Binge eating

Options
I feel controlled by food. Last year I managed to lose 80 pounds by only eating 1200 calories a day, but I gained 30 of those pounds back because I seriously cannot stop eating. Most of the days of the week I eat about 3000 calories in one sitting, and then I just keep eating and I tell myself that I can eat less tomorrow, so to just eat everything today. Does anyone go through the same thing? I need advice on how to stop. I haven't been counting what I eat because I think it's just a vicious cycle. I've been lifting really heavy, so some of the weight is muscle, but honestly I just feel disgusted at my appearance.

Replies

• Daylitor
    Daylitor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think we've all been there with eating, I know I have. It's easy to fall into the cycle of eating too much every few days...I got out of it by truly holding myself accountable for every bite I took and sticking to a strict schedule I was dedicated to follow...and when I got the resultsni wanted, I just kept doing what got me to each milestone and refused to turn back. I'm sure in time you'll get to where you want to be, good luck to you!
  • jenhhere
    jenhhere Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agree. I have finally said this time that I may be a person who doesn't have enough control to go "off diet." I've done the reduced calorie thing 4x over the last five years and gain it all back when I stop logging or caring. For me, staying "on" just means logging EVERYTHING into MFP. Even if it's a bad day. Just to know that I have to keep going, that's enough. Here if you want to add as a friend.
  • RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Read and focus on good healthy advice . When you open the frig let the messages or conversations echo in your head of what you have been putting in that mind of yours. When you have that cravings, change your mind set and go do something active, if you have to run up and down the stairs ten times, do it. Think positive, get healthy, or do as I'm doing and answer some of these messages. You know the answers. You are worth it! It's TIME TO STOP!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm no professional but its my understanding that excessive weight loss can trigger binge eating disorders in some people. Doesn't happen to everyone. For whatever reason some people may be more susceptible to BED based upon many factors.
  • ceejayrush
    ceejayrush Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I stress eat. This is my biggest challenge. Hold on we are going to win.
  • netstar45
    netstar45 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I suffer from similar issues. I find sometimes it could be just poor nutrition and lacking proper nutrients. I force myself to eat salads and other nutrient dense food and my bingeing drops considerably.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've pin pointed my binge eating episodes to a couple of things (triggers). Feeling deprived is a big one, self-sabotage, boredom/feeling alone, and once I feel like I screw up I almost always fall into the trap of "Well you already screwed up, might as well ..." I find it hard to not feel deprived because A. I don't trust myself to have the tasty food in the house to begin with. B. I then think about tasty foods x,y,z when I'm bored, alone, lonely, etc. But once I go buy tasty foods x,y,z, I eat it all, too much, at one time. Lather, rinse, repeat cycle. I went almost 5 months binge free and recently 'fell off the wagon' and the binges would last 2-3 days, then back on track for a week or two then another 2-3 day binge, then back on track. It's been a week now, no binges, but I've thought about wanting to binge when those trigger moments hit (stress, lonely, boredom, deprivation, etc.) I've seen a therapist (off and on) and we've discussed these issues. I'm also on various medications for mental health problems. I really feel like I have a lot working against me most of the time and I get frustrated with it all.

I've never felt good about the out of control eating, the binges never solved my problems, you'd think that would be enough to 'just stop' but I've been battling BED/EDNOS for oh, last 4-5 years or so. Sometimes it's worse than others, other times I manage ok, getting by for long streaks of time.

