Strength training options

Options
Hi there,

I exercise quite a lot and I love it. I cycle, I swim, I hike, I do yoga.
But I don't like lifting weights. It's so boring to me. The only thing I think about it getting out and doing something else.

What other types of exercise provide good strength training?

Replies

• Alldaygainz
    Alldaygainz Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How's about some body weight exercises like chin ups, push ups and dips
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do lifting weights like you see at the Olympics. Challenging your muscles with 'more' than they are accustomed to is important to being overall healthy and especially to ageing well. I don't know your precise age if it's not 35, but lifting is something I must begin doing more of soon if I hope to age well from here at 54.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you tried TRX suspension straps? Invented by a Navy seal.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme program and I'm loving it! I'm starting week 4 on Monday. Most workouts are 30-46min long and are FUN! You can see plenty of reviews on youtube as well as sample of workouts. I am already feeling stronger and fitter. I've been exercising and doing something or other most of my life, so I'm not a novice, but doing strength training 3 x week, is making a difference.
  • solovino1
    solovino1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Body weight training is good. Sand bags are good. Gymnastic rings are good. Funk Roberts is good. Light weights used to ring out every bit of pain is very good indeed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I exercise quite a lot and I love it. I cycle, I swim, I hike, I do yoga.
    But I don't like lifting weights. It's so boring to me. The only thing I think about it getting out and doing something else.

What other types of exercise provide good strength training?
    So strength training is progressive in resistance. Are you looking to increase strength or just to "resistance" train for better muscle tone? Because if it's the latter, then the other stuff you're doing is just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I've gotten some strength gains from rowing, though it's slower than weights. Boat or machine works, but boat is way more fun. ;) More legs (by lots) than kayaking.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    try HIIT
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Take up a sport. Almost any sport, you'll end up doing a lot of body weight work that you'll build some muscle while having fun.

Do body weight exercizes. No need to invest in a gym membership or buy a bunch of home equipment.
  • callyhockey
    callyhockey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something like crossfit. It takes weightlifting and makes it a lot funner by having a group and working towards getting the challenge done as fast as possible.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    try HIIT

Exactly how would HIIT, a regimen designed to increase aerobic capacity, be considered strength training?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do lifting weights like you see at the Olympics. Challenging your muscles with 'more' than they are accustomed to is important to being overall healthy and especially to ageing well. I don't know your precise age if it's not 35, but lifting is something I must begin doing more of soon if I hope to age well from here at 54.

I'm 66 and I approve this message. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance tubes and bands. Then I bought a book on strength training for women. Mostly, I follow one of the routines provided in it (a combination of dumbbells ranging from 3-12 lbs, ankle weights to 10 lbs, stability ball, cardio step, and body weight). Occasionally I do a cardio-and-weights interval workout instead.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I use Jefit app on PlayStore and find it really nice to create my own workouts and track my progress
  • vivalavida82
    vivalavida82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, I'll look into them.
    I think the idea of rowing, and boating :-)

Ninerbuff, you are right, im not necessarily interested in getting super strong, just healthy and toned. And I know the key to success I having fun with it.
    I'm just feeling a little flabby in the upper body right now :neutral: