Weight Loss Grant - Canada

Options
TorStar80
TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
I heard an ad today on a Canadian Radio station about a Weight Loss Grant program. Any Canadians know about this or have participated in it?

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    No but I am very interested. Let me know if you find out anything
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @CoffeeAndContour according to the website it is not a government grant

www.weightlossgrants.org/about-us

"About the Weight Loss Grant Program

The Weight Loss Grant Program is operated by the Oral Aesthetic Advocacy Group Inc, (OAAG) a research, information and funding organization founded in 2010 by health care practitioners and industry professionals.

The OAAG began by providing cosmetic dentistry grants (www.cdgo.org) to people across North America that wanted to improve their smile and overall oral health. OAAG has since provided thousands of dollars in grants to hundreds of applicants.

The fundamental mandate for OAAG's Weight Loss Grant Program is founded in the belief that obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally, with at least 2.8 million people dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese.

Governments, international partners, civil society, non governmental organizations and the private sector all have vital roles to play in contributing to obesity prevention.

OAAG's response to the local obesity epidemic is to provide financial incentives to weightloss participants by offering to subsidize the cost of their Weight Loss programs. 

Up to $3 Million in funding subsidies is allocated each year to help people lose weight and take control of their overall health.

The Weight Loss Grant program is sponsored by OAAG as well as members of the weight loss community throughout North America.

Participating sponsors pay a sponsor fee and/or provide free consultations to applicants seeking to lose weight and gain control of their health.

It is only through this channel that we are able to issue grants, promote advocacy programs, run media campaigns and sustain the program itself.

Additionally, we create and support programs that foster a positive relationship between weight loss companies and health care practitioners in their local communities."

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Very strange

"The Weight Loss Grant Program is operated by the Oral Aesthetic Advocacy Group Inc, (OAAG) a research, information and funding organization founded in 2010 by health care practitioners and industry professionals."
    http://www.weightlossgrants.org/about-us
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Canada sure is funny.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Very strange

"The Weight Loss Grant Program is operated by the Oral Aesthetic Advocacy Group Inc, (OAAG) a research, information and funding organization founded in 2010 by health care practitioners and industry professionals."
    http://www.weightlossgrants.org/about-us

It is
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I just applied. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. From what I can see, it's less "Here's free money if you lose" and more "Don't let the cost of WW, seeing an RD, etc be your excuse. If you feel you can't afford the tools that can help you, we can assist."

That being said, MFP being free? I doubt I'll get anything. BUT I've been thinking that a few sessions with an RD can't hurt, especially as I get closer to goal and ready to transition to maintenance. If there's an opportunity for me to get funding for that, then why not?
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    I just applied. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. From what I can see, it's less "Here's free money if you lose" and more "Don't let the cost of WW, seeing an RD, etc be your excuse. If you feel you can't afford the tools that can help you, we can assist."

That being said, MFP being free? I doubt I'll get anything. BUT I've been thinking that a few sessions with an RD can't hurt, especially as I get closer to goal and ready to transition to maintenance. If there's an opportunity for me to get funding for that, then why not?

Let us know what happens!
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    I will!
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Canada sure is funny.

Agree...off topic but, the rumour of "maple smelling money" and now we have glow in the dark $2
  • TorStar80
    Options

That's what I understood as well. I was a bit disappointed lol, the grant should pay for all these vegetables and lean protein ;) anyway good luck getting something...

• estherdragonbat
    Options
    Just got an email this morning asking me to call their help desk to complete the app. Will do shortly.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Okay. They reimburse 80% of your costs up to $1,800 for weight-loss program fees, including WW, stuff like the Bernstein clinic, accredited weight-loss clinics (including RD consultations) etc. They're referring me to an RD; first consultation is free. No commitment up-front.

We shall see. It does state that the grant "is conditional upon full compliance with the terms and conditions of this program," which could mean that if I dislike the diet plan provided for me and keep doing what I'm doing, it could be a problem. But I've got an appointment on August 14th.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Canada sure is funny.

We have the best comedians. Like Michael J Fox
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here within New Jersey, Unites States; we've a grocery store chain: ShopRite & some of their locations, offer free consultations; with an in house Registered Dietitian! Possibly elsewhere, might offer the same opportunities; to save both you & any grant programs money, to potentially help others!
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • TorStar80
    Options
    Yes, thank you for the update.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no clinic, I agree. I know a few on it. nothing special.nothing to get excited about.
  • babscan73
    babscan73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great feedback on this - thanks!!!