I really have no advice. I've tried the staying busy, I've tried not having x,y,z in the house, I've tried just counting calories, log the binges, don't long the binges, eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, blah blah blah. I guess just hang in there. One thing I can offer, and as hard as it is, even doing this for myself but try not to beat yourself up too hard about it. I know that makes it much easier (for me) to fall into a bad cycle. All I can try to do is just doing better the next day. Good luck.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same issue. But it got significantly better when I went from 1200 to 1700. That's still about .5 to 1lb a week loss for me, when I stick to it. There is no need to white knuckle it at 1200. Period. I still have a binge day now and then, but am headed in the right direction over time.
    4545868 Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I swear on my best days sabotage kicks in. Like part of me doesn't want to get it under control. Maybe four decades of out of control eating is just so familiar, I don't want to let it go? Like, I won't know who I am if I say goodbye to this part of me? My mind knows I can't stay at this weight and end on a good note. There are days when being in control is such a relief. Then there are days I get scared, maybe fear of failure (?), and to put an end to the fear, I just go and do something that blows the day. Ach, why can't I just get out of my own way?
  • limittoyourlove
    limittoyourlove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me it's stress and boredom related. My mum binged around me growing up & rewarded me with food, so the problem runs deep.It's great that you weight lift! Are you getting good quality, and enough, protein? Your body will crave it afterward.

I try to avoid my triggers as much as possible, such as peanut butter, nuts and chocolate because I know I simply cannot portion them out like a normal person can. If I want those things I have to keep them at the office so they aren't on my mind all the time, or buy single serves.

I've been reading about 'digestive rest' ie the digestive system needs a fair amount of downtime to fully digest meals and recover- which is motivating me to stop eating after I've had dinner, not eat until I'm uncomfortably full, and not eat until breakfast the next day, because I know it's good for my system and will prevent future health problems, helps me sleep better and I enjoy food more if I wait at least 6-8 hours between meals.

I've been having some toothaches lately and try to keep my teeth as clean as possible to try and naturally remineralise my teeth. Another reason to stop eating after dinner.

Getting into the habit of having a normal portion size e.g. I'm used to measuring out my 45 grams of porridge for breakfast, and I use 100 grams cooked chicken in my work lunches, sure it was difficult adjusting to in the beginning and I felt like I was missing out, but I've adjusted to it so much now that I can't imagine having any more than that.

I take a multivitamin as well on the chance that I'm missing some kind of micronutrient that's causing me to binge (who knows? It can't hurt).

Also, I have a savings goal. Therefore, I literally can't afford to binge on the food in my fridge or buy lunches every day when I'm at work.

I'm always reminding myself when "Well, if I go back for seconds now, it's basically wasted food. I'll feel guilty and uncomfortably full afterwards and I wont have any left for tomorrow, I'll have to cook again and that takes too much time. I'll enjoy it more tomorrow. Better just wait 15 minutes and see how I feel, I'll save money and I already put in the hard work of cooking all this food and I should really only eat it if I'm truly hungry" etc. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • curvylicious369
    curvylicious369 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible binge eater. I lost about 90 pounds but have gained 15 back and still have like 60 pounds to reach my goal. I hate myself for my weakness. I think I mostly eat out of boredom or loneliness, but sometimes stress is a factor. Once I do binge, it can take me a week or two to get back on track again. I wanna punch myself in the face.
  • Hottamoli
    Hottamoli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is me in a nutshell right now. Oh I eat and then overeat and then convince myself I'll start clean tomorrow but tomorrow's clean eating never comes and I'm left feeling unsuccessful and defeated.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. A couple thoughts:

1. 1200 calories is so low. I don't think people are meant to live on that for a long time. For many people, when the calorie goal is too low, binging results. Better to set a higher, more reasonable goal.

2. Get bingey foods out of the house. I personally can't regulate sugary "healthy" foods, like protein bars, Chobani Flips or Fiber One brownies. I binge on them. So I don't buy them, or I buy ONE when I want one.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I could have written this myself. Guilt has me reading post MFP this morning. I had Pop Tarts for breakfast. I'm bored watching TV alone; both my boys are at work and my husband is sleeping(works nights). Guess who just ate a bagel and cream cheese, not even hungry.

I've put back on 25 of the 70 pounds I had lost. Depression is clearly an issue as well. I'm 8 weeks post op from shoulder surgery. No sports of any kind for a full year. Just got cleared to walk 1-2 mikes a day. Not sure when the DR will let me start running again.

I get your struggles. It real. I've over come it before but this time I'm my own worst enemy