HIP DIPS!

Options
I'm looking to fix my hip dips. What's the most effective workouts that actually work. Mainly ones you can do at home. Pictures of progress would be extremely motivational!

I just want bigger hips and butt uuuggghh

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, hip dips are largely genetic. You can build up the gluteus medius and it can maybe help minimize it .. but it won't change your bone structure. Many bikini competitors have very prominent dips, you may not notice because of the way they stand and angles they use.
  • Angelamday3371
    Angelamday3371 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ugh why lol
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I have them too.. but I can stick out my hip in photos and they aren't as noticeable.

Building muscle in the area can help. Mine actually get worse at the end of a bulk, as I lean down they get better.

I would focus on the things you can change, and less on the things you can't.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    As @sardelsa said I think they're mostly genetic. Mine aren't super prominent but just from my experience I actually think they've gotten more noticeable as i've built my glutes up (they were never a concern for me though, obtaining a big round booty was haha)
  • Angelamday3371
    Options
    So it would be easier to just work on my waist?
    1gr2vbz4mj1f.jpg
    Because this is how it looks and it makes me feel uncomfortable
  • sardelsa
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The best thing to do is find a good beginner strength training program that works your whole body. I mean, there are programs with a focus (ex. Strong Curves has focus on the glutes) but they still work the rest of the body too.

Do you know your bodyfat and stats? That will determine your next steps in terms of whether to lean out or maintain etc
  • Angelamday3371
    Options
    No but I assume I can look that up
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras the glute man! May have some helpful articles for you. His whole PHD is on the glutes.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As @sardelsa said I think they're mostly genetic ...

Interestingly, I hadn't heard of hip dips until today. Now that I know what they are, I realized that both me and my wife have them. We both have pretty full/round bottoms and I squat and dead lift like it's going out of style. So despite our shapes, I'd also have to agree with what @sardelsa said ... genetics.

I'd be interested in knowing if there are exercises that target that area. Heck if I'll do any of them, but it would be neat to know.
  • HayleyQuagliano
    HayleyQuagliano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is largley due to genetics, yes. I have them too, and have hated them since I was a child. If you're looking for some exercises however, you should look up a fitness YouTuber, Amy Pollock's. She has a video scientifically explaing what hip dips are, and some exercises to grow the hips. Hope this helps.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Weighted hip thrusts seem to be pretty good at increasing your glute.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You know what's frustrating about hip dips for me?

It wasn't until they became a 'thing' in social media (like the thigh gap) that I even knew what the heck it is...and now I see it in the mirror.

Mind you, I had never once in my life ever noticed it - and now I can't unsee it. It's how my body is shaped, it's how it has always been shaped, but now there is this negative connotation that wasn't there before.

I didn't even notice it, never mind want to 'fix' it, until I was told I needed to.

Ok, I'm done

/rant
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    So it would be easier to just work on my waist?
    1gr2vbz4mj1f.jpg
    Because this is how it looks and it makes me feel uncomfortable

Look, I don't know what hip dips are (I thought they were a triceps exercise similar to regular dips); but I don't really know how you could improve on anything in that photo. I'm sure you have a goal that you are trying to attain, but to my untrained eye you look really fit.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I say go shopping. Different jeans hug you in different spots. Your shape is fine. You're long torsoed (or it looks like it in the photo) and you have to take that into account. I can barely see them, but what you wear can accentuate or hide them.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Now I see the photo, I actually don't see hip dips at all to be honest
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    So I googled Hip Dips to see some pictures and figure out what they were.

Here is my reaction:

Why is this a thing? I'm a red blooded American (and Southern) male and I have never noticed this before. All of you are super beautiful and don't need to focus your training to correct something that doesn't need to be corrected, that can't be corrected, and no normal guy would ever notice.

I've spent three years in the regular army and six years in the reserves/national guard. I've never, ever, in my life heard a man say anything about a "hip dip."

• sardelsa
    Options
    I will also add, you don't want to be doing a bunch of random exercises to correct the hip dips and forget the rest of the body. Honestly, following a program like Strong Curves (which includes a very well rounded focus on all the parts of the glutes), eating at least at maintenance to build muscle can help OR maybe it won't... at the end of the day I don't even care because of how amazing my body has become.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So I googled Hip Dips to see some pictures and figure out what they were.

Here is my reaction:

Why is this a thing? I'm a red blooded American (and Southern) male and I have never noticed this before. All of you are super beautiful and don't need to focus your training to correct something that doesn't need to be corrected, that can't be corrected, and no normal guy would ever notice.

I've spent three years in the regular army and six years in the reserves/national guard. I've never, ever, in my life heard a man say anything about a "hip dip."

"After Brian said this a gun fired in the distance, and eagle swooped down with an ice cold beer; because America knew his words to be true."

I have never heard of hip dips either though. And thank you for your service Brian.
  • Angelamday3371
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I will also add, you don't want to be doing a bunch of random exercises to correct the hip dips and forget the rest of the body. Honestly, following a program like Strong Curves (which includes a very well rounded focus on all the parts of the glutes), eating at least at maintenance to build muscle can help OR maybe it won't... at the end of the day I don't even care because of how amazing my body has become.
    Thank you very much I will look into it