I need to lose a lot of weight, but I need some help as to where to begin.

Options
I have been overweight all of my life, and more recently obese, morbidly in fact. Is there any tips anyone can give me as to where I can start. I have a gym membership, but unfortunately I rarely have the time, because I am working 15 hours a day 5 days a week. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That's tough with your work hours. I find eat, sleep and exercise all to be key components. Two days a week could you dedicate some to time sleep and the gym. Do you get breaks to walk around the block? Lunch to walk? Little things like parking further away help. Pm me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    exercise is all well and good but for starters I would focus on calorie intake. I call it simple math, if you can create a calorie deficit, you must lose weight. That is where simple ends and hard work / discipline begin. It's not easy like a pill, or sexy, or quick but if consistent it does work.

Edit: Until I started logging I had no idea how badly I was overeating. That was truly my ah ha moment.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Start small. It takes time to learn how to log accurately, but there's a ton of great advice around here on how to get your accuracy up - numero uno is probably buying a digital scale and getting used to weighing everything. I'd also recommend a book called "Smart People Don't Diet" by Charlotte Markey. I personally disagree with her dislike of counting calories longer-term, but the rest of the advice is straightforward, science-based and I found it very encouraging. If you have been gaining weight for a while, maybe make your first goal to figure out your maintenance calories, and then start cutting down from there one week or month at a time. I really, really believe that slow and steady is the way to go. You'll lose faster initially if you jump right on the 1200 calorie bandwagon, but that's a hard adjustment and it's an easy bandwagon to fall off of. Good luck!
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The best place to begin is logging your food. This makes you aware of the calories you are eating. Use the tools in MFP to set a calorie goal for weight loss. I was morbidly obese when I began. Even though it's perfectly fine for morbidly obese folks to set their calories to lose 2 pounds a week, I personally choose a pound a week because I felt it would help me change habits slowly and hopefully in a more sustainable way. For exercise you can start by adding in steps-park at the back of the parking lot, use the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Bodyweight exercises can be done anywhere. Hope that helps! You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • yukaputz
    yukaputz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree with jgnatca. Missed opportunities are all around. I set my fit bit to alarm at the bottom of every hour. I walk around my building twice every hour, as I do I go down a flight, up a flight, around then down, up. Basically looking at my office building as a treadmill/stairclimber combo machine. Takes only 10 minutes and I carry a clipboard and some papers. I plan to add pushups at the start of each flight of stairs. Really, my main goal as I'm rounding 40 years in age is to stave off future mobility issues. I gave up on being sexy as my motivation. I just don't want to be in a mobility scooter at 50.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I was a sedentary obese woman and i lost on 2K/day in the early days. Settle down with the 1400 lol

Same, and I've been losing on 1900-2300 for the last several months now. Yes, you'll see fast results with 1400, but you'll probably be miserable and statistically are highly unlikely to stick with it. That's not to be a bummer or anything, just to point out that rushing is really not the way to go here.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    That said, I do think there's something to be said for trying to cut back on highly processed foods specifically, and people do seem a little quick to jump straight to "it's just calories" when this is suggested. Yes, calories are calories, but generally speaking, these contain lots of salt and sugar, which do cause many people to overeat because our bodies think salt and sugar is amazingly bonkers delicious and we're not great at knowing when to stop when we're eating amazing bonkers delicious things. The example I read on a blog somewhere (probably body for wife) was mangoes vs. something like a TGIF Vanilla Bean Cheesecake - mangoes are really tasty, have maybe 200 calories, and you probably aren't going to want to eat more than one of them in a sitting. The Vanilla Bean Cheesecake is 920 calories and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Toss me a couple of 200 calorie cocktails to wash that baby down, and I bet I could manage it. And I don't even like sweets that much!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    We're just quick to jump to that because, when a person is just starting out, particularly if they are very obese, the process can seem very overwhelming & stressful. Trying to change too many things right off the bat can be discouraging. Live to fight another day.

I am absolutely 100% in favor of slow and steady and keeping things simple at first. I just think that "try and eat less processed food" is sometimes treated in the same category of woo as "never eat gluten." Even early on in a very stressful process, I think people are capable of starting to make changes away from highly processed foods that are extremely easy to overeat.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Hey, no editing while I'm replying! :) I'm 100% with you on your second point, by the way. As you'll see in my comment higher on the thread, I think it's a great idea for people to start off with just learning logging without feeling pressure to cut calories, and to gradually move from there. I spent six months in the "just logging" stage myself and, for me, it's made the reducing stage almost embarrassingly doable.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    We're just quick to jump to that because, when a person is just starting out, particularly if they are very obese, the process can seem very overwhelming & stressful. Trying to change too many things right off the bat can be discouraging. Live to fight another day.

I am absolutely 100% in favor of slow and steady and keeping things simple at first. I just think that "try and eat less processed food" is sometimes treated in the same category of woo as "never eat gluten." Even early on in a very stressful process, I think people are capable of starting to make changes away from highly processed foods that are extremely easy to overeat.

And they probably will do that somewhat naturally as they try to meet their calorie goals and gain awareness. Everyone has that first, "there's HOW many calories in that?" moment, where they suddenly realize they can live without something, or need to have much less of it, and mentally I think it works out better to arrive at the conclusion themselves. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hey, no editing while I'm replying! :) I'm 100% with you on your second point, by the way. As you'll see in my comment higher on the thread, I think it's a great idea for people to start off with just learning logging without feeling pressure to cut calories, and to gradually move from there. I spent six months in the "just logging" stage myself and, for me, it's made the reducing stage almost embarrassingly doable.

I'm never happy with first drafts! ;)

Yes, we're definitely on the same page :)