Trying to gain weight!

Options
I'm new to all this so bear with me please. I'm 5ft and weigh about 46kg. Apparently this is within the correct weight for my him but I want to weigh a bit more. I'm tracking my calories and am eating enough to put weight on but am still losing ! I'm certainly not doing exercise to counteract the calories either. I'm eating approx 2000 calories per day. Any advice?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight you're not eating enough calories. Your options are to either start counting calories accurately and stop approximating or to simply start eating more. You may want to reconsider the no exercise thing and start some sort of strength training. That way you'll gain some muscle rather than all fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I'm tracking my calories and am eating enough to put weight on but am still losing !...

If you're still losing, you're not eating enough to put weight on.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You're probably over estimating how much food you are eating. Eat some more :) any kind you want.
  • Trace160572
    Trace160572 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may want to reconsider the no exercise thing and start some sort of strength training.

I do lots of walking and moving as I teach in a special school. It's the school hols at the minute so I'm not as active as usual but certainly not sedentary. I will try some strength training though, thanks for advice
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ice cream.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP to gain .5 lbs a week.
    Buy yourself a food scale and weigh all your food. Liquids with cups and spoons.

Take time to learn the database, there are a lot of incorrect entries so compare with the package, or use entries that are from the USDA.

Find a good lifting programme to follow, it will improve your body composition. Use a dumbbell/barbell programme, or follow a bodyweight programme.
    Eat back the calories you burn lifting.

Cheers, h.
  • Patty_Grace
    Patty_Grace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to gain weight but it feels wrong not to exercise. I'd suggest you exercise because (for me) that tends to boost appetite. As a result you're more hungry and you generally eat more
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Read that. It should help you with strategies and food. But lifting heavy things makes me hungry, so you could try that as well.