1000 Day Consecutive Logging Streak and 204 Pounds Lost at 55! I have my health and life back!

Options
staffordshire62
staffordshire62 Posts: 28 Member
edited July 2017 in Success Stories
stxvdhyid12a.jpg
jszzhrc3e0vp.jpg
vyodglh4mvxm.jpg
9au97o0b5jt4.jpg
cqze1aktnj3f.jpg
7npq322emzom.jpeg
ba6riryuvyzk.jpg
qt05g3txmjwr.jpg
Hello to all My Fitness Pal users!

I'm a 54 year old man who has had some tremendous health problems in the past from years of abuse due to poor diet and an overall destructive lifestyle which included terrible nutrition combined morbid obesity. Two and a half years ago , I was on 9 different medications with multiple health issues including depression, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes and I weighed 402 POUNDS at 5 foot 7.

Within the past two and a half years I have managed to turn my health and life around, and now I am in better shape and stronger than I was in my 20s weighing in at 196 lbs.

Currently, I am off all medications (which makes my doctor very happy!) and was able to successfully reverse my type 2 diabetes which I was at the threshold of during my last doctor's appointment when I weighed 402 pounds.

Results from my last physical showed my resting pulse rate is 52, A1C is 5.1, and cholesterol and blood pressure readings are amazing!

Through a combination of good quality clean eating and a wide variety of cardio exercise as well as weight training and swimming....... I have found the key to a better lifestyle with no gimmicks, diets, or pay programs .

I truly believe that the use of the My Fitness Pal app is the single most important tool in my arsenal because of all the high quality information available, the blogs, and especially the friendships I have made with people from around the world with the same goals. I love the fact that it is now run by Under Armour (which is my absolute favorite sports product brand) and I like the "accountability" which I derive from it.

What I have achieved is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but adapting to this type of lifestyle is extremely rewarding, satisfying, and pays off better than anything a person could do for themselves especially at my age. I am a firm believer that an active healthy lifelong lifestyle combining consistency with exercise, and healthy food choices with the addition of food logging through My Fitness Pal is a recipe for success.

For long term results, these habits need to turn into a way of life.. Never say DIET.. It needs to be a healthy lifestyle with moderation and knowledge being the key to healthy food and exercise choices.

The first 2 fat pictures showed me at only around 335 lbs and I maxed out later at 402.

One final thought... don't make too many lofty or aggressive goals at first because you might just set yourself up for failure so take it slow and gradually ease into your new lifestyle. For instance, I used to get out of breath just going from the couch to the refrigerator so I started walking around the block slowly. Each week I tried to go a little further until I was able to walk a mile or two and then I gradually started to jog a little bit. Now, I regularly run 15-20 miles per week and enter many 10k charity runs. I also swim 3 days a week about an hour each session and do lots of cardio and weight training in the gym just to change things up and keep my workouts interesting. I find myself taking the stairs instead of elevators, and parking at the end of a parking lot just to get in some extra steps for the day.

I hope my success will help to motivate some other people who are in the same situation I was more than two-and-a-half years ago. Remember......the human body is amazing and it is possible even in your 50s (or any age) to turn things around and allow yourself to heal naturally by just taking care of your health by healthy eating, gaining knowledge, exercising, and making the right choices. I always remember one thing a friend of mine who used to be very heavy told me and I quote "nothing tastes as good as being thin and healthy feels"

Chris

Replies

• bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congratulations Chris! You definitely got a new lease in life! All your hard work has paid off! Well done
  • rmitcheltree5001
    rmitcheltree5001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Congrats.
  • CraigfromPreston
    CraigfromPreston Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Incredible. Very inspiring story and pictures. Well done
  • Panhandleguy
    Panhandleguy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are so inspiring. I am just starting and am at 54 yrs old and 355 lbs. Thank you for posting.
  • Terilynn78
    Terilynn78 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing story. Great job!
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! What an amazing transformation! Congratulations on the hard work.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!! A job well done
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats what am amazing story. You're a completely different person now. Way to go
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!!!! congratulations.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Amazing journey!
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Totally blown away by your transformation. You are truly an inspiration. I'm 50 and working on losing 70 lbs and am in awe of your accomplishments.
  • Lang_22
    Lang_22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am amazed by your great accomplishments. Your story is definietly an inspiration.
  • julie_a_welch
    julie_a_welch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job. I'm at the beginning of my journey but excited. Would love to hear more on what helped you succeed
  • staffordshire62
    staffordshire62 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • moreclan9
    moreclan9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your improved health!

I've been going to Planet Fitness and have lost 70. I have a lot more to go,and am wondering if I should go to another gym and get the advice of a personal trainer. Or is it too early in my journey to worry about that ? Should I just focus on the weight loss for now?

I've got the weight loss formula figured out (Eat less, move more) and I do lift weights along with cardio, but am wondering if it would benefit me to actually know what I'm doing...LOL Or is there an app/website that could tell me what kind of lifting would benefit me best.

What would you suggest?

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Great job!! What a way to change the lifestyle and the mindset! I really love that you want to help others and don't spout a "secret" to your weight loss and change. Wishing you a long, happy and healthy life!
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration. Well done.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So great! Congrats!!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I hope you are still fishing. Impressive catches!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!