Bulking - getting full

Options
EmmaCaz4
EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
Right, I'm on my first ever bulk and have just upped to maintenance and then will keep upping over the next month and abit until I'm at a good surplus for my bulk but I'm struggling already.

I've not changed much in my diet, gone from egg whites to whole eggs on a morning and changed my afternoon salad to chicken and veg which I'll eventually get some carbs into and also added creatine into my diet.

As soon as I hit my afternoon meal, I eat about half of it and then get to the point where I can't swallow anymore as I'm so full. Any ideas on how to stop getting so full so quick considering I've hardly changed anything? Been on maintenance about 2weeks.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Adding more calorie dense food, increasing meal frequency, not limiting yourself to only "clean" foods. This thread has some more great info and should be able to help you out

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    I eat nuts/ avocado/ Greek yoghurt etc and eat a normal tea. I'm good at switching things up with evening meals -
    Meats, carbs, veg sauces and I do allow myself treats and switch my lunches round too but no matter what I'm always full in my afternoon meal. Driving me mad as I can't finish the meal...
  • sardelsa
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? What are your macros? Maybe you need to cut down on protein if it is too high or fibre.

You may have to play around with your meal timing, eat when you are hungry, eat smaller meals vs larger meals... eat as soon as you wake up and right before you go to bed. I am very hungry at night so when I was bulking my lunches didn't change much but I would eat double for dinner.

Also take notes of what calorie dense foods don't fill you up and eat those more often. For me it was drinking my calories and making 1000cal smoothies that got me through, oh and Ben & Jerrys every night :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swap chicken to something higher cals
  • EmmaCaz4
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm at about 1700 cals currently which is maintenance for me plus exercise cals most days so usually between 1700-2000.

It's going to take some getting used to I Think. I've always been on a weight loss programme until the last 6 months I did a cut to drop bodyfat and now on my 1st bulk I think my body is taking some time adjusting and filling up quicker because it's confused...

I eat first thing otherwise I feel sick and have started having casein shakes last thing because I struggle to get food down before bed so a shakes all I can handle... think I need to give my body abit longer to adjust.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    I'm at about 1700 cals currently which is maintenance for me plus exercise cals most days so usually between 1700-2000.

It's going to take some getting used to I Think. I've always been on a weight loss programme until the last 6 months I did a cut to drop bodyfat and now on my 1st bulk I think my body is taking some time adjusting and filling up quicker because it's confused...

I eat first thing otherwise I feel sick and have started having casein shakes last thing because I struggle to get food down before bed so a shakes all I can handle... think I need to give my body abit longer to adjust.

What are your stats?

1700 isn't really a load of calories.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Yea 1700 isn't very much.. I am currently eating 2500 and losing, and I was bulking on 3500 or more.

Maybe try to increase your calories slowly every day
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It will take time to get used to the extra calories. When I did my first bulk, I was on in or around 4,000 calories daily. Took a while to get used to but once I did, I found that spreading out the calories throughout the day into 4 meals and 2 snacks as well as pre logging the diary helped a lot. Everyone is different and therefore how long it will take you to get used to the extra calories is hard to say.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    My stats are: 5 ft 6 and 10st 10lb. Was losing 0.5-1lb per week on 1550cals, just upped to 1700-2000 2wks ago. Dependent on training days as to the variety in cals currently. Gradually increasing it every week or few days over the next month to let my body get used to it but struggling at maintenance this is what I mean. Not even got cals up properly yet and I'm struggling... hence the question of how to help.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My stats are: 5 ft 6 and 10st 10lb. Was losing 0.5-1lb per week on 1550cals, just upped to 1700-2000 2wks ago. Dependent on training days as to the variety in cals currently. Gradually increasing it every week or few days over the next month to let my body get used to it but struggling at maintenance this is what I mean. Not even got cals up properly yet and I'm struggling... hence the question of how to help.

If you were losing a pound a week on 1550 then you need 2050 for maintenance. Opening your diary might help. Plus find some pals with similar calirie goals to see what they eat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are over 2000 calories in a dominos meat feast pizza.

Change your food choices. There's a reason we have an obesity crisis with so many high calorie foods readily available.
  • EmmaCaz4
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Fair enough, useful info. Ok well I'm working my way to maintenance then and struggling.... that's even worse than I thought thanks for that ha!! :D

I'm reluctant to opening my diary because I don't want my food criticising when nobody knows what my stomach can and cannot handle except me and I kind of need to learn to decide what works for my stomach best and my needs food wise. (Just personal thing). The reason for the post was to see if anyone else had been through a similar thing and what they found helped. I can then think through and adjust foods as and when necessary. Hope that makes sense. It's been a long journey so far and I want to ensure I'm doing things for me and eating what I like and want rather than people (like some do) saying you should and should not eat this and that. I eat all my calories, I'm not stupid enough not to. I eat to fuel me and my workouts, I wanna get strong and I want to do a fairly clean bulk too but with some allowances. Minimal bodyfat increase and mostly muscle mass increase.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options

Change your food choices. There's a reason we have an obesity crisis with so many high calorie foods readily available.

Can't eat cheese or dairy products except yoghurt being an exception
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Can't eat cheese or dairy products except yoghurt being an exception

Pizza was merely an example. Plus there are dairy free pizzas I'm sure!