Slimfast, Slimming World, 1300 cal weight loss.

Options
emilyreed7018
emilyreed7018 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I originally was on slimming world but with all the free and speed food I was eating around 2300-2600 calories a day and not losing anything. I was doing Slimfast being strict and only consuming about 900 calories a day, was always hungry and again wasn't losing anything. So my question will I lose weight if I stick to 1300 calories a day?? I'm trying to balance out my meals within staggered times but still under 1300. In the long run is this a good way to lose weight? I don't like following diets and sticking to these calories a day is easy. Should I be eating less than 1300 calories a day to lose weight or is 1300 too much. I currently have 8 st 2 lbs to lose. Thank you

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1300 actually sounds pretty low for the amount you have to lose. Is that what MFP gave you for 2 pounds a week?
  • emilyreed7018
    edited July 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    1300 actually sounds pretty low for the amount you have to lose. Is that what MFP gave you for 2 pounds a week?

MFP originally gave me 2163 calories a day but I was eating that many calories on slimming world and not losing anything. So I've gone for a rough middle number between the Slimfast diet and the slimming world diet calories allowed a day.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging? Weighing anything? Weighing everything you eat? That is the key. Logging 1300 calories won't mean anything unless you are also eating 1300 calories.

Was 2163 for a 2 pound weight loss goal per week? Seems high if so, but of course we do not know your activity level...
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you followed slimming world to the letter (and yes I have done) then with 8 stone to lose you still would have lost so I have to say you were not doing it correctly. I had a lot less to lose and was consuming over 2,000 calories a day and still lost. No weighing or measuring except for the syns.

If you then dropped to 900 on slim fast and still didn't lose then something is not right.

How long did you give both of them before changing?
  • emilyreed7018
    Options
    How accurately are you logging? Weighing anything? Weighing everything you eat? That is the key. Logging 1300 calories won't mean anything unless you are also eating 1300 calories.

Was 2163 for a 2 pound weight loss goal per week? Seems high if so, but of course we do not know your activity level...

On my '1300 diet' I'm logging absolutely everything, so definitely am sticking to 1300 a day. My activity level is pretty moderate, I mean I work 4 12 hour shifts a week and I'm on my feet for those 12 hours and but thats generally it.
  • emilyreed7018
    Options
    If you followed slimming world to the letter (and yes I have done) then with 8 stone to lose you still would have lost so I have to say you were not doing it correctly. I had a lot less to lose and was consuming over 2,000 calories a day and still lost. No weighing or measuring except for the syns.

If you then dropped to 900 on slim fast and still didn't lose then something is not right.

I did slimming world for 3 months and lost 4lbs, I then started counting calories on slimming world and was shocked to see I was eating 2000+ calories a day on slimming world. Slimfast I did for 6 weeks and again only lost 2lbs.
  • emilyreed7018
    Options

MFP originally gave me 2163 calories a day but I was eating that many calories on slimming world and not losing anything. So I've gone for a rough middle number between the Slimfast diet and the slimming world diet calories allowed a day.

I'm not too familiar with Slimming World (American here), but I would say you were likely eating more than you think due to the way they have you measure your foods. If you don't have one, I suggest purchasing a food scale to weigh everything on. This will give you more accuracy when it comes to logging and more success in losing.

On slimming world there is no measuring as such, you get your free foods and you can eat as many as you want this includes all carbs, including white pasta and potatoes. All meats, fruits and vegetables as long as a whole load of other foods. On this '1300 calories a day diet' I'm measuring and logging everything to the gram.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

You said you were eating 2300-2600 on Slimming World. There's a not-insignificant difference between that and the 2163 that MFP gives you.

Are you accurately measuring both your food and your exercise?
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have to highly recommend a digital food scale. I just bought one and was amazed at the difference between my Tablespoon vs. actual grams of my solid foods. I was easily adding a few hundred calories a day, just but measuring solid/dry foods with cups and spoons. Also, if MFP suggested 2136 calories but you feel like that is too much, maybe shoot for 1900-2000. You'll still have a deficit, but be able to eat in a way that is more sustainable long term. You don't want to get burnt out then binge.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with Slimming World is that the foods aren't "free". Similar to the Weight Watchers "no count" foods, you are only supposed to eat enough until you are full. As most of us on here are apt at ignorning the "I'm full" signals from our brain before we start dieting, chances are, thatwhen you're doing Slimming World, the same is happening. Until last month I worked in a bar also doing long shifts and I didn't bother to track thinks life the free squash they gave us, milk in tea etc. When I did, I realised that I was eating an extra 250 calories a day without realising as the squash was 30 a glass and the kitchen only stocked semi-skimmed milk for us.

With all programs, whatever works for you, remember that nothing is truly free. Whether it's foods that they are tell you are free or drinks that we tell ourselves that are free. The only thing that is free is water.

Hand on heart honesty, yes one should be able to loose weight eating 1300 calories day but you may not be able to if you set that as a goal as it didn't work at 900. The calorie number is obviously not the issue here. Take a look at how you eat, stick to your limit, and come back in a month.

Drinking squash? With milk?
    What is that?
    I'm picturing people standing sround with butternuts and zucchinis with fancy straws snd umbrellas sticking out of them now!
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    dottiestlottiest2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No, not together. Squash (cordial/juice if you're not from the UK) with water and milk with tea.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You probably didn't lose on SLimfast because the diet calls for 1200 calories not 900. Your body probably went into starvation mode and stored your fat.

Yeah no. That's not how the body works.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You probably didn't lose on SLimfast because the diet calls for 1200 calories not 900. Your body probably went into starvation mode and stored your fat. I've been on SLimfast for 19 days and have lost 9 lbs. I would try following the plan which calls for 1200 calories and you may see a difference.

"Starvation mode" the way you're using it is not a thing. If someone is actually eating 900 calories and not losing, they're not going to start losing by eating more.

eta: Telling people who are not losing weight, in this type of situation, to eat more is not just wrong, it can be harmful when it distracts them from examining their logging and exercise calories for inaccuracies.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I did slimming world for 3 months and lost 4lbs, I then started counting calories on slimming world and was shocked to see I was eating 2000+ calories a day on slimming world. Slimfast I did for 6 weeks and again only lost 2lbs.

So I think that the issue may lie more in your expectations re: speed of loss. Between those two attempts you lost 6lbs, that isn't "not losing anything". It isn't your ideal rate of loss but that may be a result of your logging.

So long as you are weighing your food accurately, in grams, and choosing appropriate food entries from the database you should continue to lose at 1300.