need to gain height and weight.

Options
I'm an 18 year old guy, 5'6 , 103 pounds, I'm really shocked cuz my weight has been pretty much the same for past 3 years, I love eating. I've joined a nearby gym and have started with 10kg dumbbells, can I still gain some height? And why am I not gaining weight? I've heard that lifting weights can cause your height to stop increasing, is that true? Pls help asap, thank you.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Height-wise, you're probably done. Weight-wise, are you eating in a calorie surplus?
  • ineedtogain1011
    ineedtogain1011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No I never actually took note of it, I've started using this app for that reason , but doesn't an almost constant weight for three years sound akward?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You can still gain height. I knew a guy that gained 4-5 inches in 6 months when he was 18. How tall are your relatives?
  • ineedtogain1011
    Options
    Dad- 5'10, mom- 5'4, maternal uncle's, (5'11, 6'1, 6,2). Paternal uncle's are both 5'11.
  • ineedtogain1011
    Options
    And the guy u mentioned, did he specifically do anything ?
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nothing you can do to influence height, but I went from 5'10" at the end of high school to 6'3" 18 months later... Not everyone has the same growth curve.
  • ineedtogain1011
    Options
    Ok, so should I keep gyming? I mean if there are still a few inches can gain, will it be affected by gyming ?
  • ineedtogain1011
    Options
    I can gain*
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I couldn't find one particular source I felt confident citing, but everything I could find said it's just a myth that weightlifting can stunt your growth. I'm no expert, but I'd say eat more and lift weights :)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Never noticed basketball players in high school skipping the gym.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »
    Never noticed basketball players in high school skipping the gym.

True. And most NFL players (obviously not all, but most) - who obviously have lifted several weights - are well over 6' tall.
  • ineedtogain1011
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys your comments were all very helpful :smiley:
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I couldn't find one particular source I felt confident citing, but everything I could find said it's just a myth that weightlifting can stunt your growth. I'm no expert, but I'd say eat more and lift weights :)

I'm with Kimny on this one.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Dad- 5'10, mom- 5'4, maternal uncle's, (5'11, 6'1, 6,2). Paternal uncle's are both 5'11.

My parents were actually a bit shorter than yours. The maternal uncle was 6'1". I'm 6'2". I was always tall for my age growing up though. But as I mentioned above, have friends that sprouted up late.

Here is an article on the stunting growth question from the people at the American College of Sports Medicine, probably a decent source:

http://www.acsm.org/public-information/articles/2016/10/07/youth-strength-training-facts-and-fallacies

Quote from the article:

Myth: Strength training will stunt the growth of children.
    Fact: There is no current evidence to indicate a decrease in stature in children who regularly strength train in a supervised environment with qualified instruction. In all likelihood, participation in weight-bearing physical activities (including strength training) will have a favorable influence on growth at any stage of development but will not affect a child’s genetic height potential.