Any advice for someone who wants to start running?

Boland_D
Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
I've always loved cardio, but have never actually committed to anything.
Recently decided I want to start running and would some advice.
Will cheap running shoes work?
Should I invest in a Garmin or some sort of fitness watch? If so which are the best.
Do I keep running if I feel like I'm dying?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Do some research on correct form, maybe look online for info on "Chi running" and/or "The Pose Method". I believe correct form is key in preventing injuries. I also have to recommend a C25K program app, it will help you progress slowly and gradually. Happy Running!
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Do not go cheap on running shoes. You'll regret it if you do. If you are overweight, look for shoes that are suitable for heavy runners (there is a difference). You may want to go to a running specialty store to have your gait analyzed; you may need shoes that help stabilize over or under pronation.

There are a ton of programs available to get beginners rolling down the road. I personally use Run/Walk/Run, developed by Jeff Galloway, former Olympian. Many other programs, such as Couch to 5K (CT5K) use this to get you started but may eventually ween you off the walk periods to running the entire distance. I personally do not feel this is necessary and, depending on the person's fitness, may not even be advisable.

Galloway's program is available in several distances on iPhone from a company called lulu. I suggest starting with the 5K. You listen to electronic dance music while you're working out that is set to the cadence most appropriate for you. The cadence will slow during your walking segments, then automatically pick-up again for your next run segment. You have complete power over your cadence.

If you are overweight, I would hold off running long distance until you have your weight to the point were your BMI is no longer in the obese range. Many people feel you aren't really running unless you're running the entire distance Not so. Many people find they can actually cover a given distance faster using Run/Walk/Run as opposed to constant running.

BTW, with Run/Walk/Run programs, you should never feel like you're dying. And, if you run to that point, you're training at too high an intensity.

A heart rate monitor is a great tool to measure the intensity of your run. If you can get one that has GPS, that's a plus. I personally have used Garmin GPS/HR monitor watches for the past year and highly recommend them. I personally use a chest strap style HR monitor as I do not feel the wrist-based devices are as accurate, but others may disagree.

Running is great exercise. Don't kill yourself, at least not until you're training for racing. Enjoy it and don't beat your body up.