So Much Confusion!

Options
Hi All,

I'm 5 foot 4 and currently weigh around 100 pounds. I'm looking to gain back at least 15. My husband and I have me on a 2,400 calorie plan to try to gain back half a pound a week until I get to my goal. It took me half a year to lose 15 pounds, and we're wanting to take it slow in gaining it back (so same amount of time).

I exercise by jogging 2 miles a day and walking 3 miles (which I guess would make me very active?).

We have put the goal of calories at 2,400 because of my activity level, and that is because of what MFP suggests when plugged in. I've been waiting to hear from a dietician, but she has me on a waiting list. I have so many questions for her, but have turned here to see if I can get some of them answered, at the moment. This is sort of an emergency, and I'm not patient.

Some of my questions are:

1. Am I eating the right amount to gain back half a pound a week, based on my activity level?

2. What should my macros be? I've been consuming around 180-200 grams of protein for the past 6 months, yet lost all this weight. Should I focus more on getting carbs and fat?

3. What should I set my macros at exactly? What is considering a safe zone for carbs, fats, and protein for someone with my goals, height, and activity? All these sites dhow different numbers, and I don't know what to believe.

I really appreciate this, guys. Thanks!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Take a vacation from exercising?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Take a vacation from exercising?

Why? Unless the OP is trying to gain just fat for some reason (or the OP has health issues that would contraindicate exercise), taking a break from exercising is the last thing she'd want to do. She should be doing resistance exercise to try to maximize muscle gain.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I remember from an earlier post you said you had to limit fats due to medical reasons?

In any case, you are doing a lot of cardio but eat at 2400 calories for at least 2 weeks and if you are still losing weight then increase the calories slowly.

Did you read the discussions on your earlier post about how the amount of protein you are consuming is unnecessary? If not, I would suggest reading my comment there.

As far as macros go, that's up to you.. but in my personal preference I would suggest getting 0.6-0.8g/lb of protein, enough fats as you can eat due to your medical reason, and fill the rest in with carbs.

I would also suggest taking up a strength building program while you are eating in a calorie surplus if you would like.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my low day (today) is just shy of 2400cal (I maintain on an avg of 2500 a day) - macro breakdown is 140g protein, 84g fat and 280g carbs

that being said - you should look at doing some kind of strength training (i.e. a progressive strength) so that you are gaining lean muscle mass and not just putting on weight
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, you really just have to try it out for a few weeks and see what happens. All anyone or any formula can give you is an estimate to start out at. I'm 5'4" 130lbs but less active than you, and generally I think 2400 sounds like a reasonable place to start. Give it 4 weeks, and if the pace isn't what you want it to be, tweak up or down from there.

Macros are entirely personal preference. I was going to suggest the number for protein and fat that other posters have mentioned. Barring health conditions, most MFP veterans view protein and fat as a goal to be reached or slightly exceeded, and let carbs fall where they may. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi again @journeyrock92!

I don't think you should worry too much about getting your macros spot on. Rather, I'd focus on eating high-quality calorie-dense foods that provide adequate protein, high-quality fat, and complex carbohydrates.

I mean, eating bacon certainly adds a lot of calories, but it is also salty and contains nitrates, so it is a worse choice than, say uncured baked eggs in avocado. Another high-calorie food people eat to gain weight is ice cream. A bit of ice cream is fine, but it is very high in sugar. A better choice would be whole-milk greek yogurt with fruit and granola. I would imagine that a protein smoothie would be easier to digest than other snack choices, but, when possible, why not make your own, rather than use a mix? I have the same advice about breads: buy the best whole grain bread you can find and eat it will butter or dip it in olive oil. Finally, pure dark chocolate, unsalted nuts, and dried fruit makes a great snack.

Gee, this is all making me hungry! Best of luck!

There's nothing wrong with ice cream or bacon if it fits you calories and macros and is part of a healthy balanced diet.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with ice cream or bacon if it fits you calories and macros and is part of a healthy balanced diet.

I totally agree, it's the "healthy balanced diet" part I was addressing. There are certainly good reasons to moderate salt, saturated fats (particularly from animal sources), preservatives (particularly nitrates as are found in bacon and ham), and, to some extent, sugar.

In other words, if gaining, build your body with the best possible foods!

(Yay, food!)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I totally agree, it's the "healthy balanced diet" part I was addressing. There are certainly good reasons to moderate salt, saturated fats (particularly from animal sources), preservatives (particularly nitrates as are found in bacon and ham), and, to some extent, sugar.

(Yay, food!)

Healthy food is good, but many people think they have to keep a 100% clean diet when they are bulking, then they struggle because they are too full and don't come near a surplus. Then they are back, months or even years later in the same place they were before because they have failed to put on weight. I have seen it so many times.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm 5 foot 4 and currently weigh around 100 pounds. I'm looking to gain back at least 15. My husband and I have me on a 2,400 calorie plan to try to gain back half a pound a week until I get to my goal. It took me half a year to lose 15 pounds, and we're wanting to take it slow in gaining it back (so same amount of time).

I exercise by jogging 2 miles a day and walking 3 miles (which I guess would make me very active?).

We have put the goal of calories at 2,400 because of my activity level, and that is because of what MFP suggests when plugged in. I've been waiting to hear from a dietician, but she has me on a waiting list. I have so many questions for her, but have turned here to see if I can get some of them answered, at the moment. This is sort of an emergency, and I'm not patient.

1. Am I eating the right amount to gain back half a pound a week, based on my activity level?

2. What should my macros be? I've been consuming around 180-200 grams of protein for the past 6 months, yet lost all this weight. Should I focus more on getting carbs and fat?

