Gains

Options
Hey all! Today is my first day back on this app in a while, I've been going hard at the gym the last two months and now the only thing that's missing is the nutrition factor..ready to build some fit muscle and tone even more:) any recommendations in regards to upping my calorie intake more than I'm use to?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Add in calorie dense foods - Nut butters, Ice cream, Pop tarts, chocolate, oily fish such as mackerel, bacon, avocado, cheeses.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    To get in more calories, don't eat low fat, diet, lean options - go for full fat dairy, fattier cuts of meat etc. Choose more calorie dense foods

Choose starchy vegies over lower carb ones.

Add grains.

Cook in fat, add oil to meals.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Add in calorie dense foods - Nut butters, Ice cream, Pop tarts, chocolate, oily fish such as mackerel, bacon, avocado, cheeses.

This is the key. Rather than eat more, swap out some of your calorie light foods for higher calorie dense foods.
  • kellbell62016
    kellbell62016 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Very helpful :)
  • kellbell62016
    Options
    Another question, how many meals should I eat a day? And how often?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

As many as you like, whenever you like. If you're struggling to eat enough perhaps consider eating more meals than you already do, or at least fit in some more snacks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

1, 74, however many enable you to it your calorie goal and fit in with your daily schedule.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    As someone currently in the process of cutting, I am super jealous of your current state (I miss chocolate). As for how often you should eat, try not to worry about complicating things. In my opinion if you feel hungry and you're staying well hydrated then eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    mndamon wrote: »
    As someone currently in the process of cutting, I am super jealous of your current state (I miss chocolate). As for how often you should eat, try not to worry about complicating things. In my opinion if you feel hungry and you're staying well hydrated then eat.

Cutting =/= not eating chocolate...
  • gunner19er
    gunner19er Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Depends on how active you are. There are programs where you can eat a few big meals a day and get your calories in. Or eat multiple small meals a day. As long as you meet your calories that's what makes the difference. If you burn 2500 calories a day you'll want to eat 1500 to 2000 calories a day to lose weight if you listen to dietary guidelines and doctors
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    mndamon wrote: »

Cutting =/= not eating chocolate...

Allow me to clarify (I miss the amount of chocolate I WANT to eat versus what is responsible).
  • kellbell62016
    Options
    Lol my biggest weakness is Nutella & peanut butter :(
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you trying to gain weight (bulk.. put on mass) or recomp (maintain your weight for body recomposition)? Either way for a woman bulking, you won't need that many more calories... maybe 125-250 extra per day above maintenance, that is like an extra portion or snack.
  • kellbell62016
    Options
    Yeah I'm trying to bulk! It's really hard for me to gain because my metabolism is so fast and my job is so physical. Pretty much need 2680 calories a day to gain 1 lb a week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unless you are underweight and have been recommended by a treatment team, 1 lb a week for a female is a bit on the higher side. Not that you can't do it, but keep in mind the higher surplus the more fat gains. I would aim for 0.5lb per week to keep fat gain and muscle gain more balanced.

If you are having issues getting food in, make sure you log your food on here.. always be prepared - meal and snack plan, set timers if you have to, try not to overdo the high volume and diet foods, add more fat to your foods to increase the cals etc.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lol my biggest weakness is Nutella & peanut butter :(

There's a product called Pb&Me that has a powdered Nutella knock-off that is only 45 calories for about two tbsp. Just putting that out there to fall where it may. :wink: It also has a powdered peanut butter version thats only ingredient is peanuts, also 45 calories per 2 tbsp.

https://www.amazon.ca/PB-Me-Chocolate-Hazelnut-Powdered/dp/B01CD3A9T8
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    iifym.com pretty good for figuring out how much to eat to dial up the bulking slowly, cut, or just maintain.