Playstation 4

Options
JeepHair77
JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
I think our boys are getting a PS4 for their birthdays (only a week apart - it'll be a joint gift).

They're 11 and 14. Plus my daughter is 12. Plus I like to play dumb, no-commitment games like Mario Kart and Mario Bros. (I'm going to miss our Wii - this was not my decision).

Game recommendations?

Replies

• _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    All my games are rated M
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Any of the LEGO marketed games. Super fun, easy for adults and kids alike, can be picked up at any time and stopped at any time, but there are still goals to work through. I personally liked the LEGO Indiana Jones and LEGO Star Wars games. We have several (for both Wii and PS4).

There are a few racing games, but none come to mind that are quite like Mario Kart.

Your kids might enjoy Battle Crashers. It features a lot of Cartoon Network characters and is a game similar to old NES games. It's a side-scroller, but some of the complaints are that it isn't "up to snuff" as a PS4 game. More like a flash game you'd play on your desktop.

To be honest, I have a lot of fun kid-friendly games, but the PS4 is really big on super intensive action/adventure or sandbox games like Skyrim, Final Fantasy, Far Cry, etc (which we also have, but I wouldn't consider friendly for an 11 year old). And most of those are rated M.

And of course, there's always Minecraft. I do like that I can pick it up at any time and build or do stuff as I please and leave it for ages before coming back to it.

There is also an Angry Birds game (as well as Star Wars themed one) that you can purchase or (and these two are my favorite) Galaga DX and Pac-Man DX. They have to be purchased from the Playstation store though as I don't think they were ever put on disc.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Grand theft auto, teach them early.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

If only you knew the can of worms that's already spilled all over my house...

@CanesGalactica - good suggestions! I'll bet our boys will be into the lego stuff - and I know ALL of them will want Minecraft. Battle Crashers sounds familiar - might we have that on Wii? I don't even know what all is up in that cabinet, tbh.

I think the more "mature" game choices is the primary drive to get the PS4 to replace the Wii. It wasn't my preference, but there has been waning interest in the Wii.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Just remember, there's different reasons for M ratings.

It comes down to having to be a more disciplined discerning consumer/user/customer.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Interesting side note: no video game will make a child violent.
  • _pi3_
    Options

Lol I remember playing VC when I was 11
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

If only you knew the can of worms that's already spilled all over my house...

@CanesGalactica - good suggestions! I'll bet our boys will be into the lego stuff - and I know ALL of them will want Minecraft. Battle Crashers sounds familiar - might we have that on Wii? I don't even know what all is up in that cabinet, tbh.

I think the more "mature" game choices is the primary drive to get the PS4 to replace the Wii. It wasn't my preference, but there has been waning interest in the Wii.

14 year old will probably want GTA V

Give them good mems to look back on

There's sports games too though of course. I didn't think of that depending what they're into

I get wrestling games
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    call of duty

^^ This. World at War
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Just remember, there's different reasons for M ratings.

It comes down to having to be a more disciplined discerning consumer/user/customer.

This is a great point. Most of the "M" games we have are more based on language or possible sexual content rather than straight out violence.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why does getting a PS4 mean you need to get rid of your wii
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of buying some games and picking the wrong ones, maybe give them both a home made voucher for 1 game each and take them shopping and let them pick
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We have 3 PS4's in my house...husband, 16 year old son and 10 year old daughter, the kids ones where saved up for with pocket money and birthday money etc. There are a range of games for all maturity levels which is fine in theory. BUT bear in mind if the older one wants a particular game that all his/her friends are playing (most of which will be adult rated, swearing and sexual suggestion) it will be very hard to stop the younger ones wanting to play or even watch the game play.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like our PS4 but aside from Lego games, Disney infinity, Skylanders, and a couple more, the games are really not that kid friendly.

My favorite game is Overcooked, but the kids get frustrated pretty fast (it's a cooperation game, and you need 4 controllers for it to be really fun). And yeah, Minecraft, that they play with their friends.

Not necessarily a bad choice though as your kids are getting older, but I would personally have waited a couple more years if you're going to actually replace your wii (versus keeping both).
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    my kids are destiny fans. Don't blame me, they get it from their father.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    tlc12078 wrote: »
    my kids are destiny fans. Don't blame me, they get it from their father.

Destiny fans!!! My lot haven't spoken to me for a week, too busy talking to each other on the headsets playing the Destiny 2 beta :s

• xomariahxD
    xomariahxD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Little Big Planet is pretty fun, we had it for ps3 and I assume like the ps3 the ps4 version is 2 player co-op as as well :)
  • xomariahxD
    xomariahxD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh! :D Also, Ratchet and Clank! I used to love those games when I was a kid. There's one for the ps4 now ^~^
  • _pi3_
    Options
    The new Crash Bandicoot is friendly too