3. What should I set my macros at exactly? What is considering a safe zone for carbs, fats, and protein for someone with my goals, height, and activity? All these sites dhow different numbers, and I don't know what to believe.

MFP eating goals are based on that activity level with NO exercise accounted for.

So no that doesn't make you very active outside of exercise - you have no comments on that.
    You have kids you are easily Lightly-Active if not more.

Now to account for exercise - log it, and eat it back per the program.

So I'm betting because you keep saying 2400 is what MFP suggests that it is NOT correct.

Did you set MFP to gain weight? Or at least see what it says for maintenance, and then making your eating goal 250 higher daily?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You are doing a lot of cardio and no resistance training that I saw. Cutting back on some cardio and adding in some resistance training will help some of that additional weight to be muscle, together with adequate protein intake. You don't mention that but I couldn't imagine that wouldn't be seen as a positive.
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

(Yay, food!)
    heybales wrote: »
    Hi All,

MFP eating goals are based on that activity level with NO exercise accounted for.

So no that doesn't make you very active outside of exercise - you have no comments on that.

So I'm betting because you keep saying 2400 is what MFP suggests that it is NOT correct.

Did you set MFP to gain weight? Or at least see what it says for maintenance, and then making your eating goal 250 higher daily?

I did set the program to help me gain a half a pound a week. That, combined with my current weight and my goal weight and my activity level. It programmed it to be 2,400 calories.
  • heybales
    Options

(Yay, food!)
    Hi All,

I did set the program to help me gain a half a pound a week. That, combined with my current weight and my goal weight and my activity level. It programmed it to be 2,400 calories.

In case you missed the major point.

That's 2400 calories on days where your non-exercise daily activity matches what you selected.

When you exercise - you'll have to eat more to even be at maintenance probably, certainly to be in surplus.

Life lesson there regarding weight.
    You do more - you eat more.
    You do less - you eat less.

In a diet, a tad less in either case, to gain weight a tad more in either case.

Oh - goal weight isn't used in any calculations, neither is your goals for exercise, which are merely used in the exercise Diary page.

You may be thinking like many that the fact you entered in exercise goals has some bearing on eating levels - it does not.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that OP should reduce activity levels in settings and rather log the exercise in daily exercise diary. i think its more accurate that way.

For eg. Even if i do cardio 3x and lifting 3x a week, i keep activity levels 'sedentary' owing to a desk job and little other activity, and log any exercise that I do.

Then set goals to gain .5 pounds a week, follow it and adjust if needed. Use progressive weight lifting routine to add more muscle rather than more fat.

• heybales
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    I would suggest that OP should reduce activity levels in settings and rather log the exercise in daily exercise diary. i think its more accurate that way.

For eg. Even if i do cardio 3x and lifting 3x a week, i keep activity levels 'sedentary' owing to a desk job and little other activity, and log any exercise that I do.

Then set goals to gain .5 pounds a week, follow it and adjust if needed. Use progressive weight lifting routine to add more muscle rather than more fat.

Read the post right above yours regarding the fact on those exercise goals.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »

Read the post right above yours regarding the fact on those exercise goals.

Fair enough. I did like your post. But the point needed reiteration with specifics.

Just yesterday 2 members with 10k+ posts opined that an OP of another post couldnt have maintenance of 2200kcal as he couldnt be 'sedentary' because he lifted weights.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, if Sedentary was selected it could be true since no workouts are expected or accounted for at all, and goal given was 2200, but they lifted too - then estimated maintenance would be more than 2200.

Also - you have to be aware if ones are talking about average weekly TDEE method where exercise is included but is not the MFP method or activity levels.

There comment would be true in that context.

But in this case, I was careful with what OP is discussing - using MFP per it's designed usage.

I should have been specific on your post the only part is the first sentence is confusing for how MFP works but OP thought they were setting it up.
    Strictly speaking it is correct - MFP activity levels don't ramp up fast enough to cover exercise - unless someone purely lucks out that exercise isn't much extra weekly.
  • misnomer1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, if Sedentary was selected it could be true since no workouts are expected or accounted for at all, and goal given was 2200, but they lifted too - then estimated maintenance would be more than 2200.

Also - you have to be aware if ones are talking about average weekly TDEE method where exercise is included but is not the MFP method or activity levels.

There comment would be true in that context.

But in this case, I was careful with what OP is discussing - using MFP per it's designed usage.

I should have been specific on your post the only part is the first sentence is confusing for how MFP works but OP thought they were setting it up.
    Strictly speaking it is correct - MFP activity levels don't ramp up fast enough to cover exercise - unless someone purely lucks out that exercise isn't much extra weekly.

the way MFP is set up, it makes sense to only include those daily activities in the activity level whose calorie burns cannot be specifically counted. eg washing dishes, playing with dogs, kids, climbing stairs, activity at work, et al.
    if one dedicates a given amount of time to cardio or lifting, one can just log it and get a reasonable estimate of calories burnt in the daily log itself.

eg. i have 'sedentary' maintenance of 2200 and 'lightly active' maintenance of 2500. Suppose i do only lifting for an hour 3x a week. Estimated 100-200 kcals burnt 3x a week. That does not warrant me changing setting from 'sedentary' to 'lightly active'. I would be more accurate if I log that in the diary. Also, what if I skip lifting for a week?
    Members who dont understand these settings risk double counting of exercise calories if they also log those exercises. and get unnecessary extra calorie allowance if they for any reason skip exercises.
  • heybales
    Options
    Those reasons are exactly why MFP is really an improvement for the vast majority over other sites - where you put in your hoped for exercise, that perhaps lasts for a few weeks.
    That's where the confusion comes in that you must exercise to lose weight.