Skipping periods and weeks of cramping?

Options
Shortieweightloss
Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm wondering if anyone knows if what I'm describing can be caused by my diet and exercise changes. I have an obgyn appointment scheduled, but the soonest they can see me is in 2 weeks, and in the meantime, I'm getting almost nonstop cramping and am constantly worried.

I started working on losing weight around mid-May. For the first 6 weeks, I was just eating 1200 calories per day, and then I added in 3 to 4 run/walks per week. Note that I'm 5'0" and female, so this is hardly anything drastic.

My last period started on June 1st, and I haven't gotten one since. However, for the past 3 or 4 weeks now, I've been getting nonstop cramping and sore boobs to where I always feel like I'm either about to start my period or am on it. I've even dreamt a few times that I had just started my period and was trying to find a bathroom, yet when I woke up, I still had no flow.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I know skipping periods can be normal with diet and exercise changes. What has me worried is the nonstop cramping. I don't know if it's safe to continue working out while I wait to see my doctor. I've been doing it since it actually makes the cramping stop for a while, but in the back of my head is always, "Is it safe to be doing this?"

Edit: Can't believe I left this bit out. There isn't any chance of pregnancy. Not unless humans have developed a new method of impregnantion.

Replies

• Shortieweightloss
    Options
    Have you taken a pregnancy test?

Crap, forgot to mention that there's absolutely no chance of pregnancy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will harm yourself by exercising a reasonable amount despite the cramping. This seems like a classic symptom of undereating and overexercising. You also could call your doctor back and tell them what you told us about the cramping. Ask what you should do in the meantime until your appointment.
  • monica_delarosa
    monica_delarosa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Raspberry leaf tea is good for healing the uterus. You may also want to try a whole foods plant based diet while healing. It has helped me with my periods which where getting closer together.
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar situation the past couple of months. I thought I had completely skipped my last period, but it turns out my trust 28 day cycle had stretched out to 45 days. I got some cramping when I was supposed to start my period, and felt like I had started when I hadn't. I hoping it goes back to normal once I'm done losing weight and get into maintenance.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you are in a lot of pain, consider going to urgent care or calling your doc and asking them to squeeze you in. Maybe they can check hormone levels? Do you have PCOS?

Didn't see your age but is it possible you're hitting early onset or the onset of menopause?

I've found my time of the month has been better with weight loss and more consistent. Everyone is definitely different though.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Are you very skinny now? When I was 16 i had anorexia not even knowing as i was young and looks mattered more but im naturally a curvy pear. Anyway, at 150-160 right in the middle of my healthy bmi (tall) i stopped my periods for 3 months and lost hair and a bunch of things. My doctor told me to gain weight. So maybe this is it if you're getting quite skinny. But if not, im not sure, maybe abscess on your overy?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight?
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    I'm not skinny. I weigh 137 lbs, so I'm still 9 lbs overweight. I'm 28 years old, so perimenopause is unlikely but I suppose not impossible.
  • noirelb
    Options
    Is premenopause possible at such a young age??
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    Not sure if it's related, but I just had to stop a workout because I was feeling really nauseous, short of breath, and like...sleepy? I know that sounds weird, but I felt like I could fall down and go to sleep at any second, which scared me because I had walked over a mile away from home at that point. So now I'm more freaked out that something is really wrong with me, and of course it's a Friday evening and I won't be able to call the doctor until Monday. I also don't have a primary care doctor b/c of an insurance situation, argh.

I'm so frustrated. My body freaks out on me every time I try to do the simplest things that normal people have no problem with, and it makes me afraid to try to make any positive life changes at all.
  • noirelb
    Options
    Have you had a blood test for iron?? Anemia?
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    Have you had a blood test for iron?? Anemia?

Yeah, I had everything when I went to urgent care a few weeks ago...from a series of near-fainting episodes that doctors told me were just anxiety.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Thyroid? If you didn't have a thyroid panel when you had your bloodwork a few weeks ago, do get one. But also push until you get answers.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Thyroid? If you didn't have a thyroid panel when you had your bloodwork a few weeks ago, do get one. But also push until you get answers.

Yeah, I had that too. I had comprehensive bloodwork at a doctor's appointment in May, too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was going to say: If you see a head pop out, go to the ER. Then I got to the edit. 1200 is fairly low, particularly with exercise and not eating any of it back. One of the reasons is that it is difficult to get appropriate nutrition (fats, proteins, fibre, vitamins, and minerals). Have you looked at where each of these have been averaging? Have you had your blood pressure checked? PCOS?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • noirelb
    Options
    I woukd definitely srop working out. Your symptoms all lead to lack of oxygen... Are you on any contraceptive?
  • noirelb
    Options
    Do you know people in your family with endometriosis?
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    Yeah, I had my blood pressure checked and also have been checking myself. It's usually around 108/78, which is fine as far as I know. I'm going to ask the doctor about PCOS when I go to my appointment in 2 weeks, although I had an ultrasound to check for cysts a couple of years ago and was told everything looked fine, so I'm sure he'll say there's no reason to think I have PCOS. No known family history of endometriosis and no contraceptive. I've been taking a multivitamin as well as fish oil to supplement my diet, and my macros aren't perfect but are reasonable I think. I'm not like eating all carbs or anything.

It's okay; I don't expect you all to figure this out for me haha.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Options
    One thing I'm worried about but can't really do much about b/c the doctors don't listen to me is heart problems, although I don't know why those would impact my cycle. I've had two doctors over the past 3 years tell me I had abnormal heart rhythms, but then when I get sent to a cardiologist, they tell me my stress test, EKG, etc look fine and there's no reason to worry or restrict my life in any way (I've asked about roller coasters and been told go ahead, ride all you want. You're normal.)