Weird food combos

Options
EmPhil95
EmPhil95 Posts: 21 Member
Does anyone else find themselves eating things in combinations that they never would have considered before this journey? One of my favourite things to eat now is avocado and honey on toast; it gets healthy fats, protein and sugar in one hit and tastes delicious but most people seem to think it's super weird haha!

Share your most surprising food discovery below!

Replies

• anna246marie
    anna246marie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Haha that sounds gross!!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I actually think it sounds fantastic. Avocado on toast, good! Honey on toast, good!

Avocado and honey are in lots of things together, so it totally makes sense they'd be good together on toast!

I can't think of any weird combos new to me since beginning my weight loss--but I have always been accused of eating weird things, so who knows?

My main surprise has been that nonfat greek yogurt is often a perfectly good substitute for mayo and/or sour cream. That's exactly the sort of substitution I would have turned my nose up at not too long ago!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not new for me but I love to put olives (especially oil-cured olives) in my Greek yogurt.
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pan fried Sweet potatoes with braised kale, bacon and over easy eggs.
    It's so yummy you get a sweet with salty crunch and he gravy like texture from yolk I season it with white pepper and salt favs
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with poached egg
  • EmPhil95
    EmPhil95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pan fried Sweet potatoes with braised kale, bacon and over easy eggs.
    It's so yummy you get a sweet with salty crunch and he gravy like texture from yolk I season it with white pepper and salt favs

That sounds incredible!! (I'd maybe replace the kale with spinach though...)
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Everything in this thread sounds so normal that I'm trying to think of what I eat that people might think is weird.

I'm not coming up with much, but maybe putting a poached or over-easy egg on black beans, rice, or cold salads? It's delicious and creamy and perfect, and with cold salads provides a great temperature contrast and wilts the greens slightly. Beautiful.

Speaking of egg, my favorite breakfast sandwich is a croissant or bagel with whatever meat is on hand (sausage and bacon are obvious, also good are ham or roast beef), egg cooked however you like it, cream cheese, a good slice of raw red onion, and a healthy drizzle of honey. Hot sauce is a great addition. The whole thing is rich and salty and sweet (and maybe spicy), creamy and crunchy and chewy. It's glorious and I can imagine people thinking the honey and onion are an odd combo.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower oatmeal - rice cauliflower in food processor; add banana to food processor; pour mixture in a sauce pan; add cut apples, cashew milk, SF maple syrup and cinnamon; simmer for 20-30 minutes. I woulda thought you were absolutely off your rocker if you asked me to try cauliflower oatmeal 2 years ago but now I eat a variation of it (my other "go to" version is swapping the apples for blueberries and pb2) every day!
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I love wheat toast with cottage cheese topped with avocado and salsa
  • Shoptawbx
    Shoptawbx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was eating a boiled egg on toast with jelly for breakfast but needed to hip my protein to get me through to lunch. Now i have a boiled egg on toast with peanut butter and strawberry jelly. Yum.