Working out on an empty stomach?

Options
Hey guys, quick question. Is it alright to workout in the morning on an empty stomach?
I do have equipment sufficient enough so that I workout at home and also the program I'm following (One of the recommended ones) calls only for a pair of Dumbbells to work with & maybe a bench.

One of the reasons is time constraints but the main issue is, I often find it hard to lift weights after consuming my meals. I usually workout in the evening which is after me consuming at least 3 meals (Breakfast, Lunch and and maybe a shake in between & say a Banana before my workout) and find it hard to lift weights as I would still be filling full from all the previous meals. Thus I was wondering if it is advisable to be working out first thing in the morning? Or after breakfast even.
Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You can workout and eat when best suits you - don't overcomplicate things! I don't like eating before training either
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You can workout and eat when best suits you - don't overcomplicate things! I don't like eating before training either

^This. I don't like eating before cardio and I don't like lifting on a completely empty stomach. But that's just how my body responds. If you don't like eating beforehand, then don't.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I workout b4 I eat/drink anything or after whatever I've eaten/drank has been digested and I can't "feel" it in my stomach anymore, which is usually an hr or 2 later, because a full stomach makes me feel bloated sluggish.
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually lift in the mornings and i always make sure to have breakfast an hour before i work out otherwise id have no strength!! But everyone is different so do what feels right for you :-)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

^This. I don't like eating before cardio and I don't like lifting on a completely empty stomach. But that's just how my body responds. If you don't like eating beforehand, then don't.

Count me in this boat. I like cardio fasted and resistance fueled.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. Meal timing does play a role, but it is small. It's probably a good idea to eat a small snack with protein and carbs before you workout, but if you eat too much prior to working out, your workout will be affected negatively because you're stuffed.

If the meal is causing a drop in performance then it's worse than getting your meal timing spot on.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you even think about training on an empty stomach your body will go catabolic and eat ALL of your muscle. Happened to me once and spent the better half of a decade trying to get my gains back. True story...
  • Deadships
    Deadships Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Alright thank you!
  • Deadships
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I workout b4 I eat/drink anything or after whatever I've eaten/drank has been digested and I can't "feel" it in my stomach anymore, which is usually an hr or 2 later, because a full stomach makes me feel bloated sluggish.

Same here man. I mean the whole idea of getting enough energy through your meals/pre-workout supplement etc before your workouts just does not work for me. I feel bloated just like you said, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  • Deadships
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Look at it this way. Meal timing does play a role, but it is small. It's probably a good idea to eat a small snack with protein and carbs before you workout, but if you eat too much prior to working out, your workout will be affected negatively because you're stuffed.

If the meal is causing a drop in performance then it's worse than getting your meal timing spot on.

What would suggest as the simplest form of a Protein Carb snack that won't be heavy on the stomach?
  • Deadships
    Options
    sinead29 wrote: »
    I usually lift in the mornings and i always make sure to have breakfast an hour before i work out otherwise id have no strength!! But everyone is different so do what feels right for you :-)

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I lift in the morning but I can't eat first. I've tried both ways and when I've eaten first, even if the timing is right, I just feel lethargic with no strength or energy. If I go in fasted I am super-hyper focused with a ton of energy. Same with cardio... but everyone is different. A Muay Thai friend of mine shows up for training after eating a giant plate of pasta, she feels great! I would have to take a nap lol!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake first or my blood sugar crashes.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually workout on empty. haven't seen any negative effects.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

THIS! In the end trust how you feel more than others opinions. Your body gives you the truth. As long as you are eating enough in the 24 hour period every day, you won't feel ill. Just listen to your body over time. :)

Every day doesn't have to be the same so don't get stuck in a "rule" about it. Some seasons you might need something to eat first, others not, and it can vary day to day.

• preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Deadships wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question. Is it alright to workout in the morning on an empty stomach?
    I do have equipment sufficient enough so that I workout at home and also the program I'm following (One of the recommended ones) calls only for a pair of Dumbbells to work with & maybe a bench.

One of the reasons is time constraints but the main issue is, I often find it hard to lift weights after consuming my meals. I usually workout in the evening which is after me consuming at least 3 meals (Breakfast, Lunch and and maybe a shake in between & say a Banana before my workout) and find it hard to lift weights as I would still be filling full from all the previous meals. Thus I was wondering if it is advisable to be working out first thing in the morning? Or after breakfast even.
    Thanks!

Are you working out for some kind of competition (bodybuilding, running).
    If the answer is no, then do what works for you. If you can work out on an empty stomach and then eat after then do it.

Some people can't but that's because their bodies are different. Also, it depends on your goals and how far are you willing to go to get there.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before workout. I beat the gym crowd by going at around 6 AM so I go out with a coffee cup in my hand and that is it.
    After workout, I get my breakfast and it suits me well so far as I'm famished after a good workout :)