6'4 229 pound male coming off of huge weight loss time to bulk?

Options
What's going on everybody I lost 120 pounds in just under a year and now I'm lost as to what i should do with my body do I still need to lose weight or should I start bulking now? The future goal is to get into body building looking for some advice I'll provide pictures also thanks everyone let me know.k0zps8l899ew.jpg
30e7jvtbjz79.jpg
6hbl4sy0swm2.jpg
t1z2w1qua0gf.jpg

Replies

• gg2007
    gg2007 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss!! amazing job! If i were you my next goal would be on building muscle and getting more defined, toned.
  • ONEQT
    ONEQT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    TeddyK4975 wrote: »
    heavy lifting at maintenance for a while would be my suggestion. give your skin chance to tighten up a bit. then see if you want to cut or bulk.

Agree completely!!!

Three times a charm on the agreement! I would also invest in some kind of BodyFat Measurement device (calipers, impedance handheld or scale or treat yourself to a professional session to gauge BF). As you begin to bulk (weight training), and women are soooo guilty of this, we only look at the pounds on the scale and get misled to believe that gaining weight is BAD. This will at least help you determine if you are gaining the "right" kind of weight and body composition, etc. Best of luck to you; your progress is AMAZING!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in and say congratulations on your weight loss! I leave the suggestions to the experts, but you are doing awesome :smile:
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. Ill agree with what the others have agreed on. I am curious, did you lift weights during your weight loss?
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss, excellent job. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, excellent job. I would agree with other posters eat at maintenance and lift heavy. It may be difficult for a while to get a good bodyfat % reading due to excess skin, but you want to be around 12% before bulking. If you have not been lifting weights long term, I would assume you are pretty far from that.

Best of luck.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would eat a small deficit while doing Starting Strength, and eating slightly higher cals the day before your lifts. Once you get down to 210-215, start a slow bulk until you reach current weight and repeat.
  • afroman2988
    afroman2988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss. Ill agree with what the others have agreed on. I am curious, did you lift weights during your weight loss?
    Yes I did but it was nothing intensive so I doubt I gained too much muscle if any.
  • afroman2988
    afroman2988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would eat a small deficit while doing Starting Strength, and eating slightly higher cals the day before your lifts. Once you get down to 210-215, start a slow bulk until you reach current weight and repeat.
    How small of a deficit would you recommend

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    How small of a deficit would you recommend

5-10% of your TDEE would be a good start.
  • Evilito
    Evilito Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the word bulking, strength training and perhaps a change in your macros but I don't think you would want to specifically eat towards gaining muscle mass at this point - you should be able to work with what you have for a while to come being new to body building - do you know your body fat percentage? That can give you an indication of how far you can take it while maintaining your current weight.