Long term

Options
Any ideas for staying motivated and keeping the weight off long term? Every time I lose the weight I end up skipping the gym more and more and eating lots of calories. Before I know it having to lose 10lbs again or rebuild lean muscle. Chronic yo-yo last two years. Last phase from 217-180 after three months of training. One month off back at 190.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    I always had some kind of at home exercise backup. Some days I just could do the gym. But my timeslot was my timeslot. Good habits need to be defended.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I agree that the exercise you do needs to be something you look forward to doing. Being outside is something I really enjoy. I hike, walk and run. Walking keeps me in shape for hiking, while hiking/backpacking is my joy. I like to run races, so my daily runs are part of prepping for the long races that are my reward.

As to food, I've learned the foods and food habits that cause me to gain weight. If I'm not exercising a lot, I restrict my more fattening treats, saving them for times when I'm running or hiking more. I don't need pizza and ice cream every day and I know what happens if I indulge in them too often.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    chrs86 wrote: »
    Any ideas for staying motivated and keeping the weight off long term? Every time I lose the weight I end up skipping the gym more and more and eating lots of calories. Before I know it having to lose 10lbs again or rebuild lean muscle. Chronic yo-yo last two years. Last phase from 217-180 after three months of training. One month off back at 190.

Find an exercise you like. If you skip the gym, maybe it's not for you. Maybe there's something else that would interest you more.

Incorporate exercise throughout your day. Take the stairs, go for a walk at lunch, actively commute.

Locate goals and challenges. Is there a local century (100 mile bicycle ride) you'd like to do? Is there a marathon you'd like to run? Is there a particular mountain you'd like to hike to the top of? When you accomplish something ... pick the next challenge. I'm into long distance cycling and there are always more and more events to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would split the weight and fitness into two parts.

Set an acceptable weight range or just an upper intervention level that triggers you to stop the slide early. Monitor your weight regularly and make it a habit.

For the fitness side if this is a pattern that keeps repeating then would guess that what you are doing at the gym doesn't inspire or motivate you. Try other things until you find one that does. Whether indoors or outdoors - or both.

Enjoyment is clearly a big bonus but there's also the challenge side.
    I'm fiercely self-competitive and am always setting and chasing new challenges. Some short term, some long term, some serious, some completely trivial but fun.

One thing that doesn't get a lot of mentions on here is sport - is there a sport you enjoy and can commit to?

Agree with @Machka9 about general activity. It's a silent calorie burner but makes a significant difference to energy levels. Make movement normal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If the only reason you were exercising was to help with weight loss then it makes sense that you would find it hard to continue. Instead of going to the gym, find some physical activity that you enjoy and set goals for improving your ability to do that activity.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Exercise isn't a factor in my weight management plan because I know way too many people who put a lot of emphasis on exercise for weight loss/maintenance, and then due to life changes/injury stopped doing their routines and ended up gaining all the weight back. They never focused on the biggest part of weight management-how many calories you're eating.

I've been maintaining now for a little over 4 years without any big re-gains and I've done it by controlling my calorie intake ie being mindful of how much I'm eating. Any exercise/extra physical activities are just a nice little bonus and I don't count on them/factor them into my weight management plan.