Help With Body Recomp / Maintenance

Hello Everyone,

It has been an emotional and physical struggle over the last 18 months to lose the weight I have put on due to a lifestyle change, and now that I am approaching my goal weight, I would like to seek the advice of the community for help transitioning into maintenance and body recomposition. I plan on starting around Aug 1st, depending on my weigh in tomorrow, and how things go the rest of the month. But I've read on a few threads that you should start when you are a few pounds away from goal?

For mental health reasons, bulking and cutting is not for me. That being said, I am aware that body recomp is a slow process that takes a long time - that's fine, I'm in this for the long haul. At this point in my life, this is about my health and confidence.

I don't really know what I'm doing. It took me a lot of trial and error to get losing down right, and I'm doing really well now, don't want to lose my momentum. If anyone could help me out setting my goals and macro's, perhaps leading me towards a good website or two, I would very much appreciate it. Theres so much information out there, its hard to make heads or tails of it.

A Little About Me:

SW: 201 CW: 176 GW: 170 H: 5'6"

Exercise:
- CrossFit 3x Week (Usually Compound Lift Sets and 15 - 30 Mins of High Intensity)
- 1 Heavy Lifting Day at Gym
- 1 or 2 Dumbbell Days at Home (30 mins or so)

I also walk at least 6 Miles a week, although some weeks its closer to 15. It really depends on the weather. Desk job.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer or point me to.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    All you have to do is increase your cals to get to maintenance - you are already training.
    You can start edging up your cals before you get to goal, a soft landing if you like. Most people probably wait until they get to the top of their desired weight range before ramping them up slowly.

Macros are less important at maintenance than when losing, change them if you want to but not necessary, you will have lost one of the drivers for having a higher than normal protein intake (muscle retention whilst dieting).
    It's easier to hit reasonable protein and fat minimum goals at maintenance purely because you are eating more.

There's no need for complexity unless you really want to make something simple and normal complex. If you are close to genetic potential or have very high physique goals then that would be the time to concern yourself with minutiae.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    I had a similar goal to yours (170lbs, I'm 5'9") and reached my goal weight in June. This is about the 5th time I've cut 15+lbs in my long life. I have been as high as 215lbs (I was very fit and fat at that time), but not this light in over 20 years.

Maintenance. Let's just put it in two words: constant vigilance. If you want to keep it off, you need to take the same approach as dieting. Continue to log and develop meals the fit within the somewhat higher limits. When you have a day that's over, you compensate by having a day that's under.

Keep calm and keep logging.

And, if you figure it out, let me know. It's a constant struggle!
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Thank you both for your help! Hope to reach out to you in a while with an update.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    it sounds to me like you should keep doing what you're doing, but with a handful more calories. nice job.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    I'm also going to start maintenance on August 1st. Feel free to add me for support.