Overcoming a lower back injury.

Options
big_jon_1988
big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
I've been having pretty bad lower back issues over the last year and a half on and off, generally it's something that starts to go away, I give it months to heal and it gets reinjured when I start to ease back in, last two times from squats, before that it was picking up dumbbells to shrug.

It's been a big enough issue that I can no longer back squat or deadlift for the time being, I originally was thinking it was a disk issue, and unfortunately where I live it's like a year waiting list for an MRI.

2 months ago I tried to backsquat light again after a 3 month rest period from the last injury, and with very little weight 135 it tweaked out again, basically hard to walk for a week, really bad. So I finally got fed up and looked into a good phisiotherepist, been seeing him for 2 months, working back up, building core and back strength up, generally I feel pretty good day to day now, but I still have bad days, today is one of them.

It's very demoralizing to go from being strong to very weak in a short period of time. I miss back squats and deadlifts, but I'm trying to remain vigilant to heal my injury to get back to them not trying to rush at all.

Anyways my question is mainly has anyone overcome something like this? I'm just so frustrated and want to hear a success story. I used to deadlift 405 for reps, now I have to be careful about picking up 100 pounds. Anyone gotten past something similar?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sure. I have a progressive joint disease. It takes me roughly a half hour just to walk when I wake up because of all the swelling and stiffness. I used a cane for years. Recently I obtained state record in the USAPL, so thing can get better if you find ways of improving your situation.

When you find out what is exactly going on with your reoccurring injury, I would find a local Starting Strength coach(Dr Buraki or Dr Feigenbaum will do online training if that is a option) and work with him/her. They help strengthen many many people that have simular issues as you.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've been having pretty bad lower back issues over the last year and a half on and off, generally it's something that starts to go away, I give it months to heal and it gets reinjured when I start to ease back in, last two times from squats, before that it was picking up dumbbells to shrug.

It's been a big enough issue that I can no longer back squat or deadlift for the time being, I originally was thinking it was a disk issue, and unfortunately where I live it's like a year waiting list for an MRI.

2 months ago I tried to backsquat light again after a 3 month rest period from the last injury, and with very little weight 135 it tweaked out again, basically hard to walk for a week, really bad. So I finally got fed up and looked into a good phisiotherepist, been seeing him for 2 months, working back up, building core and back strength up, generally I feel pretty good day to day now, but I still have bad days, today is one of them.

It's very demoralizing to go from being strong to very weak in a short period of time. I miss back squats and deadlifts, but I'm trying to remain vigilant to heal my injury to get back to them not trying to rush at all.

Anyways my question is mainly has anyone overcome something like this? I'm just so frustrated and want to hear a success story. I used to deadlift 405 for reps, now I have to be careful about picking up 100 pounds. Anyone gotten past something similar?

Sounds like a progressive form issue that will require extensive work with a good physio and trainer to correct your form and identify where your deficiencies exist.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above...I have/had the same issue. poor flexibility led to bad form on those lifts. bad form led to a back injury. I ended up taking 6-7 months off those lifts. Funny thing is, some prednisone for a shoulder injury basically cleared up the residual pain i was having after stopping those lifts for a couple of months.

I'm now back at squats, going light, and working my way up. Real deadlifts (i'm doing hex bar lifts for the time being) will have to wait for now.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

You should try taking up Pilates but make sure you go to an actual class and let the instructor know of your back issues. Pilates might go some way to helping the lower back problems.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I can't tell you that I've recovered. I will never squat anything more than body weight, and I will likely never pick up a dumbell heavier than 30lbs or so. I have had a lamenectomy in the L4/L5 disc of my back, and I've also managed to re-injure that disc twice since then, plus two others. I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and a history of bad backs in my family. I stick with body weight these days or use weights only when I can keep that weight off my lower back. See a good doctor, preferably one that deals in sports medicine or an Ortho doctor. Find out what's causing the pain so you can deal with it. You can recover with a strong core. I was told after my surgery that I would never run again, never lift more than 15lbs, and should expect some deal of pain the rest of my life. For years I listened to them, then I started my journey here at MFP. I lost 126lbs, and now can run a 5k, lift 30-50lbs without any damage to my back (as long as I lift it correctly), and have built a core as solid as I can. For me what helped the most was yoga, stretching, and core work. Then more core work. Then some core work on top of that. Then when I was really tired, more core work. Core core core.

This is so important. Many doctors believe(quite correctly) that their patients aren't willing to put the effort in to adapt around injuries like this, and so their recommendations will never lead down a path that will either work around the injury, or build appropriate strength to prevent/postpone future injuries when one is likely(based on history/current diagnosis)

When caught far enough in advance core strength/deficiencies can be adapted and corrected to prevent or postpone injury/inflammation in a relatively healthy and strong younger person. When addressed after injury, it can be impossible gain full resolution of structural and strength deficiencies due to the existing structural damage due to the injury.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    This is so important. Many doctors believe(quite correctly) that their patients aren't willing to put the effort in to adapt around injuries like this, and so their recommendations will never lead down a path that will either work around the injury, or build appropriate strength to prevent/postpone future injuries when one is likely(based on history/current diagnosis)

When caught far enough in advance core strength/deficiencies can be adapted and corrected to prevent or postpone injury/inflammation in a relatively healthy and strong younger person. When addressed after injury, it can be impossible gain full resolution of structural and strength deficiencies due to the existing structural damage due to the injury.

Agreed. My issues were addressed not only after injury but years after believing the prognosis that I could never do more. Had I worked on it 10 years prior to my start here to fitness I'd be in even better shape, and may have avoided much more recent injuries. Live and learn.

