For the competitors

Options
nlwrfa
nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
Hey there!!! Did my first strength challenge (strongman) this past Saturday and I didn't come in last! And man did I kill it! My deadlift 1 rep max was 205lbs going into it and I pulled 250lbs easily... not sure if it was the adrenaline pumping or what but if I had one more lift i could have easily done more. (I started with my known 1 rep max and we had to increase by 20lbs... didn't know I'd blow it out of the water!!) anyways first day back in the gym today (Wednesday) and I couldn't even do a 200lb farmers carry that I know and have done many many MANY times before. I felt like I got my *kitten* kicked after the competition for a few days but thought I was feeling pretty good today. Do you find your lifts completely blow the week after a competition? Is this something I should expect after every one? I'm trying to get ready for another one in November.

Edit: I know my numbers aren't impressive.. but they are to me lol. I just started lifting 3 months ago and I struggled to dead lift 60lbs

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I first started competing (bodybuilding and powerlifting) the week after a competition my nervous system is shot and my lifts suffered. It's not as bad now, but I usually deload or take a rest week now since I've often worked long and hard without deloading for the competitions.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right--I'm a runner, not a weightlifter, but the same thing happens after my races... The following week my muscles feel like rubber and I can't run very fast. It's a physiological response--the competition was your "fight or flight" and your body dumped a ton of hormones to get you through it. Now you just have to wait for everything to come back to homeostasis. Take it easy on yourself--don't expect any PRs this week, get plenty of sleep, eat well... The more you train and compete (without over-training) it gets slightly less severe (but eventually age starts to affect your recovery too, which is where I am right now).
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    We run OCRs and I'm pretty useless at anything for a week afterwards lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty normal. Some people are fine, but I and most of the people I know either take the week off, or just go in for some light work the week immediately after a meet.
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feed back. I was getting pretty frustrated that I couldn't even budge the farmer carry. It was like starting over day one again. I think I'll just do some walking this week and then try again next week!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty good, my training is specifically programmed with a heavy intensity day at the end of the week just as if there is a meet.