Weight Gain Tips ??

Options
I'm 5'0 and 97 lbs but I'd really like to be at least 110+, I'm very petite and want to bulk up a bit while putting on muscle. I started working out 2 weeks ago but I'm having a hard time meal prepping and eating enough cals. How many cals should I eat a day? MyFitnessPal is telling me 2300, it's hard for me to even eat half of that. What should I do?

Replies

• hmicheal763
    hmicheal763 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look for high calorie foods
    Do the opposite of ppl trying to lose weight. Eat lots of junk and deep fried crap, drink soft drinks or chocolate milk. minimise exercise. Eat a lot of times a day. For example you get up and eat asap. Eat again an hour later have a snack before lunch eat lunch eat an hour after lunch snack throughout the afternoon eat dinner eat another dinner 2 hours later snack sleep.
    I have to eat over 3k and first I thought itd be impossible but its not really, if you eat regularly and focus on eating often you get the calories pretty high.
    If you havnt hit your calories for the day go get fast food or ice cream. My easy 1000 calories is 3 peanut butter and honey sandwiches and a cup of full cream milk.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do not go and eat junk food unless you want to increase your fat significantly over a short period of time and screw your health markers by upping your cholesterol, blood pressure and insulin response.
    Eat fresh unprocessed foods as you would when maintaining weight. Eat full fat options of yogurt, milk, and fattier cuts of meat. Increase your portion sizes. Make sure you are getting a good amount of protein: between 0.8 and 1g per lb of body weight and then fill the rest with carbs and fat.
    Obviously you have a few more calories to play with so do have the chocolate and icecream and cakes but in moderation and make sure they are good quality and you enjoy them. Do not eat them just because you need to cram 300 calories into your day. I pre plan my meals for the week and up my portion sizes of these in most matters to meet my macros and calories instead of smashing the cake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and 97 lbs but I'd really like to be at least 110+, I'm very petite and want to bulk up a bit while putting on muscle. I started working out 2 weeks ago but I'm having a hard time meal prepping and eating enough cals. How many cals should I eat a day? MyFitnessPal is telling me 2300, it's hard for me to even eat half of that. What should I do?

peanut butter
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

peanut butter

& ice cream.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great high calories and good for you.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Read psuLemon's post on hard gainers: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

You have to change your eating habits to effectively bulk. Whole foods not diet foods.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hang out with me for a week. All I do is gain and I still feel deprived.