I have an unusual allergy thus here is my question...

Options
Purple_Dracholic
Purple_Dracholic Posts: 29 Member
I recently found out I am allergic to black pepper. A lot of recipes that I find have black pepper in them. I know I could just withhold it but it does change the taste. Does anyone have any recipes where withholding the pepper will not matter? I do like garlic if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I never use pepper, so I don't see how it's necessary to add to any dish. You should be just fine without it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you swap it out for white or green pepper?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Are you also allergic to red pepper and paprika? I often use paprika in dishes that call for black pepper.

Another savory possibility is cumin. Or if what you want is a sharp, piquant taste, something like fresh ginger might help. It would change the flavor profile significantly, but it wouldn't be bland.
  • Purple_Dracholic
    Options
    I am not sure if I can swap it for white or green pepper. My doctor has me carrying an epi pen. It is not to the point where I need it yet but they worry that it will be if I keep getting more into my system. Also I don't know about other peppers because I don't like spicy. As for paprika I have had that and have not noticed an issue. Thanks all for the advice. My allergy now makes going out very hard to do lol. Now that I am watching what I eat makes it harder still lol.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It's hard to imagine a recipe you couldn't leave the black pepper out of. Even a black-pepper coated steak could be coated in something else or not coated at all. Yes, the taste would be different but that's not the issue here.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it makes a difference when black pepper is used as part of a recipe, as opposed to being sprinkled on food just before eating. For example, you cook a batch of soup or stew and add pepper before simmering, by which the effects of the pepper would disappear by the time the meal is ready to eat.

It might be worth to investigate this.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I saw on a cooking show years ago that the spice "grains of paradise" was the first pepper or commonly used like pepper many many years ago. I think it got expensive or something like that. You might research that. I bought some from Spice House to mix with pepper in my pepper grinder per the TV chef's recommendation.
  • Purple_Dracholic
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I'm particularly fond of Aleppo pepper, pepper from Turkey. It has a taste similar to paprika, rich and deep without being too hot. Penzey's has it, and you can find it on Amazon. There are both hot and mild paprikas; the best are from Hungary. A good paprika has a lot more depth and complexity of flavor than you'll find in low-end grocery brands and is worth the investment.

White pepper is made from black pepper with the hull taken off, and pink pepper is a different species from the same family as black pepper -- so I'd avoid both of them. But paprika, chipotle pepper, jalapeños, bell peppers, banana peppers and the like are all related to each other but not to the black pepper plant, which is why you're OK for them. Sichuan (szechuan) pepper is not related to black pepper, so you might be OK with it -- but the taste is *very* different.

Thanks so much for this info I had no clue about the families.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will likely have to resort to home cooking for most meals.

If you don't like spicy food then I think you are golden. Simply skip the pepper in the recipe. It will taste blander, but you like bland!

If it turns out you are OK with paprika, it is milder than black pepper so you are still golden. Smoked paprika is very tasty.

Just skip the pepper:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/canal-house-classic-vinaigrette
  • Purple_Dracholic
    Options
    blueeyetea wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it makes a difference when black pepper is used as part of a recipe, as opposed to being sprinkled on food just before eating. For example, you cook a batch of soup or stew and add pepper before simmering, by which the effects of the pepper would disappear by the time the meal is ready to eat.

It might be worth to investigate this.

It doesn't make a difference if it is on or in when I ingest any I get really stuffed up due to swelling in my nostril area. The doc is worried it will eventually travel to my treat and that will start closing up too.
  • Purple_Dracholic
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You will likely have to resort to home cooking for most meals.

If you don't like spicy food then I think you are golden. Simply skip the pepper in the recipe. It will taste blander, but you like bland!

If it turns out you are OK with paprika, it is milder than black pepper so you are still golden. Smoked paprika is very tasty.

Just skip the pepper:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/canal-house-classic-vinaigrette

Well I am not saying I like bland lol I just don't like spicy lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So somewhere between spicy and bland but not totally bland. Paprika may be your spice then.

I had a whole range of spices to suggest for you but you would likely find them too spicy. I am rather fond of the whole range of curries and mustards right now. I made a potato pie with buckwheat and Garam Masala, slow roasting it on my cast iron frying pan. Oh, the aromas!

But this thread is not about me.

Paprika.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you like flavour but not the spice, skip pepper/spicy altogether and just move to garlic, onion, curry, cinnamon, mustards, etc. You can certainly flavour-up any dish without using any form of pepper. Cinnamon surprised me the most. A tiny hint of it tastes really good in red meat dishes.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Don't like black pepper.love turmeric. Different taste, but good.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I was going to suggest white pepper, but I saw that somebody else already suggested it. How did you find out about that allergy? Maybe not adding pepper is the best idea unless I could test you for the other peppers.
  • wyominghuntress
    wyominghuntress Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Papaya seeds are a great substitute for black pepper. Very close in taste, texture, and colour. Each time you buy a papaya rinse the seeds and let them air dry over night. Then grind or place in spice mill.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Pepper and peppers don't sit well with me ... I simply avoid them. :)
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Might be easier to switch to a new recipe than finding pepper replacement. Fish you can try lime juice. Steak you may try using basil and thyme more. Poultry can try to sir fried it with garlic then add like 1/4 of white wine and lid on for few min. Salad might try vinegar based dressing.
    Black pepper is not too big in Chinese cooking. At least my grandma never use it other than deep fried foods. Perhaps you could try to look into some other countries' recipe for idea.
    Miso, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, teriyaki sauce, black bean paste, lime juice, dried orange peel, curry, nut meg, these are my typical go to spices.