Lifting with injured wrist

Options
I have possible ligament tear in right wrist, don't know more until after 09/20 when I get my MRI. I have rested it over a month now, but it's not getting better, so I guess I just have to live with it.

What are my options for lifting? I'm doing Strong Curves for now, since I can put some strain on my hand (when it's wrapped tight), but can't have any bodyweight on it. Bending it back is the worst, keeping straight (bench press, for example) gives some pain with empty bar, but not too much more than I've had from everyday activities like clapping or closing car door. What are some wrist-easy programs you'd suggest, should I feel like switching up the exercise?

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Lay off upper body exercises until you know what's wrong with your wrist. Maybe do lower body exercises - squats, lunges, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Rest it. Wait for the MRI & get it fixed. Don't wind up like me, with a wrist injury in my 20's that I didn't properly take care of and now in my 40's have to find a work around and am limited on so many common movements.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd not do anything with it. It really needs to heal. This will really hamper your lifting, but it is far, far better to get it fixed up than to make it worse forever. Maybe work on abs for a month?
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    as others have said, rest till its fixed.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Be very careful! Wait for the MRI, and then discuss with your doctor. Make sure you explain completely your lifting and exercise plans. Doctors don't know what we do, or try to do, unless we tell them. I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in my wrist and hand and now wear a brace. I cannot even pick up a gallon of milk!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If it's torn, it may not "get better" on it's own.
  • topomapper
    topomapper Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is good practice for you. If you push hard you will be injured. As you get older there will be more...way more injuries. Badge of honor. First thing to get is to stop what's causing the problem until it's fully recovered.

Good place to have an injury because you can really bust it out in the lower half until it's fixed.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    You most likely injured your wrist in push exercises like bench press or overhead press by holding the barbell with your fingers rather than base of palm.
  • Kollane
    Kollane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nope. I first injured it by falling while ice-skating 8 years ago. I got put into a cast for a week due to sprain, nothing got broken. the ligaments probably got injured too, as my wrist kept aching under heavy, but nothing major. Lived with it, until I did too enthusiastic burpee. Landed on my hand heavy and most likely broke the ligament again, or perhaps I had some healed scar tissue that I managed to break.

I kinda hope I'll get surgery. Then, at least, it'll be fixed for good.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    ok. those 2 (BP & OP) are worst for the wrist among compound exercises if done wrong. something to keep in mind after recovery.
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think if pain occur be carefully with doing anything with wrist..in my view you doing wrong that's y pain occur..so correct it do well
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My one piece of advice for after surgery: wrist wraps. A good, stiff set does wonders for any kind of wrist pain. It's borderline necessary for those handling heavy weights (the wrist is obviously the least stable joint in the arms), but even on my wider grip warm-up sets, it transfers almost all tension from my hand directly into the forearm. Really awesome for heavy front and back squats too.