From the OP's original post though, one mistake I originally made was ignoring the injury for years before it took me down. For years it was a nagging pain and limited what I could do, eventually I ended up in emergency surgery which could have been avoided. See a doctor. An Orthopedic surgeon will sometimes recommend surgery right away (as will some of these quick in/out back pain hospitals you see on TV). A good Orthopedic surgeon will try to avoid it by use of steroids, physical therapy, and building core strength, then resort to surgery if needed.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Agreed. My issues were addressed not only after injury but years after believing the prognosis that I could never do more. Had I worked on it 10 years prior to my start here to fitness I'd be in even better shape, and may have avoided much more recent injuries. Live and learn.

From the OP's original post though, one mistake I originally made was ignoring the injury for years before it took me down. For years it was a nagging pain and limited what I could do, eventually I ended up in emergency surgery which could have been avoided. See a doctor. An Orthopedic surgeon will sometimes recommend surgery right away (as will some of these quick in/out back pain hospitals you see on TV). A good Orthopedic surgeon will try to avoid it by use of steroids, physical therapy, and building core strength, then resort to surgery if needed.

For most people, core work is hard... and not very sexy. and doesn't give immediate observable gains.

The great thing is though, once you've got that solid foundation, everything else is so much easier, including some less obvious stuff like pullups and pushups(and squats and DLs of course)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The great thing is though, once you've got that solid foundation, everything else is so much easier, including some less obvious stuff like pullups and pushups(and squats and DLs of course)

Agree x10000!
  • big_jon_1988
    Options
    Yeah, I've been building up the core strength again a number of times a week, I've also been working to improve form based on my phisiotherepists recommendations. I've found overhead squats to feel better and goblet squats as well. Been taking it slow, though it can be difficult sometimes because I work a very physical job. Thanks for the advice.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm dealing with something similar. I haven't been able to squat or deadlift for maybe 3 months now due to a back injury. A few times I thought I was better, but then it started acting up again. My ego is bruised and I feel pathetic in my squat shoes, with *kitten* 95 lbs on the bar. But most of all I miss training for powerlifting. I have days in the gym now where I just want to throw something at someone. I'm *kitten* tired of it.

I guess I didn't help. Just commiserating with you.
  • big_jon_1988
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah, it kind of blows, I've been overhead squating a little more weight each week because back squats even with a tiny amount of weight could hurt my back. Last week I was doing 50 lbs total, it's a little bit odd seeing a 220lb guy who's been lifting for 7 years or so squatting such a tiny amount of weight. Especially when I move over to bench press and am repping out near 300. Lol. At least I bike a lot so my legs are still strong.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

You should try taking up Pilates but make sure you go to an actual class and let the instructor know of your back issues. Pilates might go some way to helping the lower back problems.

I'm no lifter or anything but I'll second Pilates. I had a back issue years ago from repetitive use and doing Pilates was the only time I'd be pain free. I also got stretches at physio. You might want to try stretching and increasing flexibility because perhaps you are compensating for tight muscles with your Form causing injuries (why the heck for Form always correct to be capitalized?)
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a pinched nerve maybe? I had sciatica so bad for a year I was taking multiple pain killers and 20+ Advil a day. I finally took a steroid pack and it's been gone for 7 years.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    An MRI is bound to show dislocated or herniated disks. It's a waste of money and time. I'd get an X-ray to see if you have a fracture in anything. If you get cleared from that ask for a steroid pack. My disks look like *kitten* but I'm fine.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I feel pathetic in my squat shoes, with *kitten* 95 lbs on the bar.

lol. how relative everything is. just getting to 95 pounds without any (so far touch wood) repercussions made me ecstatic a few weeks ago. i've been trying to squat for three years, and it seems like every time i reach that particular weight something breaks and i'm back to start-over-all-over-again once again.

i'm not saying that in an 'i win' kind of way or trying to make it seem like you don't have a case for your own emotions. i'm more posting just to say how much i relate to the feeling itself. i find i don't even want to put 25's on the bar, in case the next time people see me using them is back to being just a long-term dream.

i don't know yet what my own problem is, but mine seems to be some kind of hip dysfunction, and/or a residue of a very old foot injury. or some mashed-up combination of both. in the meantime though, i do relate. even staying in there and continuing to try and find a genuine, safe way around or past it can make me feel pitiful and wannabe-ish.
  • big_jon_1988
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    An MRI is bound to show dislocated or herniated disks. It's a waste of money and time. I'd get an X-ray to see if you have a fracture in anything. If you get cleared from that ask for a steroid pack. My disks look like *kitten* but I'm fine.

Yeah I got an xray a few months ago, nothing turned up
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I feel like it's all fine and dandy to tell someone to "stretch" but really, if you don't know what the injury is, you don't know what stretches are best. And it might be that someone needs more strengthening or mobilization exercises as well.

I hurt my back. What would you tell me to do? Only the PT knows it was facet joint syndrome and what should be done for that injury.
  • big_jon_1988
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah I mean I do feel that hamstring tightness and lack of ankle mobility have both may have been a factor in this injury, so I am setting aside more time to stretch. I should probably do more though still. I've also been hitting core twice a week at the gym along with my regular split, and doing planks a few times a week on top of that.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Yeah I mean I do feel that hamstring tightness and lack of ankle mobility have both may have been a factor in this injury, so I am setting aside more time to stretch. I should probably do more though still. I've also been hitting core twice a week at the gym along with my regular split, and doing planks a few times a week on top of that.

Yeah my PT prescribed planks making sure to have the proper posterior pelvic tilt. I'm supposed to be doing side planks to but god I *kitten* hate them.