Lower back tightness after deadlifting

Options
Hey guys, I've been deadlifting for a few weeks now. Generally I do deadlifts right after heavy squats, and recently I've started to notice my lower back being really tight (not painful) for a few minutes after deadlifting. I should mention that when I deadlift i don't let the bar all the way to the ground, so it's really more of a Stiff legged DL which I know hits the lower back more than conventional.

Just want to know from the other DLers is this normal or could it be a form issue? I should also point out about 6 months ago I had to take a break from lifting due to some lower back pain that lasted for about 3 or 4 days (couldn't even bend over), though haven't had any pain since. Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I've always thought stiff leg DL target the hamstrings, the lower back is involved and if your not using the full range of motion then the stress is on the lower back.
    I was always taught if lifting heavy then squats and dead lift should never be done the same day or even back to back days. They are two huge compound movements like squat and deadlift involve a lot of the same muscles.
  • pmyn29
    pmyn29 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm running a Modified PPL and do squats + DL on my leg day. I guess I can try switching deads to my pull day and see if I get the same thing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing squats and deadlifts on the same day, provided your recovery is good. Heck, some experts recommend doing them on the same day so that you can get a full week of recovery, if needed.

Regarding your tightness, it could be a form issue, but I'd normally expect some tightness/soreness there, as your spinal erectors are hit pretty hard during all deadlift variations. And your lower back is worked (mainly as a stabilizer) a bit with squats.

As long as you're not in actual pain, I doubt there's much to worry about.
  • chrispd87
    chrispd87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I DL heavy then squat light (for volume/assistance) on Wendlers 531. As said above, if it's programmed right and you're not going really heavy on both lifts you should be fine. Maybe try a belt on the heavier lifts if you don't already.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I squat and deadlift on the same day, there's nothing wrong with it. I suggest filming yourself doing both. It's likely that you just have a weak lower back and so it takes the brunt of the force. Try adding in some accessory work to help bring it up.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Probably just a lower back pump. Similar to when you do leg extensions and your quads get full of blood and feel tight, probably the same thing if you're not feeling pain.

Stiff legged deadlifts are gonna target your glutes and lower back.
  • pmyn29
    Options
    Some good advice. For now I'm gonna assume it's a combination of a weak lower back and just pump from lifting. Gonna deload just to be safe and see if there's any difference when I work my way back up. Thanks all
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also had aches in lower back when I started lifting years ago, aslong as your firm is good I don't see any problems, it didn't stay aching for long for me, guess it's just the muscles getting used to it
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing after my amrap sets. As another poster mentioned, your low back musculature will get a pump, just like any other muscles. The difference is that we have this silly *kitten* cultural aversion to feeling anything in the back musculature, so you're more likely to notice it.

I find it hilarious that we treat the back like this fragile thing just waiting to snap.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that incident where you couldn't bend over for 3-4 days could very well be the beginning of a herniated disc. I went through a couple of these incidents on my way to a really bad and angry injury w/ sciatica that lasted about a year...which you don't want to happen to you.

You might get a couple of little incidents before disaster...but it's a warning sign, and you might be recognizing another one right now before it gets too bad.

I would seriously consider making sure your form is spot on...reduce weight, maybe video yourself and show it to the guys here or somewhere else who really know what they're doing about lifting mechanics (lol, that's not me...but I know screwed up backs).

Don't ignore low back pain...there's a difference between sore or pumped back muscles like erectors and your disc being inflamed and making you tight and stiff/painful to flex (like tie your shoes). A deep down ache is probably not good.

It may be hilarious to some...but your back actually is this fragile thing that is just waiting to snap and it really really sucks when that happens...so it's in your best personal interests to make sure that your form is right.

Good luck man!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    pmyn29 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been deadlifting for a few weeks now. Generally I do deadlifts right after heavy squats, and recently I've started to notice my lower back being really tight (not painful) for a few minutes after deadlifting. I should mention that when I deadlift i don't let the bar all the way to the ground, so it's really more of a Stiff legged DL which I know hits the lower back more than conventional.

Just want to know from the other DLers is this normal or could it be a form issue? I should also point out about 6 months ago I had to take a break from lifting due to some lower back pain that lasted for about 3 or 4 days (couldn't even bend over), though haven't had any pain since. Thanks for the advice.

Go much lighter and work on form and work on strengthening your core, it's because you lack core strength and stability is likely the reason you are overusing your lower back thus the pain after the exercises.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    you miiiiiiight be forgetting your lats a bit too. they help with maintaining your spine's position relative your pelvis.

so if you're forgetting and letting them relax too soon, the soreness might mean your ql and spinal erectors are having to pick up the slack. it's easy to do this, especially on the eccentric part :tongue: i never have not-done the eccentric, but i really have to school my brain to not act like the lift is already over just because i got it all the way up to lockout.

not qualified to offer any comments on whether you're putting yourself at risk or not.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for cool down? A foam roller can help ease the tightness. I also use foam therapy balls for the same purpose.
  • pmyn29
    Options
    I foam roll for cool down.

Seth, I think you were spot on with the weak core. It's probably what's holding back my bench as well. Got some good advice from friends on good core exercises that I'm gonna pay special attention to before I continue adding weight to my squat/deads.