hit a plateau for almost six months. She worked out with me and lost 6 pounds in her first month. Muscle confusion and changing up is always a good thing.

"Changing things up" is good advice.

I would like to seem some definitive evidence of "muscle confusion" causing weight loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a fan of slow weight loss but here's an alternative option is to rapidly lose the 5lbs - short term rapid loss of a small amount of weight shouldn't cause any issues. (Very different to long term rapid loss of a lot of weight BTW.)

A suggestion could be hit it hard Monday to Friday, drop calories, keep protein high and step up your exercise.
    Back to your "normal" routine for the weekend.
    Hit it hard again Mon-Fri.
  • nxd10
    Options
    This is going to sound dumb, but I also realized re-reading this that my problem with gaining those 5 pounds happened when I went from using a fitbit to using an apple watch. In general, the apple watch gives me fewer calories back than fitbit did (sometimes frustratingly so) and WAY fewer than when I logged exercise manually. However, the watch is on my wrist and the fitbit was on my waist. And I play the banjo. A LOT - like several hours a night). I wonder if the calorie 'deficit' I'm on compensates for that difference in exercise measurement (which is why I'm stable but can't lose).

I'm going to try not eating exercise back for a few weeks until I drop the weight and see if I can maintain at a lower level.

And I am weighing food again. The family is moving to a paleo diet and too many carbs always cause my problems (every one of my blood relations has diabetes except me).

Thank you all!
  • nxd10
    Options
    Thank you middhaitch. That was also very helpful. My exercise is good and activity are fine - one thing The apple watch is good at is reminding me to get up every hour, hit my steps, and also hit 30 minutes of elevated heart rate activity. But I am sure I am losing muscle mass. I don't do any resistance training and that is supposed to be good for me in more ways than just upping my calorie count.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym, try a yoga or Pilates class. You'll improve your upper body and abdominal (core) strength.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Aww, nice of you to come back and let us know how things are going.
    Sorry you are feeling more hunger than you would like.
    Are the cals you will get on your lower weight, once you are finished losing, enough to satisfy you?

Cheers, h.