Lose the fat then gain muscle? Right or wrong?

Options
Hey guys, so im on ketosis and im losing the weight but my goal is to have muscle, so what i want to do is i want to first lose the fat and when im don with that i would like to start working to gain the muscle, is this a recommended way to do it or not?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Wrong.
    Muscle takes far longer to build (rebuild) than people imagine.
  • sijomial
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    Actually mixing weights with circuit and cardio help burn fat even after you stop working out.

@TNoire
    The numbers are so small as to be insignificant. Better to concentrate on an effective workout than compromise it by chasing an irrelevant "bonus".
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Actually mixing weights with circuit and cardio help burn fat even after you stop working out.

@TNoire
    The numbers are so small as to be insignificant. Better to concentrate on an effective workout than compromise it by chasing an irrelevant "bonus".

@sijomial
    Why do you call it "irrelevant bonus"? My understanding is that if you are heavier you have more muscle to carry that weight around. You do say "Muscle takes far longer to build (rebuild) than people imagine". Wouldn't it then be best to try to lose as little of it as we are slimming down? I am geniunely curious.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to lose fat first, but that doesn't mean you can't work on gaining muscle as you lose the fat.

So start lifting while you cut down, as a beginner you should be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Wrong.
    Muscle takes far longer to build (rebuild) than people imagine.

Would agree with this. Years ago I stupidly lose a lot of weight and spent years trying to put muscle on to no avail. It was only when I came on here and started with a PT that I started to put the muscle on but that took a while and a lot of eating.
  • sijomial
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »

@TNoire

@sijomial
    Why do you call it "irrelevant bonus"? My understanding is that if you are heavier you have more muscle to carry that weight around. You do say "Muscle takes far longer to build (rebuild) than people imagine". Wouldn't it then be best to try to lose as little of it as we are slimming down? I am geniunely curious.

@joinn68
    Because the goal of a workout isn't to earn a minuscule number of calories from EPOC.

Do circuit training if that progresses you towards your fitness, strength endurance, or sporting goals.
    Do strength training if that helps you towards your strength/musculature goals.
    Do cardio to progress towards your fitness goals.

Compromising your workout to earn maybe a couple of dozen extra calories make no sense. Also bear in mind all exercise has a varying degree of EPOC anyway.

Yes we agree - we should lose as little muscle as possible or even build a small amount whilst losing fat. That's why my first post in response to the title "Lose the fat then gain muscle? Right or wrong?" was Wrong.

The worst case from starting now instead of waiting is that you end up building a base of strength and technique whilst preserving the maximum amount of precious muscle.
    Best case is that someone might actually cut down to a body they like!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Wrong - lose fat and preserve as much muscle as you can; then when you get body fat low enough, bulk..
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Wrong - lose fat and preserve as much muscle as you can; then when you get body fat low enough, bulk..

+1 Some responses seem to imply the question was lose fat vs strength train by talking about losing muscle on the way down. You should be strength training all the time. The only question then is are in a deficit or a surplus. My understanding is that when at a surplus, all other things being equal, more of the gain will be muscle when you body fat is lower. This is why you should lose first.
  • Abrahamsarah1
    Abrahamsarah1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks so much for the feedback! So im not seriously overweight, i am extremely athletic and i already have a somewhat decent amount of muscle because im a competitive muay thai fighter, i just never really did too much weight lifting, all of the muscle i have today is from the muay thai training and bodyweight exercises that we do. The past few years i have gained 6 extra kilo because i have hypothyroidism and only now with the help of keto im able to shed off the extra weight.
    Ive just never really been toned and and never had the body similar to the other fighters, that is my goal!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial and heybales pretty much said all that I would have and more. It is so much harder to build muscle, especially for a woman without the benefit of lots of testosterone. Keep what you have while losing fat!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »

@TNoire

@sijomial

I'm sure you've noticed sijomial was referring to the EPOC comment specifically - but for others and the poster of the comment that got the comment:

https://www.onnit.com/academy/boost-epoc-burn-calories-youre-done-working/

"While boosting post-workout calorie burn is certainly beneficial, it’s not the be-all, end-all of workout goals. Even if you maximize your post-workout burn, you’re still only looking at an additional calorie burn of about 6-15% of your during-workout burn. In other words, if your workout burned about 400 calories, EPOC would only account for an additional calorie burn of about 24 to 60 calories. Finally, because human bodies are so freakin’ efficient, the more fit you become, the less significant EPOC becomes."

vs resistance training extra calorie burn from repair:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862249/

"There was a significant (P<0.05) increase in 24-hr EE in the RT (527 ± 220kJ/d) and C (270 ± 168kJ/d) groups, however, the difference between groups was not significant (P=0.30). Twenty-four hour fat oxidation (g/day) was not altered after RT, however; reductions in RQ assessed during both rest (P<0.05) and sleep (P<0.05) suggested increased fat oxidation in RT compared with C during these periods. SMR (8.4±8.6%) and RMR (7.4±8.7%) increased significantly in RT (P<0.001) but not in C, resulting in significant (P<0.001) between group differences for SMR with a trend for significant (P=0.07) between group differences for RMR."
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Dieting... ie.. calorie reduction... losing fat...losing weight... just like you can't spot reduce, your body is indiscriminate about where the weight comes from.. so... you can lose fat... but you will also lose muscle mass if you are not feeding yourself an appropriate level of calories. Forget weight and focus on body composition... body fat vs. Lean muscle mass... consider Dwayne Johnson... no one will ever consider him fat... but he consumes in excess of 5000 calories/ day to maintain his muscle mass... of course genetics and hard work play a part... but if you strength train...on a regular and consistent basis while properly fuelling your body... your body fat % will decline and your muscle mass will increase... most folks are spot on... you will lose weight by reducing intake and maintaining your current activity level... but that weight loss will be a combination of fat and muscle... strength train and eat healthy and you may not lose weight but you will be leaner, stronger, have more energy and be happier with your efforts sooner
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks so much for the feedback! So im not seriously overweight, i am extremely athletic and i already have a somewhat decent amount of muscle because im a competitive muay thai fighter, i just never really did too much weight lifting, all of the muscle i have today is from the muay thai training and bodyweight exercises that we do. The past few years i have gained 6 extra kilo because i have hypothyroidism and only now with the help of keto im able to shed off the extra weight.
    Ive just never really been toned and and never had the body similar to the other fighters, that is my goal!

in that case maybe shoot for a small deficit - 250 calories a day - which would give you half pound per week loss and keep doing your muay thai training?
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@joinn68

The worst case from starting now instead of waiting is that you end up building a base of strength and technique whilst preserving the maximum amount of precious muscle.
    Best case is that someone might actually cut down to a body they like!

Thanks for clarifying. Yes that's what I was asking: Preserve muscle. Great!
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Personally I think people overstate muscle loss during a cut. It goes hand in hand with people underestimating how much bodyfat they need to lose to achieve a six pack.

If any real muscle is actually lost during a cut, then muscle memory will see it gained very quickly as soon as you start eating at maintenance.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Personally I think people overstate muscle loss during a cut. It goes hand in hand with people underestimating how much bodyfat they need to lose to achieve a six pack.

If any real muscle is actually lost during a cut, then muscle memory will see it gained very quickly as soon as you start eating at maintenance.

Then consider me an overstated. I did not lift at all during 9 months of losing 60 lbs and lost way too much LBM. I wish I had lifted and lost slower.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a huge favor, in the end you will be glad you did.
    Lift heavy now, while cutting calories.
    At least 3x per week.
    If you are a complete newb to lifting then start with full body lifting program.
    Something like StrongLifts 5x5