Supplements to increase appetite?

Options
I have been working out with a trainer to gain muscle for the past 2 1/2 months. I started at 120. I've lost 4 pounds of fat and gained a little bit of muscle. I'm just concerned that I'm not moving faster because I'm not getting my calories... which also makes me really cranky all the time. I don't have an appetite unless it's been hours since my last meal.

When I started working out I cleaned up my eating a lot which meant that I was full on 800 calories per day and of course really bad for me.
I've added rice, white bread, and pasta back on to my diet, but even then I'm not hitting my 2200 cal/day because like I said I have no appetite and I get full really fast.
So... back to my question any supplements that stimulate your appetite? I see a few things online but I'm not sure how good they are.

( also... I know the kind of diet I need. I have to eat snacks, shakes and all that... pack 100 grams of protein...I try! But I can't physically eat that much food if I'm never hungry.) When I was a kid I was given a syrup that made me hungry but I can't remember what was on it.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

I wouldn't bother with a stimulant because you will need to learn how to eat or you will lose all your gains. Add in some calorie dense foods and drinks: fairlife chocolate milk is my current favorite.
  • Nat_cb
    Nat_cb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I see what you mean and it's a good point. I read that thread before I posted, but my frustration is that I do have access to all those foods, but not having an appetite makes it really hard to eat a reasonable amount of them.It's frustrating.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Generally, exercise is a stimulant. For some its cardio and others heavy lifting.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You also might have to force it until your body adapts. Long term calorie suppression can suppress hunger hormones... overfeeding can reverse that
  • Sofia_Garcia
    Sofia_Garcia Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Interresting Facts! "Ghrelin Hormone" (Edit Post)
    Posted on 8/11/2017 by Sofia_Garcia

Interresting facts: Ghrelin Hormone!

Study finds that Plain Carbonated Water has 6 times more "Ghrelin hormone" than regular water.
    But whats this Hormone about? uhmmmm......
    "Ghrelin Hormone" or know has "Hunger Hormone" its a substance released primarily by the stomach and intestines and stimulates your appetite. Ghrelin rises when the stomach is empty and falls when you’re full, but levels can also be affected by lots of other factors. Studies have shown that lack of sleep, stress, and extreme dieting can make ghrelin levels rise. Exercise, rest, and muscle mass can decrease ghrelin levels. Generally, when your ghrelin levels are high, you feel hungrier and are more likely to eat more. Scientists believe that this can increase your risk of obesity.

Hope it helps!!!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Here's a weird one I won't really recommend long term...sleep less and find something to worry about.

Seriously, these are culprits in the majority of overweight folks and a serious concern for professional bodybuilders trying to lose fat. Since you are trying to gain, and to increase your appetite. This could be something that could work. Of course you'll still be cranky :(

psuLemon's given you some good ideas, I'd suggest drinking your calories as one thing that could help. Our brains don't register liquid calories as well when telling us "we're full".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Just eat pizza. I hate these trainers that say to eat "clean" to gain "lean muscle". All muscle is lean. And if you're gaining muscle, you're going to gain fat anyway. Just meet your calorie allowance. Under eating isn't going to get you muscle and you'll be stuck for a long time trying to do it that way. Gaining muscle takes a calorie surplus and the body doesn't really care how you do it.
    When I was told to eat 4000 calories plus a day to gain weight, there's NO WAY I could do it just eating "clean". But when I added pizza and some fast food along with some whole foods, it was EASY to meet calorie goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Generally, exercise is a stimulant. For some its cardio and others heavy lifting.

Not sure if it's due to the caffeine I take which is naturally an anti-suppressant, but working out has never increased my appetite, I wish it did and that's what most people say, but not with me!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Nat_cb wrote: »
    I have been working out with a trainer to gain muscle for the past 2 1/2 months. I started at 120. I've lost 4 pounds of fat and gained a little bit of muscle. I'm just concerned that I'm not moving faster because I'm not getting my calories... which also makes me really cranky all the time. I don't have an appetite unless it's been hours since my last meal.

When I started working out I cleaned up my eating a lot which meant that I was full on 800 calories per day and of course really bad for me.
    I've added rice, white bread, and pasta back on to my diet, but even then I'm not hitting my 2200 cal/day because like I said I have no appetite and I get full really fast.
    So... back to my question any supplements that stimulate your appetite? I see a few things online but I'm not sure how good they are.

( also... I know the kind of diet I need. I have to eat snacks, shakes and all that... pack 100 grams of protein...I try! But I can't physically eat that much food if I'm never hungry.) When I was a kid I was given a syrup that made me hungry but I can't remember what was on it.

I've always had difficulty trying to eat more, what I like to do is to eat foods I enjoy eating, and small meals throughout the day, so essentially I'm never super full or super hungry, I'm just sort of hungry and sort of full, does that make sense? Also, liquid nutritional supplements like Boost or Ensure are great, except some have lots of sugar so be careful with that. As psuLemon said earlier, caloric dense foods as in foods with high fat content, people often are afraid to eat fat because when you say the word the fat, you most likely think of a big belly, but fat is actually very good for your body. An example, 2 tbsp. of Peanut Butter is 190 calories! I have 3 tbsp. twice a day giving me 285 cal each, this doesn't make me super full and provides a decent amount of calories!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I can eat chips, pizza, hamburgers, fries, and easily knockout 3000 calories while still feeling hungry. I can eat veggies, eggs, lean meats, oatmeal, and barely reach 1500 calories without feeling like I'm going to puke from being stuffed. It's crazy the volume of food you have to eat to reach your calorie goal when you eat "clean."