Why we fell for clean eating

Options

I found this article to miss the point entirely.

https://theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/11/why-we-fell-for-clean-eating

She was a “gluten-free, sugar-free, oil-free, grain-free, legume-free, plant-based raw vegan”. What? This is supposed to be a typical clean eater?

I think most people consider "clean eating" to comprise eating a diet with higher purity standards, i.e., fewer industrial food laboratory additives. For example, you choose to eat a cookie with 5-6 ingredients instead of 25 ingredients, or a steak from a cow that was not injected with steroids, hormones, or antibiotics. But you are still eating cookies and steak; clean eating doesn't necessarily speak to the type of food you are eating. I think this article mischaracterizes the philosophy.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I found this article to miss the point entirely.

https://theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/11/why-we-fell-for-clean-eating

She was a “gluten-free, sugar-free, oil-free, grain-free, legume-free, plant-based raw vegan”. What? This is supposed to be a typical clean eater?

I think most people consider "clean eating" to comprise eating a diet with higher purity standards, i.e., fewer industrial food laboratory additives. For example, you choose to eat a cookie with 5-6 ingredients instead of 25 ingredients, or a steak from a cow that was not injected with steroids, hormones, or antibiotics. But you are still eating cookies and steak; clean eating doesn't necessarily speak to the type of food you are eating. I think this article mischaracterizes the philosophy.

I started to read the article but it was way too long and I lost interest.

When I first read about clean eating I liked the concept of cooking and eating wholesome foods with minimal processing prior to purchase.

There are many variations of clean eating and if we had 30 people in a room I doubt they would agree on a definition, but the example provided in the article introduction goes beyond even extreme clean eating.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    All good points. I felt like this article chose the ultimate strawman version of the clean eater, the person with an excessively restrictive eating regimen. I don't think most people accept this variation as representing clean eating.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    All good points. I felt like this article chose the ultimate strawman version of the clean eater, the person with an excessively restrictive eating regimen. I don't think most people accept this variation as representing clean eating.

I read the whole thing and the point seemed to be that there is not a single definition and that it is easy to take it to extremes like the unfortunate first example did. For the life of me, I could not think where she was getting enough protein without eating legumes and grain.

Anyway, I am not a clean eater. I do try to eat mostly things my parents' parents would recognize. The grandparents were born between 1890 & 1911. Food was processed, but not packed with preservatives that I can't pronounce.

Peanut butter cookies made with pb, egg and brown sugar like Granny made them, for instance. Fresh veggies when possible. Home canned or frozen if not. If I could get raw milk without driving 90 minutes to get it I would. I can't, so I buy whole milk at my local grocery. My lunch today will be Pinto beans with chow chow and onions, spiced apples, and cornbread. There will be Shepherds pie for dinner.

The people who make me crazy are the ones who say, "I don't eat processed food," while drinking vanilla soy milk. Ummm, you're drinking a vanilla flavored liquefied bean. You do you, but don't say that's not a processed food.

1) I agree that there isn't a single definition of "clean eating" and it means something different to everyone. However, the version that the woman in this article practiced is extreme, and the rejection of this version doesn't equate to a rejection of some variation of "clean eating" or that it was something that we "fell for".

2) Your version is sensible, striving for more simplicity and less laboratory derived ingredients. I aspire to this, but in reality, practicality dictates that I eat a lot of foods I would prefer not to because I'm just too busy.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Options

I read the whole thing and the point seemed to be that there is not a single definition and that it is easy to take it to extremes like the unfortunate first example did. For the life of me, I could not think where she was getting enough protein without eating legumes and grain.

Anyway, I am not a clean eater. I do try to eat mostly things my parents' parents would recognize. The grandparents were born between 1890 & 1911. Food was processed, but not packed with preservatives that I can't pronounce.

Peanut butter cookies made with pb, egg and brown sugar like Granny made them, for instance. Fresh veggies when possible. Home canned or frozen if not. If I could get raw milk without driving 90 minutes to get it I would. I can't, so I buy whole milk at my local grocery. My lunch today will be Pinto beans with chow chow and onions, spiced apples, and cornbread. There will be Shepherds pie for dinner.

The people who make me crazy are the ones who say, "I don't eat processed food," while drinking vanilla soy milk. Ummm, you're drinking a vanilla flavored liquefied bean. You do you, but don't say that's not a processed food.

What people need to realize is that in that time there was still preservatives and being able to pronounce it or not is no seal of quality. At the time your grandparents were born, cocaine was used as medicine for just about everything, I think it a bit silly to base one's definition of healthy living on that time.

Also raw milk has a way higher risk of getting you sick than pasteurized, and for what benefit? It tastes a bit better maybe?

Is this the point where someone posts the chemical composition of an apple, with all of those multisyllabic contents like Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Selenium, etc. ? ;)

I think that we can pick and choose what eating habits make sense from the past and incorporate them into our lives while rejecting the snake oil stuff. I don't see how additives like sodium nitrate, partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, BHA, BHT, Red or Yellow # whatever food dyes, etc., have benefited our food supply from a consumer standpoint since the "old days".
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I find "eating clean" a relative term that varies from person to person. While a few things tend to run the gambut of not clean (deep fried, most prepackaged sweets like Oreo's and Twinkies), a lot of argument for what is "clean" and what isn't persists. It is becoming a catch all term with very little meaning outside of advertising. I'll just stick to trying to have a nutritious diet that has a good balance of various foods, nutrients and vitamins.