Carbs

Options
I'm trying to bulk and my app recommends I eat a little over 300 carbs a day but in my bulk I'm trying to limit the amount of fat I get especially around my stomach becuase I'm I guess you would say skinny fat in clothes I look super skinny but I still have a stomach is this amount of carbs okay to intake everyday to get muscle becuase it has been hard for me to drop the weight I have and I don't want to get a lot of it back thanks for your help I'm new to this

Replies

• ericmorrill3
    ericmorrill3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey!

First of all welcome to road to gains!

This is my opinion but please feel free to do your own research. When it comes to gaining weight, and gaining weight in specific areas, this is going to come to a lot of genetics. The amount of calories your are eating, and the type of food especially, is not going to target one area specifically. Right now if your goal is to gain muscle, do not worry about your stomach. This is all new! The last thing you need to be worrying about is a specific area.

Work on familiarizing yourself with all of the basic exercises first. Bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc. Start with body weight or bars only and focus on the correct movements and using the muscles effectively for each exercise. Once this is done you will feel more confident and can put together a true plan.

You just started a journey. Most of us have been doing this a long time.

Let us know how we can help!
  • jschaaf1999
    jschaaf1999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey!

First of all welcome to road to gains!

This is my opinion but please feel free to do your own research. When it comes to gaining weight, and gaining weight in specific areas, this is going to come to a lot of genetics. The amount of calories your are eating, and the type of food especially, is not going to target one area specifically. Right now if your goal is to gain muscle, do not worry about your stomach. This is all new! The last thing you need to be worrying about is a specific area.

Work on familiarizing yourself with all of the basic exercises first. Bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc. Start with body weight or bars only and focus on the correct movements and using the muscles effectively for each exercise. Once this is done you will feel more confident and can put together a true plan.

You just started a journey. Most of us have been doing this a long time.

Let us know how we can help!
    Thanks you so much for your help
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Read this, and grasp why your focus on carbs may be misplaced, given your concern: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/

We really can't answer the question "is 300g okay" without knowing the full context of your diet and energy needs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm trying to bulk and my app recommends I eat a little over 300 carbs a day but in my bulk I'm trying to limit the amount of fat I get especially around my stomach becuase I'm I guess you would say skinny fat in clothes I look super skinny but I still have a stomach is this amount of carbs okay to intake everyday to get muscle becuase it has been hard for me to drop the weight I have and I don't want to get a lot of it back thanks for your help I'm new to this

It's not uncommon for very skinny/low weight individuals to still have a stomach. It's because they don't have adequate lean body mass, nor have developed stomach muscles. At best, you want to limit your calorie surplus to around 10% over your TDEE, eat adequate protein (~1g per lb), and follow a well structured lifting program (see link below).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That is all general thoughts, so if you want more specific advice, we need more information; weight, height, bf if you have it, lifting program, pic if you have it.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That's a tough one. A small surplus for bulking is a good thing, you don't need very much to put on muscle. A nice number for carbs during a bulk is 2g/lb. The carbs are good for your recovery, but your total calorie surplus and your lifting program will have more to say about how much fat you gain around your midsection, but make no mistake, on a bulk, you will gain fat along with your muscle. The number of carbs you eat has relatively no bearing on how much fat you will gain, compared to the impact your total calorie surplus will.

I'm interested to know your stats, and concerned the same as you, that you found it hard to drop the weight in the first place. You may do better to get a handle on that before you bulk.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat... Quite the opposite. It's the sole provider of many of the building blocks of your hormones.
    Fat is more calorie dense (9 vs 4 per gram) but it also helps make you feel both full and happy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat... Quite the opposite. It's the sole provider of many of the building blocks of your hormones.
    Fat is more calorie dense (9 vs 4 per gram) but it also helps make you feel both full and happy.

I think you may have misunderstood his original post. He is not concerned with fat intake. He is concerned with fat gain around his stomach.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I think you may have misunderstood his original post. He is not concerned with fat intake. He is concerned with fat gain around his stomach.

Might have misinterpreted OP's statements "I try to limit the amount of fat I get" to mean input.
    Good catch.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

To point out, fat doesnt fill everyone. I cut it because it doesnt fill me up which makes me sad. Carbs and protein make me happy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

To point out, fat doesnt fill everyone. I cut it because it doesnt fill me up which makes me sad. Carbs and protein make me happy.

Had a big pile of grilled veggies tonight. Fennel, purple onion, zucchini and red peppers. Delicious, filling and low cal. What's not to like??