Reverse dieting

Options
dill_milk
dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
Will you continue to lose fat while reverse dieting? Or will the small caloric increase each week add fat due to your metabolism being adapted to a steep caloric deficit?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had to look up what reverse dieting is. It's bro-science. As in woo. As in take all their claims with a grain of salt.

My metabolism revved up when I got regular exercise. Nothing to do with diet.

If reverse dieting is gradually getting to maintenance calories you will not keep losing fat.
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Will you continue to lose fat while reverse dieting? Or will the small caloric increase each week add fat due to your metabolism being adapted to a steep caloric deficit?

I can tell you by experience that I did lose weight when I ended my cut and then did the reverse diet in order to find my maintenance, but that's because I was still was in a caloric deficit. In fact I was losing weight faster than when I was at my lowest calories intake at 1800 calories, but my guess was because my body had adapted to the 1800 calories (or I was still losing fat, but there were other factors making me not lose weight, like water retention) and when I did a reverse diet in order to find my maintenance, it kind of unblocked things for me which makes me a firm believer that when I go on my next cut, I will most likely incorporate diet breaks (basically taking 2 weeks in between my weight loss phase by staying at maintenance) when I feel things aren't moving for me.

Thank you! My impression was that you would continue to lose weight since you're still under maintenance. Supposedly after you've finished a diet your maintenance level will be a bit higher so part of it is finding that new maintenance level. I'm hoping to lose 4 more pounds so it's good to hear that the weight loss will continue just a bit longer. After 10 weeks I've become fatigued and looking forward to more energy each week to keep me on track with my workouts. Would a refeed be better than a diet break? I heard it has the same effect of breaking a plateau.

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BigNate17 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had to look up what reverse dieting is. It's bro-science. As in woo. As in take all their claims with a grain of salt.

If reverse dieting is gradually getting to maintenance calories you will not keep losing fat.

Lol you should do a little more research because reverse dieting is not bro science...

By implementing a gradual increase of calories every week it is absolutely possible to increase your maintenance calories if done right. Nothing to do with diet? Then how do you explain people that crash diet at extremely low calories and stop losing weight after a while? That's because their maintenance calories have been decreased.

But to answer OP's question, if you have been in a calorie deficit for an extended period of time then I would recommend reverse dieting until you hit your previous maintenance calories and if you are still losing weight then you know that you reverse dieted correctly and can continue to increase calories to find your new maintenance.

This^^^ Reverse dieting 100% is a real protocol that actually works. And he is right on, that is why people put on so much fat after a diet. Your metabolism is not static, it is a dynamic function that you need to consider when bulking, cutting or heading back to maintenance.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »

Lol you should do a little more research because reverse dieting is not bro science...

By implementing a gradual increase of calories every week it is absolutely possible to increase your maintenance calories if done right. Nothing to do with diet? Then how do you explain people that crash diet at extremely low calories and stop losing weight after a while? That's because their maintenance calories have been decreased.

But to answer OP's question, if you have been in a calorie deficit for an extended period of time then I would recommend reverse dieting until you hit your previous maintenance calories and if you are still losing weight then you know that you reverse dieted correctly and can continue to increase calories to find your new maintenance.

This^^^ Reverse dieting 100% is a real protocol that actually works. And he is right on, that is why people put on so much fat after a diet. Your metabolism is not static, it is a dynamic function that you need to consider when bulking, cutting or heading back to maintenance.

Yeap. I cut HARD (RFL protocol), and if I went directly back to my normal maintenance level minus say 250, I put fat back on excessively fast. Going from 1250 kcals per day to 2500 per day in a shot is no bueno. I have to creep it back up over a period of two weeks to avoid problems.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »

Yeap. I cut HARD (RFL protocol), and if I went directly back to my normal maintenance level minus say 250, I put fat back on excessively fast. Going from 1250 kcals per day to 2500 per day in a shot is no bueno. I have to creep it back up over a period of two weeks to avoid problems.

If you gain fat, then you are not on maintenance as you claim. To gain fat, you have to be in a surplus unless I misunderstood what you wrote.

Previous maintenance minus 250 per day is what I said. When you diet hard enough to throw hormones out of whack (I do), when you come back out, your body is all hot and bothered to put the recently lost fat back on.

It's not that I'm suddenly miraculously going to add fat in a deficit or at maintenance, it's that if I overshoot I'm more likely to put fat back on until everything stabilizes. It takes about two weeks, but I tend to approach it a bit more cautiously and ramp it over two weeks, increasing kcals by 200 every four days until moving average weight stabilizes.

No one REALLY knows their maintenance cals to the number, because it's a moving target. So, since I just dropped ten pounds AND threw homeostasis out the window with a rocket attached, I'll need to "maintenance seek" upward in a conservative manner.